• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 ptek motors

Dec 8, 2017
hello everyone, i had just bought a sled which is a 2009 skidoo mxz rengeade x 800r ptek. it has 6000 miles and bought it for 3800 bucks. Motor wise everything is stock. i have been reading and doing searches on the ptek and ive seen some very bad comments towards the ptek motor. im going up the UP this season and beginning to hesitate bringing this sled thinking it may blow up. Any help or owners of the ptek have any advice or tips? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Wow 6k on a stock motor, I would do a compression test on both cylinders and make sure they are up to par. Then I would send the clutches off to Sledhead Racing to have them go through them just to be safe. The ptek motors were great motors I thought never really heard of them having any bad habits from what I remember.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
The p tek is still a good motor, but with yours I’d be going threw it. Do a proper compression check, crank run out, go threw the clutches, clean the valves, carbs, check motor mounts, adjust the oiler, check the reeds, chaincase, etc. A really good look over.
If nothing has never be done to that thing, I’d be looking at doing a top end and a full rebuild for both clutches. Also fixing what else you find.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Without a new crank and pistons in its' life, you are on borrowed time my friend....

Call us @ SHR and TT BigJohn. We are up to our ears in sleds right now but we can take care of all of your Doo needs.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Without a new crank and pistons in its' life, you are on borrowed time my friend....

Call us @ SHR and TT BigJohn. We are up to our ears in sleds right now but we can take care of all of your Doo needs.

I’ve seen one motor go over 9000 miles with nothing done to it till one piston went down and the owner ran it hard in the mts. Also I’ve seen others not even make a 1000.
It’s a gamble on when they go, preventative maintenance is piece of mind. So it’s up to you.

Premium Features