• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gator, Kawi Mule or Rhino? Our club looking for input.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
The sno'bile club I belong to is looking for some kind of utility vehicle for hauling trail maint items in the off snowmobile season.
A buddy and I spent the afternoon looking at all 3 machines in the title above.

What experience does anybody on the forum have with any of these, and your recommendations.?

The full size Gator looks like a well made machine with well thought out features. Only two occupants, obviously. Has the same engine as the Kawasaki Mule. V-twin 4 stroke 617cc.

The Mule has the ability for 4 people. This is an attractive feature for us. The 2nd bench seat folds away so the cargo box can be used full length.

The Rhino isn't a big enough machine, for our application, I don't think.

We need to haul chain saws, pruning saws, gas cans, hand tools, cooler ;) etc. Might even pull a single place trailer to the trail work site. Might also pull the Vermeer stump grinder we own.

We might want a blade for plowing snow at the clubhouse parking lot.
Winch.
Some kinda cab and windshield, especially for winter.

What say?

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
hey wiz i got a rhino. 2100 miles on it no problems. my dad had one too until it was stolen from brothers 3 weeks ago. i really like the new ranger xp but power lodge sucks and i won't be goin there again.

P
Dec 14, 2008
Walla Walla
Mule

I have a Mule with the Diesel motor in it on the farm. It packs around a 80 gal spray tank up and down some darn steep hills that I farm and it does not even break a sweat. So if your looking for pulling, pushing and over all a heck of a work horse I would go with the diesel motor, plus in the summer with dry grasses around the diesel is much less likely to start a fire from a hot motor. Only bad thing which I am sure can be changed if a guy wanted to is it has a top speed of 25mph. It has an elec hoist for the bed that allows for the dumping action. So far I have had no problems with it and it has many hours of use on it. The locking diff feature is great as well. I have had both the Gator and a Ranger in the place of the Mule in previous times and neither was really up to the job and neither could accomplish it like the Mule can.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
I have a Mule with the Diesel motor in it on the farm. It packs around a 80 gal spray tank up and down some darn steep hills that I farm and it does not even break a sweat. So if your looking for pulling, pushing and over all a heck of a work horse I would go with the diesel motor, plus in the summer with dry grasses around the diesel is much less likely to start a fire from a hot motor. Only bad thing which I am sure can be changed if a guy wanted to is it has a top speed of 25mph. It has an elec hoist for the bed that allows for the dumping action. So far I have had no problems with it and it has many hours of use on it. The locking diff feature is great as well. I have had both the Gator and a Ranger in the place of the Mule in previous times and neither was really up to the job and neither could accomplish it like the Mule can.

Great info PB, thats what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Anybody else?

P
Dec 14, 2008
Walla Walla
Power Steering

I have seen advertisements for the Mules with Power steering now and I would really suggest investing in that as with all the weight of these machines a simple pot hole can jerk the wheel out of your hands and over all is a bit harder to steer. Would make it much more manageable for any of the ladies if they so chose to operate it as well.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
I have seen advertisements for the Mules with Power steering now and I would really suggest investing in that as with all the weight of these machines a simple pot hole can jerk the wheel out of your hands and over all is a bit harder to steer. Would make it much more manageable for any of the ladies if they so chose to operate it as well.

Good suggestion. I'm making notes. Thanks.

Who else has ideas on these vehicles?

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
I've never been around any of these vehicles but what about the Honda Big Red? I'm guessing it doesn't have as many features as the other vehicles but in my experience & my famalies experience, it's awfull tough to beat a honda reliability.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Stay away from the Kubota hydro ones!
Agree'd Opus. Even the Kubota tractor dealer said he wouldn't recommend that model.

Mules are really slow from what ive seen.Workhorse mabye.
That one was new to me. Googling came up with a modified EZ-GO golf cart chassis with a utility body. Too small for our app.

I've never been around any of these vehicles but what about the Honda Big Red? I'm guessing it doesn't have as many features as the other vehicles but in my experience & my famalies experience, it's awfull tough to beat a honda reliability.
Not too familiar with that one. Looks similar to the Rhino in size. Brothers Motor sports didn't mention that one, although they sell Honda. Prob'ly too small.

I really like my 700efi Prowler.
I looked at the Prowler specs online. No objections , but prob'ly too small for our app.

Comes down to Gator or Mule, looks like.
Biggest concern in pulling our Vermeer stump grinder. The thing is a hassle to hookup behind a pickup as is, and needs to be maneuvered on a worksite hooked to a vehicle. Its not a stand alone machine like newer stump grinders.

It has two fat terrain-style tires that have a lot of rolling resistance. The machine has a Wisconsin V-4 engine. The whole thing is pretty heavy.

Vermeer doesn't list our model on their website. Ours is prob'ly 10-12 years old. I like their new self propelled models better. :(

Anyhow, looks like a Diesel Gator or Mule for us.

Is the Gator the same machine as a Mule? Both have the same engine and drive train?

Thanks so far.
More suggestions/comments?
'wiz.

N
Mar 25, 2005
question

Hey Mr Wizard I am just going to throw this out there...why not just pick up an older 4X4 Suzuki Samuri? I picked one up to use as a hunting rig for $1200put tires on it, and absolutely trash the little beast and it goes everywhere!

I could buy 4 of these little machines for the price of the Rhino and do just about everything I want, plus I do not have to haul it to the trail? and if its for a club could save you tons of Money.

Just a thought?

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
'49er.
That's an excellent suggestion, and would solve the problem.
....But....
Here's what we ran into. A club member would have donated an older F-150 4x4, 6-cyl. to the club. That would have been perfect.

Our club is a 501c3 non-profit org, but insurance on the pickup would have been prohibitive, even tho it wouldn't be used all that often.

Because its a road vehicle, that 'could be' driven by a number of different club members, however unlikely, the insurance cost was very high.

So that's why we're looking at 'work vehicles'. We can afford the $12K cost of a work vehicle, and it wouldn't take too many years to eat up almost that same cost in insurance on a pickup.

So it goes.... but I like '49ers suggestion. :beer;

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
I've got over 3,000 miles on my Ranger XP and it has been great. Clutching is like a sled and it can haul a bunch but is also a lot of fun. Only issue were 1st year model issues that have been fixed since.

DSC00097.JPG

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
wiz look at the specs they all are the same size with in a couple of inches. the ranger and honda have a much bigger box then the rest. the honda has a hydralic drive tranny and may be more of a work machine. they make the new ranger in the hd model. you can even mount a heavy duty boss v plow on it. brothers can't sell the big red for now since they have other utv brands. they make the ranger in a 4 seater all so

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
wiz look at the specs they all are the same size with in a couple of inches. the ranger and honda have a much bigger box then the rest. the honda has a hydralic drive tranny and may be more of a work machine. they make the new ranger in the hd model. you can even mount a heavy duty boss v plow on it. brothers can't sell the big red for now since they have other utv brands. they make the ranger in a 4 seater all so

I looked at Big Red specs on line. Didn't know Bro's couldn't sell it. A Ranger would mean dealing with you-know-what dealership.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
4wd dessert buggy
gk_800_4seater.jpg

Rhino with 4 seat kit. http://www.beaverpro.com/

3 other nice 4 seaters, 650cc, 800cc & 1100cc Nice lookin units.
http://www.joyner-atv-utv.com/
350166_86bfedc1-4ea9-4698-bb06-60657ef4469d.jpg

550733_de04a9f1-4c50-4a9e-8741-a3dea07d6cee.jpg

445271_21707346-1b91-4cbe-bbb0-d0e06f0e096b.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features