• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunes/camera

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I was thinking on getting a mp3 player until I did a search. Does a camera have the same effect on a beacon as a mp3 player? It is getting so that everyone totes camera on there helmets.
I like to listen to my sled but it would be nice to here some tunes also.
I have been with people who don't listen to music and still would not know if there sled was running poorly let alone a avalanche.
What mp3 player are you guys using I just need some tunes to ride out on so I can listen to a little Patsy Cline or bb king.

H

hiflight

Dec 5, 2007
Idaho
tunes

I ride with a Sony "Walkman" 8 gigs. it will run for over 24 hrs. without charging, great little unit. Been using noise cancelling Sony ear-buds that also work great. I'm in the process of installing helmet speakers to evaluate their performance. The wife rides with a I Pod, but only gets 6-8 hrs. out of the battery. That's why I went with the Sony.
If I ever need to use my Avalanche Beacon, all electrical items are turned OFF.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
During my own unscientific study of the issue, the mp3/4 player only seemed to affect the receive/search function of the beacon, the transmit portion worked fine. So if you are caught and buried your beacon should transmit a signal normally even if your tunes are still playing. The key is to remember to turn your tunes off when you go to search for your buddy. Rather than rip your earbuds out in a panic, forget to turn the player off, and then get all sorts of false signals on your beacon in the search mode while your buddy is running out of air.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Ya but say someone is caught under the snow with their music on, once those searching get close enough wont the music player mess with those on search mode? Sure you could get close, but say hypothetically (sp) 10 feet away the music device starts to throw off those searching, that could mean the difference between life and death. I love music but i think its a little over rated in this situation

Premium Features