• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to detect a bad turbo?

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
How can i check if my turbo is bad?

Took of my airfilter today and when i spin the turbine it makes some noise, and I`m able to move the turbine a bit too....is this normal?

Is there any other method to check the turbo?

Thanks for any answers, John.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
If it a Garrett ball bearing turbo thay do have some shaft play when thay are cold, when you shut your engine off you should be able to here the turbo spin for a few seconds, the bearings are noisy at low rpm. If it spins freely and is getting oil you have no worries.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
The shaft will have some play in it, as long as the vanes do not contact the housing and it is not leaking oil past the seal and into the discharge side it is probably good. You can take a dial indicator and measure the axial and radial play of the shaft and then measure the clearance between the vanes and housing, but it makes a difference what turbo you have as to what the specs should be.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
The turbo is an Garrett 2871.

Checked the oil and it is like new, and i do not think it is leaking oil. But noticed that theres a little oil coming out of my blow off valve....guess this is not coming from the turbo?

The turbo spins freely at low rpms, and i dont think the vanes are touching the housing...but will check tonight and maybe post up a pic of the compressor side.

Thanks for the input guys:beer;

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
If it was purchased in 08/09 there is a chance that it had the plastic bearing cage which has been known to have some issues (hence my pics, lol) and have been updated to a better design. If it is making any noise at all I would check end play and be suspicious as hell. If you catch it before any real damage you can/should qualify for a center section exchange program. PM a couple of the turbo suppliers on here and see what they say.

When I had my issues I was pretty low mile and had been running without the coolant plumbed. Silber on here offered to do the exchange program for a very fair price even though I didn't buy the kit from him. Very appreciated. I got updated and no problems since.

You may want to check your oil filter and look for pieces of bearing cage like those shown below. Here's a few pics. Good luck. EW

Heres what was in the oil filter (bearing cage pieces), if you see any of this you might consider an oil pump replacement too.

Pics1044.jpg

How it looked in the sled

Pics1019.jpg

How it looked apart. Not much contact, but enough that Garrett ran from it. I heard what you describe and towed it back right away. As posted above I noiced it on a dead motor spin down.

Pics1035.jpg

Pics1039.jpg

Premium Features