• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Y
Nov 26, 2007
I change my oil after every snobike ride, I figure the engine is workng pretty hard and should be done. What oil are people using. I have gone form yamalube to Shell Rotella diesel full synthetic 5w40. Other thoughts

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Shell Rotella T (white bottle) 15w-40 changed every 1-2 rides. Rekluse recommends this oil.

$12.49 per gallon at Wal-Mart. It's the only thing I buy there.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I always ran rotella 10 40 but just switched to the sun 5 40 too

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
So far I've had a couple people specifically warn me about Rotella-T Synthetic. It's not supposed to be used in a wet clutch. Two people said that their clutches started to squeal when they used it and went right back to the conventional white bottle.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I would be very cautious of choosing a non motorcycle specific oil, even if in the past you've used a given product without problems, the product might be forced to change over time to evolve as the Diesel Particular Filters and catalysts changes on the trucks. I don't doubt that Rotella has been good oil in the past, but I also think that their additives are now different than they used to be. The EPA and API work together and current specs of oils have MORE to do with emmissions than they do for ultimate lubrication for your high wearing motor parts, like cams, lifters, piston, big and small end bearings.

I would urge you to all to revisit your oils, and DO NOT just assume the oil you have used time and time again year to year is the same. If the API spec has been updated to CJ-4, or SN then it's definately NOT something you should run in a high revving bike. There simply is not enough Zinc or Phosphorous to protect your engine.

A quality motorcycle oil like Maxima is a safe choice as it's meant for OFF ROAD USE, and as a result focuses on engine protection rather than emission reduction.

Do some research, and you'll see I'm not just trying to scare you.

Jon

ps. I ONLY run Maxima 530MX in my snowbike, and after 4 seasons on it, I would not consider using anything else.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Why would a oil that is lubing 70,000 RPM turbo bearings not be suitable for a 9,200 RPM motor? I'm not trying to nitpick, but if your concern is oil breakdown then I don't think you'll have much to worry about with Rotella. Plus, add the fact that we are only using the oil from 6-10 engine hours per change.

Oil just seems to be one of those constant "X is better than Y, I promise!" areas. The only reason I use Rotella is the list of praises by MX riders is long. I must have spent hours upon hours researching my choice and Rotella is one of the highest recommended.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I use rottella because I have a rekluse clutch and they say that is the reccomended oil, I just used syn for the first time last oil change and have not used it on the snow bike yet.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I use rottella because I have a rekluse clutch and they say that is the reccomended oil, I just used syn for the first time last oil change and have not used it on the snow bike yet.

So you used the syn? I dont think that any engines issues will come from that, just wondering about the clutch, did it seem to slip at all or squeel at engagement?

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
So you used the syn? I dont think that any engines issues will come from that, just wondering about the clutch, did it seem to slip at all or squeel at engagement?

That's what I though I haven't felt any slipping yet but haven't ridden very hard. Thought it would be better for cold weather

T
Nov 24, 2010
Im running Mobile1 MX4T. Its a high end full syn. I plan to change every 3 to 4 rides. It wont break down in that amount of time, but I do intend to look for signs of fuel in oil as it is an injected bike. Of course this all depends on if my Rekluse likes it. i changed it every 10 hrs on my previous KTM with zero issues. heck it didnt even get very discolored. Does anyone know if the 70* Bergs have T-stats.

Oz

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Shell Rotella T (white bottle) 15w-40 changed every 1-2 rides. Rekluse recommends this oil.

$12.49 per gallon at Wal-Mart. It's the only thing I buy there.
So I have used this same oil spring, summer and fall. Have you found that when the temps get into the 20's to 30's that the engine is very hard to start at first.... Like 10 kicks?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Im running Mobile1 MX4T. Its a high end full syn. I plan to change every 3 to 4 rides. It wont break down in that amount of time, but I do intend to look for signs of fuel in oil as it is an injected bike. Of course this all depends on if my Rekluse likes it. i changed it every 10 hrs on my previous KTM with zero issues. heck it didnt even get very discolored. Does anyone know if the 70* Bergs have T-stats.

Oz

They do unless it is an FX then no stat

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
Rotella T6 Full synthetic 5w-40. Wet clutch certified. Use it all year round. Starts easy in dead cold winter. $21 per gallon at Walmart. Love it.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Any thoughts on Ams-Oil full synthetic 10:40?

This is what i run, ran it since my bike was new. I ride mx, and trails, now have a mh kit installed. I have no plans on switching. Its been good oil, and its made for motorcycles. The one guy makes a good point about the epa, and api service. Diesel tech is constantly changing, and the oil is changing with it. So the oil you get today is vastly different than the oil from ten years ago. And really its not much surprise that the stuff that is good for your engine(sulpher, and zinc) are the worst for the environment. the new engines are designed to not need them as much by using roller cams, and junk... so personally, i feel more comfortable running an oil designed for the application, and paying more for the peace of mind. Who knows when the rotella will change, and you either lose your clutch, or the lobes on your cam when you're back in the hills? Just doesn't sounds like fun to me...but for the guys running diesel oil, i hope the best of luck for you!

Premium Features