• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex VS Viper

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
" I loved my Apex and struggled with the feel of the Nytro. Just couldn't deal with it after I built it so I sold it and stayed with the Apex."

My input was related to his above comment. If he didnt like the nytro he will also probably not like the viper.

To me a viper and nytro are not that much different. Then again I have yet to ride a viper that has a similar enough set up that I could do a fair comparison. The turbo version I have tested had some goofy skids and handle bar set ups that made it feel very awkward. I am sure in time as these sleds get more dialed in there will be improvement. I could never get used to the apex and felt more comfortable on the nytro.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
" I loved my Apex and struggled with the feel of the Nytro. Just couldn't deal with it after I built it so I sold it and stayed with the Apex."

My input was related to his above comment. If he didnt like the nytro he will also probably not like the viper.

To me a viper and nytro are not that much different. Then again I have yet to ride a viper that has a similar enough set up that I could do a fair comparison. The turbo version I have tested had some goofy skids and handle bar set ups that made it feel very awkward. I am sure in time as these sleds get more dialed in there will be improvement. I could never get used to the apex and felt more comfortable on the nytro.

To me the SR Viper is much more like the Apex then the Nytro...only MUCH lighter. But we all have opinions?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i have been on all 3 a fair bit & the viper feels lighter than the other 2 by a fair bit,its more stable than the nytro.it tips over easy but does not feel like it wants to keep going like the nytro,very stable like the apex down the trail not darty & twitchy like the nytro.viper is not as ski heavy as the other 2 feels more 2 stroke like but still a bit more nose heavy feel than a poo.in deep snow i rode the viper & pro back to back & was suprised how close they felt,yes you can feel the weight a bit more on the viper,but i love the 4 stroke power better.:face-icon-small-coo

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
i have been on all 3 a fair bit & the viper feels lighter than the other 2 by a fair bit,its more stable than the nytro.it tips over easy but does not feel like it wants to keep going like the nytro,very stable like the apex down the trail not darty & twitchy like the nytro.viper is not as ski heavy as the other 2 feels more 2 stroke like but still a bit more nose heavy feel than a poo.in deep snow i rode the viper & pro back to back & was suprised how close they felt,yes you can feel the weight a bit more on the viper,but i love the 4 stroke power better.:face-icon-small-coo

I drilled holes for the lower skid shock mount just forward of the wheel and mounted the shock there. This will fix that heavy nose feel on the Viper, I did this last year and the converted to MTX Viper felt just like my 2014 M8. I am told the new MTX has the M8 rails to go with the 7 tooth drivers so this should be fixed on 2015...I hope.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
yes i rode the 2015 too & they did feel a bit diff from the modded vipers,ski pressure wise the weight is not noticeable, but in more set up snow i could feel the 4stroke weight when on off camber stuff.for me they felt almost the same till the snow was set up then you can feel the weight a bit more but not enough to make me buy a poo.i was going to build a turbo poo this year & after riding the viper for me i will take the viper + a little boost -it air box mod:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap

catt_tracker

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2012
Idaho
Someone will transplant an Apex engine in a Viper and that will be the cats ***!! I'm not impressed with the 1050 3 cylinder. Might as well buy a 1100T AC. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the nytro/viper engine and the apex engine but boosted I know the apex makes more hp per pound. JMO

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Someone will transplant an Apex engine in a Viper and that will be the cats ***!! I'm not impressed with the 1050 3 cylinder. Might as well buy a 1100T AC. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the nytro/viper engine and the apex engine but boosted I know the apex makes more hp per pound. JMO

I know the Apex engine fairly well, owned one even rebuilt one and the Nytro engine produces more torque in my opinion (dyno numbers would be cool to see). I like more torque and less horsepower as I ride in the mountains. And of course everybody's opinions are different.

BTW, search the net one has been built I saw the pictures, but I would not expect it to become a craze when you can add a turbo fairly cheap to the Viper.

catt_tracker

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2012
Idaho
I've owned both the nytro and apex and there isn't even a comparison in my opinion. The apex pulled harder through the entire power band.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Interesting observation on the motor your defiantly correct....I'm certain everyone knew that going in...Fits right in with the class of 600/700 sleds. Sled is smooth as silk but still lacks the snappy feel found in 2strokes. Pro 600 RMK ran circles around the Viper the other day in head to head comparison.. When the snow gets REAL deep it's going to require boost to keep up with the crew...

Apex would launch you out of the hole when you grabbed the throttle.

DPG

Last edited:

catt_tracker

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2012
Idaho
I wasn't saying a manufacturer would do it. Everyone knows the bottom line is all that means anything to them. I was thinking one of the custom guys would put a turbo apex engine in a viper chassis. Maybe I'm just hoping! I think it would be a better match. Like I said before just my opinion. But we all know how much the 700 class mountain sleds influence the 4 stroke turbo market.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
They got their heart in the game, rode a WR- 250 6200 miles round trip to Deadhorse AK, from WA, keep dissing on us Yami guys, fork seal leak was it and lost 3oz out of 20 something, bring it!:face-icon-small-win

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
They got their heart in the game, rode a WR- 250 6200 miles round trip to Deadhorse AK, from WA, keep dissing on us Yami guys, fork seal leak was it and lost 3oz out of 20 something, bring it!:face-icon-small-win

I have no dought your WR-250 didn't miss a beat....My son rode his WR-426 to Nicaragua and would of road it back had it not been stolen.

DPG

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I loved my apex but I have yet to ride a viper. From what I see and hear the viper would be the way to go. I only wish we could get the 4 banger in there.
For now I'll stick with my modded nytro and nypex and see what Yamaha has in store for the next couple of years.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
there was a guy building kits to put the apex motor in the viper but he passed away this summer,not sure if anybody is going to continue the project.rpm & turbos work good together thats part of the reason the apex motor loves boost + it makes 20hp more stock it has a extra cylinder too.:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features