• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

?????? about gps

i posted here cause i dont want the opinion of every flatlander and trail rider. i am looking at getting a gps we ride some nasty stuff and storms come in quick last year we rode in circles in 100 mi wind an no vis for 3 hours trying to find a road so i need something that is gonna work when i needs it looking at a garmin rino 520 or 530. my buddy has a etrex and it wouldnt work that night at all. it needs to work thats the point right cause if i dont work or have a use dont bring it. just want some input thanks

B
Jun 25, 2009
inkom, id
garmin rhino

I use the garmin 120. It works good all the time(as long as you keep batteries in it). Everyone I ride with uses the 530. They are very nice gps units. Their batteries last forever and they are accurate. The downside of these is you cant use them with your gloves on and you have to buy the topos you want and download them (they aren't cheap).

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
My wife just bought me a rino 530. My buddy rides with one and he loves it. Its very accurate and always works at whatever elevation or topography we're in. I have noticed that he has to take his gloves off to use it though, that could be bad in 100mph winds when you're trying not to freeze to death.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I use the Garmin Colorado because of the 3D maping so I know if Im dropping into a draw and theres no way out the bottom

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
I'm using the Garmin 60 Csx. It is very tough and uses a micro SD card and you can download topo maps to it or buy micro SD cards preloaded with maps. It doesn't have a radio like the Rino, but then it is smaller also. I use it snowmobiling, in my truck, 4 wheeling and hunting.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
DO NOT RELY ON A GPS TO NAVIGATE IN A STORM!!!

If it's that bad, SIT TIGHT till visibility clears up and it's SAFE to travel again.

GPS is a navigation aid, not an autopilot back to the truck.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
With that out of the way.... I pack a 60CSx. Bought it earlier this summer, haven't used it on snow yet. It's my upgrade from a GPS12.

This is one of those times where knowing how to use the equipment and its llimitations are more important than having the biggest baddest bestest most expensive receiver on the mountain. The rino series is nice because of the two-way radio and the radio location features. Besides that, they (The 520/530s) are identical to the 60/76 features/receiver.

DO NOT RELY ON A GPS TO NAVIGATE IN A STORM!!!

If it's that bad, SIT TIGHT till visibility clears up and it's SAFE to travel again.

GPS is a navigation aid, not an autopilot back to the truck.

not looking for auto pilot just a little refrence we were on top of the beartooth pass looking for the highway to follow down cause it has big markers to follow if i had a gps with the highway on it bing bang down the road

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Get any of the color Garmin units. They're small and reliable, and easy on the batteries.
Just a side note; any GPS will fail if it can't "see" the sky. Could be caused by storms with heavy precip, trees, protective covers, ice, whatever. Doesn't matter which brand, although some of the antennas are better than others. Stick with a Garmin, doesn't really matter which model, whatever display and features you like.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I use the Garmin gps-12

I had a rhino. It was too differant than my 12, and sucked the batteries. The important thing here, has already been said, knowing how to use them! I prefer the simple features of my old gps12, easier for me to use. Way easier on batteries. I would like the option of downloading maps, but just hasn't been an issue for me. I just turn it on, if everything is good. I'll end up erasing the track logs and turn it off. If I get lost, I'll use the compass and the track logs to find my way back. It doesn't hurt to have some waypoints along the way too! I guess in short what is important to me is memory, battery life, size, and durability. But most of all ease of use. They are no good if you don't know how to use them. Good luck! -00's

M
Dec 11, 2007
Billings, Montana
I know what you are talking about Blackcat. I have done the beartooth pass white out thing. That was my first thought when you said 100mph. Go with the good Garmin that has an antenna and rechargeable batteries. I have the etrex and it has weak reception.

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
I have two Rhinos, 110 & 120 and find the radios are very poor for any type of conversation. The polling feature is nice but trying to talk with anyone can be a real challenge. Keep in mind i am from Canada and we have the lower wattage radios. The new touch screen Garmins look interesting and might be worth a look.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
The 60CSX has upgraded reception, believe the Colorado and Oregon do also. The 60 CSX will sometimes get a satellite lock in my basement under a stucco house (wire mesh in stucco blocks signals) Amazing. The old Rhino was lucky to get a lock in my backyard with the trees around it.

The original Rhino's had very poor reception, not sure about the newer ones. The specs will tell you online, just compare.

Good Luck

B
Dec 1, 2007
Alaska
What LRD said,
Garmin model numbers ending with X have upgraded reception. I use an Etrex Legend HCx on my sled and KLR650 and it gets great recieption all over Beartooth Pass.

Last edited:
B
Jun 25, 2009
inkom, id
I have two Rhinos, 110 & 120 and find the radios are very poor for any type of conversation. The polling feature is nice but trying to talk with anyone can be a real challenge. Keep in mind i am from Canada and we have the lower wattage radios. The new touch screen Garmins look interesting and might be worth a look.

I use the radio function on the 120 more for hunting than for sledding but i found it works well. Not as good as the 530s but better than radios you buy at walmart.

im not looking for the biggest baddest... i just want one that will work in what probably one of the most extreme condition u can possibly ride in not the we like to go get f....ed up stuck we just have some of the best bavkcountry riding and the only way to get there is over the top. storms come in fast @ 13000 ft i want something that will work when i need it i will use it so it wont be a matter of not knowing how we do a lot of wheelin in the jeeps in some of the same places we ride so im gonna use the chit outta it ...would be nice to be able to have gloves on but we all now how hard that is.i think im leaning more to a gps w out radio that way if battery is charged good i dont have to worry about it being dead from talking on it..good posts thanks guys keep em coming

B
Jun 25, 2009
inkom, id
im not looking for the biggest baddest... i just want one that will work in what probably one of the most extreme condition u can possibly ride in not the we like to go get f....ed up stuck we just have some of the best bavkcountry riding and the only way to get there is over the top. storms come in fast @ 13000 ft i want something that will work when i need it i will use it so it wont be a matter of not knowing how we do a lot of wheelin in the jeeps in some of the same places we ride so im gonna use the chit outta it ...would be nice to be able to have gloves on but we all now how hard that is.i think im leaning more to a gps w out radio that way if battery is charged good i dont have to worry about it being dead from talking on it..good posts thanks guys keep em coming

using the gps function uses way more battery than the radio.

Premium Features