• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 project

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That looks pretty sweet CD ! Can you tell us more about the donor bike and what was done to make it snow worthy ? How much do you have into just the bike part ?

Last edited:
C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
When I started this project, I wanted to see how much performance I could get and still be economical. It's pretty easy to spend over 15K Cdn. to build a snowbike in the great white north and I just didn't want to go that route. I knew the 500 2T are a bit crude, but there is no cheaper way to get power and lightweight. I found this 1990 CR500 locally and rode it a bit on the dirt before tearing it down, just so I knew what I had. So far I've got about 3000.00 into it including the cost of the bike. I tore it down and painted the frame, replaced the steering stem bearings, a bunch of powdercoating by Don Baker here in Revy, a KTM motard front fender and number plate, new cables, throttle tube etc, and decals. Nothing really snow specific yet other than the airbox. I'll probably have to get some heat around the carb, build a skid plate and a pipe protector but that's should be it. I've ordered a bigger carb which should be here this week, so it should see snow later this week. Can hardly wait to try it out!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Lookin good CD. Its hard to beat a CR500 for an all around great bike.
I highly recommend the rekluse and comp. release.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Any updates CD on final prep and parts ? Looks good on the video ? Anything quirky ? Suggestions or ideas to make 500 more snow friendly ?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
So after your first ride what needs changed, how did it hang with the 4 bangers? I watched the video it sounded like the bike wasn't running very good, I am betting the airbox was full of snow. I would strongly encourage you to delete that airbox or your going to be fighting it all season. What have you done to address carb icing?

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
Yes you are right, it was running very rich. This was partly due to the stock carb I was running and I was getting quite a bit of icing which made it run progressively richer through the day. It didn't help that the snow was waist deep either! Before my next ride I had received the PWK 39.5 carb, which was set up a little leaner. I also enclosed the carb in to retain some engine heat and it ran much better. I used a product called Dynamat, which is a foil backed thick tar paper used to cover floors of cars for heat and sound deadening, and enclosed from the rads back to the airbox. I will post a video shortly. The bike has around 75 HP, weighs a bit less than the 450 4T's, and has the new LT on it. It works very well. I ran it the next day, in similar conditions and was like night and day.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Found.

Since yours is up and running now and there has been so much interest in the CR here is a prime example a fellow has for sale on pnwriders.

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/177057-1989-cr500.html

PICT7079.jpg

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
So what is your comparison to a lightly modded KX450? Don't spare the details! You might need to see that bike in the spring to make a full assessment, though.

A
Dec 6, 2012
New to snowbiking, got a CR500/2-moto

Great thread!
I too am building an economical snow bike. A CR500 with a 2-moto kit... All used so its taken some work to get it rideable. I'll post pics of my project soon.

just joined Snowest!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
CD did you run the jetting that the EBay carb vendor suggested ? Have you got the jetting spot on or does the altitude change it noticably with your alt change in Revy ? Intellijet needed ?

Also did Eric do your porting ?

SB

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
How are you finding starting the bike in the backcountry to be?
Ive shredded many tech8 boots starting cr500's

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
I purchased my carb through carbparts.com and they pre-jetted it and gave me some extra jets. I've went to a leaner main jet but will go back to previous jetting as I'm getting other issues sorted. I have added a rear snorkel intake as I just couldn't get the airbox sealed up and breathing well. I've made a "box" around the carb out of a handle bar gauntlet to keep it warm. Also, I'm getting a handle on engine temps, as it is important that it runs hot enough. These have been issues mainly caused by riding in deep fluffy snow. I've had some problem with it running cleanly all the time but when running well this bike really works good. I'm still a little behind a new 800 in an outright open hill climb, but everywhere else, unless you're Chris Burant, it's no contest. It's still a 2 stroke so you have to keep the revs up and keep it in the powerband. It's buzzy and just not as friendly as a 4 stroke. Starting isn't too bad with the proper technique, certainly not much worse than bigger 4 strokes. It is quite a bit more nimble than them also. It has a nice wide seat but needs to be a gripper type. Porting was done by Mongoose in Vancouver and is a copy of Gore's. An Intellijet would be a good investment. All for now, will post more vids
Craig

Premium Features