• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proper belt deflection on my 2013 1100T forces belt too low into secondary

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Turbo11t, the rmk pro belt is a bit wider then the 082, when I first put it on the seld would try and move when ideling, after 30 miles its good. Next ride I'll tighten up the deflection just a bit and see what happens

So the sled seems a bit sluggish with the prormk belt? Maybe shim the spider on the primary.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I have been test fitting and setting deflection with several belts tonight. The 0627-048 fits the sled the best. We will see on Sunday how it works. I also fitted an XS823 and even though it measured as short as my 082s it fit nicely (real low in the secondary of course) with no deflection washers and actually has some belt to sheave clearance in the primary...none of the Cat belts do. Testing this one on Sunday too.

I fit the XS822 and think all the 800 belts are too long to be the answer.

How did the different belts work out?

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
How did the different belts work out?

I made quite a few changes to my clutch set up so my results are not belt specific. The sled is a 2013 M1100 Turbo HCR with EVO Super Chute 260 kit on it. I ran the 048 belt for the majority of the day and the sled ran well with it on. I could smell it and knew it was slipping when ever we were pushing in deep snow. I had a good 20 mile trail break in before we hit the untouched powder. The snow was super deep probably 3+ feet and not the lightest stuff either. As we got higher and higher the snow got deeper and a bit lighter. I was having to push the sled very hard to get up and through the terrain. The sled started to run poorly on a major pull but I could not stop or I would have been screwed. When I got to a place I could stop I checked and the 048 was done. Major chord damage on the outboard side but not blown apart. Major belt dust and residue everywhere. At this point I am starting to get real tired about 20 miles of breaking trail in some crazy stuff. I thought I had a broke in 082 with me but not...so I put a new 082 on and set the deflection and then it was back to battle. There was no break in available as it was not possible in this deep of snow. We made it to the promised land and it was running good so I started letting other people try it out and it was ripping. On long full throttle pulls the sled would start to pop. I believe it was heat soaking everything under the hood including the belt and it would slip and get into the rev limiter. It was starting to get late and everyone was getting pretty noodled so we started heading back. Put 65 miles on it and 25 of those were in real deep snow. I have the sled in the garage now and the 082 looks ok. It has a small section of chord missing it's just gone not hanging or anything. As I said in the beginning I made several changes to the set up including putting the shift out spacer back in the secondary. I had broken three belts in half prior to this ride. Because I made multiple changes I can't say exactly what did what but my belt had previously gotten down into the secondary as there was belt residue all over my helix and cam backs.

See my build thread for more info on under hood heat as I believe this is going to be a big factor on any of these sleds being pushed hard in deep snow without plenty of cool down time in between big pulls.

Woody

O
Mar 19, 2009
Idaho
We are going to try a XS809 and see what happens. It is suppose to be 37 3/32 long. We should have it ready to try tomorrow and will post results when we get her on the snow hopefully tomorrow.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Have a 048 here tonight and tried it on the sled for size. The belt to sheave is to tight on it to make it work. I think that with a spider shim it could be made to work.

I also have a hpx5020 that is just a bit to wide. I suspect that it may be able to wear in enough in one ride to get the ride sheave to belt. It comes to about 47" cir. Might work but I'm sending it back.

I also measured the cir of my 082 and it measured 46 5/16".

L
Dec 7, 2010
belt

if anyone is interested i have 2 xs823 belts for sale in the for sale section
they are brand new they are the replacement for stock belt.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
150 miles on the 1100t and my belt exploded just boondooking on the the side of the road in 2 ft powder. I wasn't wide open just pulling the skis getting back on the road. After i changed belts which was washed, about an hour later i noticed twice that the rpms jumped like the belt let loose and then grabbed again. It didn't do it the next 100 miles. We were running in 2 ft of powder like i said, i think snow got in my vent and got on the belt. I also had the sled pop and backfire a couple of times in the 200 miles we put on . I believe heat soak was the cause.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
150 miles on the 1100t and my belt exploded just boondooking on the the side of the road in 2 ft powder. I wasn't wide open just pulling the skis getting back on the road. After i changed belts which was washed, about an hour later i noticed twice that the rpms jumped like the belt let loose and then grabbed again. It didn't do it the next 100 miles. We were running in 2 ft of powder like i said, i think snow got in my vent and got on the belt. I also had the sled pop and backfire a couple of times in the 200 miles we put on . I believe heat soak was the cause.

Stock sled?

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
It's interesting that many are blowing belts in easy riding conditions. Mine too. Rode all day in heavy loads, blow belt on easy road ride home.

I suspect the popping was your sled hitting the rev limiter, especially if you noticed the RPM's spiking.

C'mon Cat....enough is enough with these blowing belts!!!!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Here is the XS809 belt installed on the sled. Looks good but we will have to see how it holds up

I like how this looks, hope it works well. I tried the XS822 and it's just to long to get proper belt deflection. Thing is though, I have 350 miles on my stock belt that came with my 2013 HCR 1100t and I've had the super chute 290 kit on it since day 1.

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
I like how this looks, hope it works well. I tried the XS822 and it's just to long to get proper belt deflection. Thing is though, I have 350 miles on my stock belt that came with my 2013 HCR 1100t and I've had the super chute 290 kit on it since day 1.

madmax, may i buy that belt, it must be magical!!!

O
Mar 19, 2009
Idaho
That must be a magical belt or your sled must have been made on a special day. This sled popped the belt at 60 miles. We are hoping that the 809 belt is the ticket. We shall find out soon enough.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
speedwerx flash running 215 with speedwerx clutch they recommend with the flash. if I try and run the 240hp it bangs off the rev limiter, seems to me like the belt is slipping.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL
Just ran the 084 cat belt i got about 120 miles out of it before it blew. Put a good 30 miles of breakin on it also.

Premium Features