• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Chute Turbo Kit Falling on its face

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
like the title says

They do, the segments did not make the film. I personally watched both Dan and Trennis do some crazy climbs with their Big Chute Sleds.

Julio's had clutch/belt problems that we did not figure out until the end of March.

You guys keep talking about this 1 single problem sled when in fact there was 2 in our groupe , when we ran into julio his did not run good either that was 3 on the mountain that day

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
You guys keep talking about this 1 single problem sled when in fact there was 2 in our groupe , when we ran into julio his did not run good either that was 3 on the mountain that day

Was both or all three of the sleds setup by the same person or business ?

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
You should have kept your mouth shut instead of bashing my buddy who is a profecional mechanic, whos sleds run and perform flawlesly [exept that one] and he always is fixing a sled for someone and has a very good reputation

S
Dec 2, 2009
Central Alberta
Wow! Sure is a lot of bashing going on here. I can personally attest that evo's customer service is second to none. Last season I installed the evo 215 on my sled with all the goodies. On my first ride out it was giving me some grief. After several phone calls and texts with Gene at WKM from my hotel at 9:00 on a Saturday night. We did some trouble shooting. The next day I received e mails and pm's from Evo Jim trying to figure the problem out. Jim was more than willing to stand behind his product. It wasn't till I installed a coolant gauge on my sled late in the season that I realized that my coolant system wasn't properly bled and my sled was going into limp mode without the gauge showing a code. I am a proud evo customer and will do so for many years to come.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
You should have kept your mouth shut instead of bashing my buddy who is a profecional mechanic, whos sleds run and perform flawlesly [exept that one] and he always is fixing a sled for someone and has a very good reputation

Who is the mechanic? Did personally name who it is? I have know idea who it is. I don't know HCM or his mechanic and as far as I know I have not spoken to either of them. I didn't even name HCM in my original post.

As far as Julio's sled went, as far as I know, he was very happy with the kit. He just was not happy with the belt issues. Did he have a day when it didn't run properly, maybe. I spoke to Julio weekly and sometimes daily trying to help him with a problem (belts) that had nothing to do with us and I don't recall his sled not running right.

I have all the pictures and documentation I need to know that the install was not done properly. I am not going to post further on this topic unless you guys want to push it further.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
What?

Kind of funny Jim I called you at least 50 times last year and you were as good of help as my mom would have been so Y you so apt to help the new owner so much and bash me going to try and recoup the Evo name now, it would have worked better for you to have helped me out a little last year when asked. And for the record I did not install the kit and had replaced the gasket in question twice last year, have seen stock ones blown out there all so it still is not going to fix the heat soak problem they have so good luck with that one and still the best day of my life seeing that thing go down the road in the back of Clay's truck thanks again for taking it off my hands it is a great trail sled that is what it started as and that is what they still are keep them on the trail and out of the mountains and you will be happy I no I will be on my new Pro and it wont have any Evo Crap on it. OUT

Are you out of your mind? A trail sled! Are you saying this just 'cause you're mad? Or you're not strong enough to make it go where you want it to?

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
EVO Jim

I do have to say Jim's service is awesome! Giving out information/instruction on second-hand EVO parts and EVO parts bought through other distributors! My guess is he would rather help those guys out than listen to them bash his product after they've been installed incorrectly.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
They do, the segments did not make the film. I personally watched both Dan and Trennis do some crazy climbs with their Big Chute Sleds.

Julio's had clutch/belt problems that we did not figure out until the end of March.

Jim post up these shots that didn't make the video. I don't care if they had bad light, bad angles, etc. I just one time I want to see an 1100T make a respectable climb. And I personally don't care who's kit is on it.

Jim you may not have called out HCM by name but you put enough detail in your original post that your followers know exactly whats going on. So as a supplier if you can't handle a couple guys bashing on your stuff, I say toughen up and shut up. (by the way, do you think your are building customer base by this type of action, or not. I see your loyal dealers/sales guys have their nose up your butt, but wonder what the rest of the sledding community thinks?)

Secondly, part of selling a turbo system is clutching. I am pretty sure the clutching on the 1100T is still a trouble spot. Now this may have absolutely nothing to do with the aftermarket turbo and more to do with Arctic Cat but part of a complete package includes clutching.

So again lets see some real footage, lets see how many belts have been eaten.

As a reference: I personally installed my Twisted M1000 Turbo. Yep all by myself. And to this day I haven't had to spend a single dollar on extra parts, upgrades, intercoolers, clutching, programming, and I haven't had to call Shain on a weekly basis AND I ran the same belt for the entire season pushing 300+hp.

When a aftermarket company brags about customer service, and the number of times they have talked to specific customers, I personally begin to wonder "why are these guys having to call the supplier all the time, and they aren't out riding" Maybe I am missing something.

Last thing, Why do so many people make comments in the 1100T section. Honestly its the only section with the biggest amount of problems, it has the loudest voice in the cat section when it comes to sales pitches, and my sled can do this and yours can't. Most of the other sections are guys that just ride. So its fun to bash on the old 1100 guys, and it is a hoot to get them wound up.

Enjoy your big girls. I don't give a rats *** what you do, they are still 700+ pounds of crap when they are stuck.

PS if KSH or 1100T want to modify my post, or start a new thread and remove most of the comments that don't fit your line of thinking HAVE AT IT!

Cheers! :)

I know, I know, I know, shut up right. One last thing.

In our riding area we are pretty much Arctic Cat guys. We have about 10 turbos in the group. We have all been looking at the next best chute slaying sled, we all had hi hopes HCM could get his 1100T to perform. We watched him dump more cash, blood sweat and tears into that thing, and it NEVER ran with the M1000 RG turbos. We would have loved to see it do it. That would have given all of us hope that we could make the move, invest some money in aftermarket parts and enjoy what we do. But with the money pit, belt eating, and as you put it "falling on it's face" turbo setup, it looks like our 40+ with Arctic cat may come to an end.

Thunder

C
May 27, 2010
north idaho
This is exactly what snowmow is talking about. This guy just bought this sled but is already going to throw another 4k+ Into it to try and make it reliable.

For what I paid and for what I will have into this sled it will still work great for me with all the mods that it had when I bought it. ( K-mod rear suspension, new power claw track, BDX spindles, vertical steering Post, shock wave helix, BMP helix, hood vents, frog skins, Who BC275, Who cold air intake, EVO fan kit, EVO exhaust heat blanket,3 belts, Arctic Cat cover) and what I'm going to add to it (EVO V-map, and launch control, TCL delete, belt drive, new secondary, water methanol injection) it will be a blast this winter and when the snow is gone the motor and all the Evo upgrades are going into my rzr ( OH Ya!!!) for the summer so I will be getting a lot of use out of this sled.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Jim post up these shots that didn't make the video. I don't care if they had bad light, bad angles, etc. I just one time I want to see an 1100T make a respectable climb. And I personally don't care who's kit is on it.

Jim you may not have called out HCM by name but you put enough detail in your original post that your followers know exactly whats going on. So as a supplier if you can't handle a couple guys bashing on your stuff, I say toughen up and shut up. (by the way, do you think your are building customer base by this type of action, or not. I see your loyal dealers/sales guys have their nose up your butt, but wonder what the rest of the sledding community thinks?)

Secondly, part of selling a turbo system is clutching. I am pretty sure the clutching on the 1100T is still a trouble spot. Now this may have absolutely nothing to do with the aftermarket turbo and more to do with Arctic Cat but part of a complete package includes clutching.

So again lets see some real footage, lets see how many belts have been eaten.

As a reference: I personally installed my Twisted M1000 Turbo. Yep all by myself. And to this day I haven't had to spend a single dollar on extra parts, upgrades, intercoolers, clutching, programming, and I haven't had to call Shain on a weekly basis AND I ran the same belt for the entire season pushing 300+hp.

When a aftermarket company brags about customer service, and the number of times they have talked to specific customers, I personally begin to wonder "why are these guys having to call the supplier all the time, and they aren't out riding" Maybe I am missing something.

Last thing, Why do so many people make comments in the 1100T section. Honestly its the only section with the biggest amount of problems, it has the loudest voice in the cat section when it comes to sales pitches, and my sled can do this and yours can't. Most of the other sections are guys that just ride. So its fun to bash on the old 1100 guys, and it is a hoot to get them wound up.

Enjoy your big girls. I don't give a rats *** what you do, they are still 700+ pounds of crap when they are stuck.

PS if KSH or 1100T want to modify my post, or start a new thread and remove most of the comments that don't fit your line of thinking HAVE AT IT!

Cheers! :)

I know, I know, I know, shut up right. One last thing.

In our riding area we are pretty much Arctic Cat guys. We have about 10 turbos in the group. We have all been looking at the next best chute slaying sled, we all had hi hopes HCM could get his 1100T to perform. We watched him dump more cash, blood sweat and tears into that thing, and it NEVER ran with the M1000 RG turbos. We would have loved to see it do it. That would have given all of us hope that we could make the move, invest some money in aftermarket parts and enjoy what we do. But with the money pit, belt eating, and as you put it "falling on it's face" turbo setup, it looks like our 40+ with Arctic cat may come to an end.

Thunder

Martin,

Enough has been said about HCMs sled. I will not comment further.

With respect to the TS guys, it is not my footage to post. If our products didn't perform, we would not have been asked to sponsor them again this year. We are sponsoring them again this season.

Regarding customer service, anyone in the aftermarket business will tell you no matter how hard you try to make a product the best it can be and easy to install, some will have problems with the installation. Usually they are simple things and once they are fixed, the sled performs as it should. Shain makes a great kit, so do we. Do you think Shain has never had to take a tech support call?

There will be a video posted soon of one of our customers climbing Monster in BC.

There have been other videos of BC and SC equipped sleds climbing chutes, they are easy to find.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Good read

Thanks for the post.

This is why I backed out of the turbo business. I can build a turbo that can run good but can you and if i give it to you can you maintain it? Sometimes the problem is there is a lot of little things that can go wrong and they might have nothing to do with the turbo. Like someone mentioned their sled was going into limp mode took him most of the year to find it. I have literally had to pull a kit before to fix a sled so i could find the problem. I can say I have had really only 1 customer that had issues just like this and it turned out to be an issue with his sled not the kit and this was year 2 that this happened.

Don't get me wrong i love Boost but last year when BDX approached me about the Prolite I was like ya cool but i will probably put a turbo on by February due to the fact I have been riding boosted sleds since 06 and did not think I would be happy with out it. Well was I wrong it was about my 6th ride that I realized I no longer need my tool kit that I carry to work on sleds the stock tool kit was good. I lost 15 lb that day and we sold about 30 Prolites last year and no customer issues. I still work on turbos and might build another someday but you must know they require a lot of TLC and everything must be right for them to work. You can not have a small exhaust leak, you can not have a boost leak and if something goes wrong with the sled sometimes it is masked by the turbo part and will act totally different giving you the assumption that their is an issue with the turbo.

As a seller of anything its hard to make everyone happy in fact its impossible. All we can do is our best and sometimes that will not be good enough. Some venders quit and some just get thicker skin and then their are the ones that just do not care. It sounds like EVO is doing a good job continue the good work.

Good read thanks.:face-icon-small-coo

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Jeez, really?

The only problems i see in the 1100 section is 3 or 4 guys playin' the same old tunes we've heard before. I know there isn't a m1000 section for you guys to hang out in but we all know where you stand on the 1100, and we all value your opinions. Really we do. If anyone has anything "new" to add that would be welcomed by all. Believe it or not their are plenty of very satisfied 1100 owners with all kinds of aftermarket parts on them. It's true I swear. Including the 4 guys that traded m1000 on 1100's in my shop last year and couldn't be happier. Even a good running turbo. Crazy. To each his own.

Said it before, aggressively attack a product without 100% certainty, expect anyone to defend it when it is found to be not at fault. No different on any forum of any kind, or life in general.

1100s had belt problems, not aftermarket anything problems.

I dont do the social media thing but I did update my status here.��

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
FWIW...

While I never had any issues installing my BC kit (or any other aftermarket components on my sled), it should be noted that I am a liscenced journeyman mechanic. Therefore, ease of installation may vary between people doing the install. What one person may find to be a "walk in the park" may be out of reach of another's skillset. I might also add that although two mechanics may both hold a trade certificate (in Canada we call it a Red Seal), that doesn't make them equal when it comes to actually diagnosing or repairing problems. When you drop your sled off at the dealer, be aware that it COULD be the 18 yr old apprentice doing the work, which is OK if they have talent, not so much if they don't...
It is unfortunate that the original owner (and subsequent owner) have dealt with a few problems, but from my experience EVO's service has been great. Sometime a simple omission of details can result in an incorrect diagnosis, so anytime you have to call for tech assistance - give as much detail as possible. You wouldn't go to your doctor and simply say "I hurt"... you'd provide as much info as possible...

Premium Features