• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Rant about the recall collar.

P
I'm mainly posting here to vent I guess. Ok here's my story after not being able to afford a new sled since 03 I'm finally able to get a new one last Oct. So I call the 2 closest dealers both of which are about 300 miles away from me. Dealership "A" gives me a better price overall ( Dealership "B" has added bonuses but I felt I didn't need them) So I buy machine from "A" drive almost 600 miles round trip in a day to get machine.
First week of Dec. I needed to take family into "big city" for doctor and dentist appts. So I call dealer "B" for some parts I needed for a sled I'm working on for a guy. They cut me a 20% discount because they were having cyber deals after Thanksgiving. So I order more stuff for my new '13 and start saving up my "mad money" from my side jobs, I go into "B" to pick up my stuff and they have a set of "retro" take off panels, I said must have so they knocked off almost 100.00 off the price since I was getting other things.
Last week I get my letter and coupon from Polaris about the driveshaft fix. I call "A" and get message they are closed thru the New Year for vacation. OK.. so I call "B" later that day about parts for another machine I'm working on and ask about the collars. They said we can mail one out to you as your out "in the bush" as we say here in AK. But after talking to the service Manager they wouldn't ba able to as they only have so many collars and I didn't buy the machine from them. The collars are sent to the dealer assigned the VIN so my collar is at "A". So I patiently wait till "A" opens up today and call them.
Now I understand the importance of the warranty, I deal with that at work all the time but sometimes the vendor will allow us to do warranty work and bill them as it's cheaper than sending one of there own. I am an ASE certified Master Mechanic. I also worked part time in the Polaris shop that was here in my town
for several years. And both "A" and "B" dealers know this but "A" will not send me the collar, so now I have to drive 13 hour round trip 600 miles and spend 200+$ in fuel for a 30 min fix I damn well can do myself. It's just fustrating that one dealership is willing to go the extra for customer satisfaction. Now I said I'm "in the bush" but I'm at least on the road system, had I bought this machine and had to pay 1000.00 for air shipping to an even more remote area, would this mean I'd have to pay 1000.00 to get it to the dealer and another 1000.00 to get it back. Baloney.
Sorry to vent but maybe someone from Polaris will read this and contact me and help resolve this issue..

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Coulda had a Turbo M8 for 5k less than that POS Polaris!

Then all you would have is an overpriced POS with a hair dryer

Really tho, I'm sure those comments help this guy.

As to your rant, my dealer is just over an hour drive, I go back and forth without things. In the quad, sled, and boat world, we always trade info and merchandise so I can say I have a good working relationship.
They were willing to send me my collar in the mail so long as I took pics of the install and send my mileage in and followed the instructions. Sounds to me more like dealer A just needs a slap

I chose to take in my sled anyhow as I was doing a parts run for the shop

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I would have another go at dealer a. Play up the valued customer card, tell them your truck is broken down, gotta work, dog is sick, whatever. Be nice about it....but tell them it's just not realistic to drive that far for such a small item....which, it isn't.

Beside the point obviously....but you would be money ahead to just buy an aftermarket clamp shipped to you house and I'm sure they all do the same damn thing.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Sorry to vent but maybe someone from Polaris will read this and contact me and help resolve this issue..

:jaw::jaw:...snicker...your funny...

I don't think funny think in todays era not very hard to have a guy on these majorsites everyday making notes.

Polaris would be a hero to this guy if they contacted him for more info and work with him to get the collar because sometimes harder to control how a dealer does things. They could confirm he has not received the collar and had it installed. He agrees to put it on and they send it to him.

Now in the midst of all the failures on Polaris's part they show they are willing to go the extra mile to keep someone happy but yet it only took a couple cubicle junkies and someone to sign off on it and this guy is happy.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
For the money and time investment, buy the Happy Face collar and tell papa Polaris to eat S-it. If they want to warranty it send someone down with the PII Collar to install it. The Happy Face Collar is ten times the collar the Polaris one is anyway. Especially with a little Lords on it first. Just my $0.02

NRHS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2012
Firestone, CO
I agree with getting the happy face collar. it is a much better part than the factory recall clamp.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
X3 on the happy face collar. Just take a close look at your drive system and shaft before install and ride.
Screw the 600 mile round trip for a polaris collar.
If you want I would send you mine. I saw the Polaris one HF all the way.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Coulda had a Turbo M8 for 5k less than that POS Polaris!

Ya know it's funny that it used to be the Skidoo guys always lurking in the Poo threads, but now that they have the XM it seems that the envy has all but dissappeared.

And now every other post in the Pro-Ride sections has a Cat diehard telling us how terrible our sleds are and how ground breaking the Cats are.:face-icon-small-sho

Sorry :focus:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Ya know it's funny that it used to be the Skidoo guys always lurking in the Poo threads, but now that they have the XM it seems that the envy has all but dissappeared.

And now every other post in the Pro-Ride sections has a Cat diehard telling us how terrible our sleds are and how ground breaking the Cats are.:face-icon-small-sho

Sorry :focus:

i love the new polaris and doo's...the battle for top spot will be between them imo..

P
Pull your driveshaft and mail it to dealer "A" and have them install the clamp and throw it back in the mail the same day. Sounds like u have the tools and skills to easily do this.

toofpaste : I LOVE your idea. Told the spousal unit about it and she laughed as well. Would love to see the look on the Managers face when he opens up the box and finds the driveshaft in it...............................Fix it and send it back:face-icon-small-hap

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
toofpaste : I LOVE your idea. Told the spousal unit about it and she laughed as well. Would love to see the look on the Managers face when he opens up the box and finds the driveshaft in it...............................Fix it and send it back:face-icon-small-hap

I don't see what's funny about that. It gives them a chance to inspect the driveshaft for gap & true, and to install the proper fix... without the OP having to waste hundreds on fuel.

Seems like a win win to me. It costs about $28 to ship a driveshaft or so... should be a good way to go.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I don't see what's funny about that. It gives them a chance to inspect the driveshaft for gap & true, and to install the proper fix... without the OP having to waste hundreds on fuel.

Seems like a win win to me. It costs about $28 to ship a driveshaft or so... should be a good way to go.

What is even funnier is................. he is the OP!

Premium Features