• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

roll over a four stroke?

C

Chubby

Nov 26, 2007
Albany mn.
My first ride with my turbo apex I had it on the roof for awile But left it sit after I got it back on its feet . Sat for a hr or so started up smoked a littlw but thats all

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
My first ride with my turbo apex I had it on the roof for awile But left it sit after I got it back on its feet . Sat for a hr or so started up smoked a littlw but thats all

Letting it sit the same amount of time you had it on the roof should be more than enough.

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
It will more than likely have a dry sump setup on it which is good on slopes and steep angles, wouldnt recommend it upside down. The vent is where its gonna leak upside down, fix for the yamahas was a electric valve that was tied in with the tether so when the tether gets pulled the vent valve closes and stops any oil from leaking out. All depends if arctic cat figured something out right away or have to put a valve on it from an aftermarket supplier

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
We rolled over a 1100T on the Proclimb demo ride and it was fine, Cat engineers said they had no problems rolling them over, its a dry sump system,

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
We rolled over a 1100T on the Proclimb demo ride and it was fine, Cat engineers said they had no problems rolling them over, its a dry sump system,

Out of curiosity, how long was it upside down for? The Nytros and Phazer only leaked only after 20 or 30 seconds upside down.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Why is that? Iv gotten myself unstuck many times that way. Some times in under 30 seconds. And iv left it upside down for a couple minutes while it was running. Was showing off the efi to some of my buddies inferior carbs.

i watched a guy in Turnagain roll his m8 over and the when the handlebars went into the snow it pinned the throttle, blew a belt and ripped a hole in his plastics from belt debris (was still pinned after it broke spun a cord like a saw)

he couldn't get near his sled with that track spinning that fast and the machine moving all over! the belt finally blew and he was able to flip it back over and shut it off :(

ever since then i turn it off. lol

-Aksnopro

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
So..... about 40 replies and no clear answer about the cat motor yet.

Can anyone else confirm or has anyone talked to a cat rep?

I will ask a rep when I go to the show this weekend.

D

danjpohl

Mar 14, 2010
Plymouth MN
I just sold my Nytro and this valve was great. There were many times when the easiest way to get the heavy sled unstuck was to put it on its side and spin it around. Prior to getting this the Yamaha could not be upside down or on its left side. On its right was ok.

The oil would drain out of the reservoir into the airbox.

http://oftracing.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=215

This kit was plug and play...

If cat does not do it from the factory, hopefully someone will come out with something similar

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
The Cat motor has an oil pressure switch. If the switch sees below 10 lbs of oil pressure the ECU shuts the ignition off so no engine damage can occur. Simple as that.

So do the Yamahas. Don't save them under the right circumstance. I will say it again, if you ride a four stroke wear a tether.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
wasnt saying not to wear a tether and yes the yamaha has a similar system why it dosent work is a mystery. I have had a yamaha not start because it had been on its top and had no oil pressure.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
Im not gonna roll ANY SLED while it is running. No reason.and I will wear a tether. I am more concerned about dumping oil out of the air box.... or wherever it comes out. I have no experience with these four bangers and I'm trying to figure out the concerns I should haveor at least be aware of before getting one.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
Im not gonna roll ANY SLED while it is running. No reason.and I will wear a tether. I am more concerned about dumping oil out of the air box.... or wherever it comes out. I have no experience with these four bangers and I'm trying to figure out the concerns I should haveor at least be aware of before getting one.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
You know, I am not sure why it works sometimes and other times it dont. My Apex has shut down many times from no oil pressure if I tail walk it for too long then come down fast. But other times, one time in particular:face-icon-small-fro, it don't sense it fast enough! Strange.
Hopefully Ac has a better setup that shuts them down better.....

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
On stock Nytros and Phazers the dry sump oil tank is vented directly to the air box. When the sled is rolled over past a certain angle oil will drain out of the tank through the 5/8" breather vent hose into the air box. Because a running engine is producing positive air flow out through the breather line, if the engine is still running while the sled is upside down it will pump the oil out even faster.

Apexes/RX-1 are set up differently. Instead of venting the tank to the air box, they are vented to the crankcase. An Apex can still loose oil out of the crankcase breather, however it takes longer to do so. Also the oil thats going to leak out is from the lower crankcase. On dry sump systems approx 90% of the oil is stored in the tank even while the engine is running. So an Apex has to sit upside down for a much longer peroid of time to loose a large amount of oil, compared to a Nytro or Phazer.
Like any four stroke, an Apex/RX-1 can still have oil starvation concerns if the engine is still running while the sled is upside down though.

I have not seen how the new Cats are set up yet. It is possible that they may have a similar set-up to an Apex. Which would explain why it hasn't been much of an issue. If an M1100 owner is experiencing oil loss during roll-overs, go ahead and shoot me a PM or e-mail and we could probably work something out. I'm curious to see how the new Cats are set-up.

Bill

Premium Features