• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another one bites the dust - Senate approves Wild Sky Wilderness

I sent this out yesterday to our Washington State SAWS members. We have been fighting this deal for years. This area is now lost in my opinion, but there are plenty more on the way.

And even worse than this, the Forest Service in Region 1, mostly Montana, is deciding to take the law into their own hands and designating and then closing Recommended Wilderness Areas to sleds without even going through Congress. This is ILLEGAL in my opinion!!! :mad:

Someone with deep pockets needs to sue the FS over this. I am positive that SAWS would pitch in money and provide some advice if someone would take this one on. Anyone?

WA SAWS Members,

I wanted to drop you a quick note to inform you that the Wild Sky Wilderness bill passed in the Senate today.

Wild Sky was contained in S2739 (Consolidated Natural Resources Act of 2008). This bill contained numerous individual bills that authorize certain programs and activities on lands managed by the Department of the Interior, the Forest Service, and the Department of Energy; including Wild Sky.

HR886 (Wild Sky Wilderness Act of 2007) already passed in the House on 4/17/07 as I previously informed our WA SAWS members last spring, but since S2739 contained numerous bills and not just the Wild Sky bill, it must go back to the House for another vote.

This bill will most likely pass in the House again and become law very shortly if President Bush signs the final bill, as he has indicated in the past he would do.

Another sad day for multiple-use of our public lands in Washington State. I have copied an article below from this afternoon on the Seattle PI website for further information.

Dave
Snowmobile Alliance of Western States

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_wst_wild_sky_wilderness.html

Senate approves Wild Sky wilderness in Washington State
By MATTHEW DALY
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- For the fourth and what supporters hope is the final time, the Senate has approved a bill to create a Wild Sky Wilderness northeast of Seattle - the first new wilderness area in Washington state in more than 20 years.

The bill, introduced by Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. would designate 167 square miles in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest north of Sultan, Wash., as federal wilderness, the government's highest level of protection.

The Senate approved the plan 91-4 Thursday as part of a massive bill affecting public lands from coast to coast.

The bill, which combines 62 separate proposals related to public lands across the country, would also designate a recreation trail in Oregon's Willamette National Forest in honor of former Rep. Jim Weaver, D-Ore., and expands Idaho's Minidoka Internment National Monument to include a site commemorating Japanese-Americans imprisoned in Bainbridge Island, Wash., during World War II.

It also establishes the Abraham Lincoln National Heritage Area in Illinois and Niagara Falls Heritage Area in New York state, boosts a project to create a memorial in Washington, D.C., to President Dwight D. Eisenhower, and creates a commission to study a possible National Museum of the American Latino.

The bill also would extend federal immigration and labor laws to the U.S. commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. The Marianas, in the western Pacific, have been tainted by past associations with lobbyist Jack Abramoff and reports of sweatshop labor.

The overwhelming vote in favor of the bill belied a behind-the-scenes controversy that had delayed action on it for months.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., wanted to amend the bill to allow loaded guns in national parks and wildlife re***es. Current regulations require guns to be unloaded and safely stored on lands managed by the National Park Service and Fish and Wildlife Service.

Democrats and some Republicans objected, saying Coburn and some GOP allies were trying to score political points by injecting a "wedge" issue such as gun rights into a noncontroversial bill.

Coburn disputed that, saying Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had agreed to allow him to bring a host of amendments to the floor. A spokesman for Coburn accused Reid of trying to protect the two leading Democratic candidates for president by shielding them from a politically difficult vote on an issue that many rural voters consider crucial.

Eventually, Coburn agreed to drop the amendment - but not before drawing the ire of even some Republican colleagues.

New Mexico Sen. Pete Domenici, senior Republican on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, said Coburn was trying to "frustrate the legitimate business" of the committee and, more broadly, congressional stewardship of federal lands.

"Frankly I believe much of this problem can be attributed to a lack of understanding of the structure of this committee and the importance of its business," Domenici said during debate on the bill.

Coburn said he had "a difference in philosophy" with other senators, and said he would not give up efforts to rein in federal spending. Coburn called the lands bill bloated and unnecessary.

"I will not stop fighting. I will not stop objecting to spending money" on federal lands, he said.

The Senate defeated four other amendments Coburn offered before approving the overall bill.

The Wild Sky measure would designate approximately 106,000 acres of low-elevation, old-growth forest in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest as wilderness, one of the highest levels of protection Congress can bestow on public lands.

Murray, who has championed the measure in the Senate for nearly nine years, said the bill was "an example of wilderness done the right way," with support from a range of local groups and elected officials.

The proposed Wild Sky area is just 90 minutes from Seattle and offers millions of people access to "rolling hills and rushing rivers and low-elevation forests," Murray said. These areas "will be preserved for generations to come," she said.

A similar bill passed the House last April, following Democratic takeover of the chamber following a dozen years of Republican rule. GOP leaders in the House had blocked the Wild Sky bill for years, saying that wilderness protection should extend only to lands untouched by humans.

The proposed wilderness area would block development or other economic activity in a sprawling area north of U.S. 2 that includes habitat for bears, bald eagles and other wildlife, as well as streams, hiking trails and other forms of recreation.

Environmental groups hailed the Senate vote as a landmark victory.

"Senator Murray went to bat in the Senate and hit a grand slam. She overcame some tough obstacles and is sending Wild Sky on its way home for all Washingtonians," said Jon Owen of the Campaign for America's Wilderness, an advocacy group. "After two decades, the time for more Washington wilderness is now."

The bill now heads back to House for final approval.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Many of us have put in a lot of time on this one, and all I can say is we did slow them down 6 years. Lets use what this taught us and kick butt on the upcoming ones!
GREAT job Dave!!: brokenheart:

D
Feb 16, 2008
I am so sorry to hear this. I appreciate all your time and effort in battling this. If we don't stand up for our right to use, it will be gone. Decided upon by those who have never stepped foot in these areas or ever plan too. Thank you for your continued efforts and keeping us informed.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Ain't it funny how these liberal politically correctness teaching SOB,s love to call people with other views names?? "Wrong headed"???
Thank you Richard Pombo, and I was dissappionted to hear you weren,t running to get your old seat back!!!

The city folks outlook.......................................

Published: Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wild Sky wilderness: well worth the wait

If the best things in life are worth waiting for, the Wild Sky Wilderness area certainly qualifies.

On Tuesday, Congress finally gave its approval for creating Washington's first new wilderness area in more than two decades. That's 3,405 days after the effort began, according to a triumphant Sen. Patty Murray, who with Rep. Rick Larsen led the arduous legislative charge. President Bush's signature is expected to complete this long and winding process within the next two weeks.

The agonizing wait had nothing to do with support for the proposal -- it was broad, deep and bipartisan, thanks to the care Larsen, Murray and a cadre of grassroots supporters took in putting it together. They reached out to stakeholder groups with unprecedented thoroughness, going over maps and answering questions at a series of community meetings. Along the way, they made compromises that turned opponents into backers, reducing a 132,000-acre proposal to the 106,000-acre plan that was finally approved.

"Add all that up, and what it comes down to is we not only created a new wilderness bill, but a new model for creating wilderness in the future," Larsen said Tuesday, minutes after the House passed Wild Sky as part of a larger package of bills. The Senate gave the package its blessing earlier this month.

Wild Sky had passed the Senate four times, but until last year couldn't get through a House committee chaired by a wrongheaded California congressmen who claimed it didn't meet the definition of wilderness. When he lost a re-election bid in 2006, the way was cleared in the House. Then, frustratingly, the proposal got bogged down in the Senate this year when an Oklahoma senator put a hold on several bills. That logjam was broken April 10, putting Wild Sky on its eventual winning path.

Just as the process that created Wild Sky was groundbreaking, so is its design. Its low-elevation areas will make it accessible to young and old alike, allowing more people than ever to enjoy the rugged beauty of a mountain wilderness. Its borders are carved around an existing road. You'll be able to park, walk a few feet and be in Wild Sky.

The small-town economies along U.S. 2 will benefit as guide books point tourists and recreationists in Wild Sky's direction.

And, most importantly, this pristine area will be preserved for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. It will stand as a fitting and lasting monument to conservation.

To all who had a hand in making it a reality, congratulations.

ADVERTISEMENT

|Contact Us |Advertiser Services |Home Delivery |Newsstand Locations |Classifieds |Feedback |About the Company |Work@the Herald |Site Map © 2008 The Daily Herald Co., Everett, WA.

There goes the Wild Sky down the drain in the House

Many of us have put in a lot of time on this one, and all I can say is we did slow them down 6 years. Lets use what this taught us and kick butt on the upcoming ones!
GREAT job Dave!!: brokenheart:

Thanks James. And thanks for your efforts fighting this bad legislation along with me for the last 7 years. :beer;

Truly a sad day for multiple use in Washington State. And if anyone thinks that now that the extreme green have their new little 106,000 acre wilderness that they will be satisfied, you would be very mistaken. This will only invigorate them to push harder on their other wilderness proposals that are currently in work. I see several more in other states passing before the end of this 110th Congress :mad:

The Everett Herald interviewed me a couple weeks ago regarding Wild Sky. Looks like our 10 minute interview turned into two sentenced in this article. Oh well, at least they quoted me correctly.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20080430/NEWS01/268358185

Published: Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wild Sky Wilderness bill finally clears Congress

By Jerry Cornfield and Jim Haley, Herald Writers

Dreams of a Wild Sky Wilderness are a pen stroke from reality today.

A bill providing permanent federal protection on 106,000 acres of public land in eastern Snohomish County cleared its final hurdle in Congress on Tuesday and is headed to President Bush for approval.

The president is expected to sign the bill that would give Washington its first new wilderness area in a generation.

"It does feel real now," said Tom Uniack, conservation director of the Washington Wilderness Coalition that campaigned for Wild Sky. "The bill has passed Congress and that has been the uphill hike."

The final legislative action came Tuesday when the House of Representatives voted 291-117 to pass the Consolidated Natural Resources Act. This package of 61 different bills dealing mostly with federal properties includes legislation to create Wild Sky. The Senate approved the same bill April 10.

"There's still one more step but this was the big one," said Rep. Rick Larsen, D-Wa., said following the vote.

He and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wa., steered the legislation through Congress and are anticipating Bush's approval in mid-May.

"This is an incredible day," said Murray, who started pursuing the creation of the wilderness area in 1999. "The spirit of Wild Sky has had to endure an awful lot over the days and years. We're not going to celebrate until the bill is signed."

The proposed wilderness would be north of U.S. 2 and the towns of Index and Skykomish. The area straddles the Beckler River and North Fork Skykomish River within the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

Wild Sky would include backcountry ridges and peaks and low-elevation, old-growth forests surrounding salmon and steelhead spawning grounds.

The wilderness designation imposes the strictest rules on what can and cannot occur on federally-owned lands. This bill would ban logging, mining and use of snowmobiles, off-road and other types of motorized vehicles.

It would enable hiking, hunting, fishing, rafting and other recreational activities. Also, float planes could continue using a large, high-mountain lake, and a paved recreation trail accommodating people in wheelchairs would be created.

Opponents of Wild Sky including farmers, ranchers, east Snohomish County politicians and recreation advocates, who have argued the restrictions on federal land are unfair to the public that owns them.

"Anytime we close down a large chunk of land to the majority of the population and we no longer manage it correctly, that concerns me," said Dave Hurwitz, chairman of the Snowmobile Alliance of Western States.

The wilderness designation would make it difficult to thin diseased trees or use bulldozers to help fight future forest fires, he added.

Uniack said it's an action about the future.

"Wilderness is about keeping things the same, retaining the quality of life we have in the Pacific Northwest and being able to pass it down to our grandchildren," Uniack said.

Murray planted the initial seeds for Wild Sky in 1999 and Larsen joined the effort soon after taking office in 2001.

They each introduced legislation in their respective chambers in 2002 and worked through six years of political discord until Tuesday's action.

The Senate passed versions of the bill in 2002 and 2004 and again in 2005. It could not clear the House of Representatives because former Republican Congressman Richard Pombo of California kept it bottled up in the natural resources committee he ran.

When Democrats gained control of the House -- and the committee -- they passed the bill in 2007. But then Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., succeeded in blocking the Senate from voting on it. Senate leadership finally cobbled together the majority needed to overcome Coburn earlier this month.

"Years from now, people won't remember the struggle and effort that was put into protecting the Wild Sky, but for folks in the Sky Valley this will be one of our finest hours," said Mike Town with the group Friends of the Wild Sky.

"This place is truly spectacular," said Town, a Duvall teacher. "It's a tremendous gift to the people of Snohomish County."

D
Feb 16, 2008
I think the majority of people do not understand what wilderness designation means. I've talked to so many people that think it's the same as forest service land. They buy into the (save it for our grandchildren theories) believing if we don't set aside these lands as wilderness there will be none left. What they don't realize is, it will be there, just watch what ya step on as you walk through the land.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
I am sure the saws members are aware, but I just saw that Rep. Reichert (Wa republican) is sponsoring a bill to expand the alpine lakes wilderness. Is there any sledding in the new expansion? Even if there isn't this is disgusting! Can anyone remind me why I am voting republican if this is what to expect?

I am sure the saws members are aware, but I just saw that Rep. Reichert (Wa republican) is sponsoring a bill to expand the alpine lakes wilderness. Is there any sledding in the new expansion? Even if there isn't this is disgusting! Can anyone remind me why I am voting republican if this is what to expect?

No riding in this area that I am aware of, but I agree it is disgusting alright.

I will certainly try and explain why you should vote for the least of two evils. (disclaimer: this is my personal opinion and not a SAWS opinion)

Voting for federal government politicians in most cases is voting for the least of two evils. I vote conservative, because conservatives support more issues that I favor. I rarely agree with many of the liberal issues, or they are further down my list of importance. Fine with me if others do support liberal issues, that is why this is a free country, but please don't any of you liberal snowmobilers waste my time asking me to explain once again why I support conservative issues. A search of this forum or the old forum should answer your questions. I get tired of explaining my position over and over.

More republicans are conservative and more democrats are liberal, although that is not always the case. Some east coast republicans are more liberal than some west coast democrats, but that is not the norm. Far more conservatives oppose wilderness designations than liberals, and that is a fact.

Then you have scum like Reichert get in on the republican ticket pretending to be somewhat conservative, only to roll over and try to win the liberal votes with wilderness support and proposals, which he will never win the liberal vote as a republican. You also need to look at who he is running against - Darcy Burner. Check out her positions on the issues. Lesser of two evils once again.

Recent article on Reicharts new wilderness bill. No, there is no snowmobiling in this area that I am aware of.

"The House has approved seven wilderness bills this year - far more than under Rahall's Republican predecessor, said spokeswoman Allyson Groff."

The "predecessor" Allyson is referring to was our friend Richard Pombo who kept most of these wilderness bills at bay while he was the Chairman of the House Resource Committee.

Dave

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004469534_apwareichertwilderness.html

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - Page updated at 03:35 PM

Dems back Reichert wilderness bill
By MATTHEW DALY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON —
Fresh from the creation of the Wild Sky Wilderness, two Democrats have signed onto a bill by Rep. Dave Reichert, R-Wash., to expand a separate federal wilderness area east of Seattle.

Democratic Reps. Jay Inslee and Norm Dicks of Washington state are the first co-sponsors of a bill that would expand the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area by about 22,000 acres.

The lawmakers added their names to the bill last week, a month after President Bush signed a bill creating the nearby Wild Sky Wilderness - a measure Democrats had worked to enact for more than six years. The 106,00-acre wilderness in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest is the first new federal wilderness area in Washington state in 24 years.

Inslee praised Reichert's intent to preserve old-growth and mature forests and mountain peaks, and to designate the Pratt River as wild and scenic, but said he had concerns about the proposed boundary lines and other details.

"As we learned with Wild Sky, getting a wilderness bill to the president's desk and signed into law takes a significant amount of effort from stakeholders, consensus from community members and widespread support from lawmakers," Inslee said. "Therefore, we must get wilderness area designation right the first time."

The Alpine Lakes bill would designate land near Interstate 90, just east of North Bend, as wilderness, the government's highest level of protection. The bill would add to a 394,000-acre reserve of craggy Cascade peaks, alpine lakes and forest, about 50 miles south of Wild Sky, near Index, Wash., north of U.S. 2.

Reichert welcomed the support of the two veteran Democrats, which he had been seeking for months.

"It's the same spirit as the Wild Sky Wilderness," said spokeswoman Abigail Shilling. Reichert and his predecessor, the late GOP Rep. Jennifer Dunn, both worked with Democratic Rep. Rick Larsen to help pass Wild Sky.

"Dave is glad to have them on board and get the (Alpine Lakes) bill moving," Shilling said.

The support from Inslee and Dicks was somewhat surprising, given Reichert's status as a top Democratic target in the fall elections. Reichert faces a strong challenge from Democrat Darcy Burner for his seat representing Seattle's eastern suburbs, and Democrats have been reluctant to enhance Reichert's "green" credentials.

While Reichert has a decent pro-environment record in the current Congress, his overall environmental record is less clear, said Sandeep Kaushik, a spokesman for Burner.

"He still refuses to concede that global warming is caused by human activity. He continues to take substantial contributions from oil and timber interests, and he has declined to co-sponsor Inslee's Roadless Rule bill, which is probably the single most important piece of conservation legislation before the current Congress," Kaushik said.

The roadless bill would prevent logging, mining and other development in more than 58 million acres of remote national forests, including 2 million acres in Washington state.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together and come to the conclusion that as Reichert faces the toughest re-election challenge of his career he has made a political calculation that he needs to shore up his environmental credentials," Kaushik said.

Burner said in a statement that she applauded Reichert for taking a small step in the direction of wilderness conservation. But she said Reichert's failure to co-sponsor the roadless law was "the equivalent of focusing on a tree while losing sight of the fact that the forest is being chopped down around you."

Kaushik also faulted Reichert for failing to get the state's two other Republicans, Reps. Doc Hastings and Cathy McMorris Rodgers, to sign onto the bill.

Shilling said Reichert was working to get support from the entire Washington delegation, and was talking with both Hastings and McMorris Rodgers. Reichert supports the roadless proposal, but does not see the need to become a co-sponsor, Shilling said.

No public hearing has been set on the Alpine Lakes bill, although Shilling said Reichert hoped to persuade Democratic leaders of the House Natural Resources Committee to schedule one by the end of the year.

A spokeswoman for the panel's chairman, Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., declined to comment on Reichert's bill, but said Rahall has prided himself on his ability to work with both parties on wilderness legislation and other measures.

The House has approved seven wilderness bills this year - far more than under Rahall's Republican predecessor, said spokeswoman Allyson Groff.

On the Net:

The bill is H.R. 4113. Congress: http://thomas.loc.gov

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think you need to launch your own campaign.

How ????

With gas pushing $5.00 a gallon and diesel pushing $6.00 a gallon.

Everytime someone tries to make an area off limits label the action as a NATURAL RESOURCE REMOVAL ACT.

Label the deal as a decision to remove any ability to harness energy from the area. Gas, electric, solar, geothermal, wind, hydroelectric.

Make the environmentalists JUMP through a new requirement. How can I heat my home when I can go get fuel because the legislators made it illegal? (I'm talking about firewood.)

HOW CAN LEGISLATOES SHUT DOWN PUBLIC "NATURAL RESOURCES" during an energy crisis????

Get the politicians to answer this question to their electorate.

When they come back and say this labeling is from a group of people who want recreational access to the area for motorized vehicles.

Reply ... saying these vehicles need fuel and natural resources. The same fuel and resources to take a trip to the doctor, the grocery store and so on.

Are the legislators now going to regulate where you can use the fuel since they are preventing the USA from accessing natural resources?

Why are the legislators making us dependent on foreign natural resources by removing access to our own natural resources?

Stick this into the publics mind every time they close off the nations natural resources and see how many of them get relected?

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The wilderness designation would make it difficult to thin diseased trees or use bulldozers to help fight future forest fires, he added.

Uniack said it's an action about the future.

"Wilderness is about keeping things the same, retaining the quality of life we have in the Pacific Northwest and being able to pass it down to our grandchildren," Uniack said.

You should go a step further and say ... This natural resource that is allowed to rot away could be used to heat a home or make paper so our children can learn to wrtite in school.

You got to make it personal for the majority.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
This would be a perfect time to launch the NATURAL RESOURCE DENIAL LEGISLATION

Say what my green loving audience. No you're not going green .... in fact you are brown.

Please explain. Well mother nature has this thing called

LIGHTNING !!!!

When it strikes the earth in areas where there are trees especially areas where there is no active forest management like timber cutting. It gets hot and burns.

It burns even better when there are no access roads making it difficult for humans and their silly fossil fueled tools to go in there and prevent nature from burning itself into extinction.

Maybe the future generations will forgive all these Wilderness Bills causing 1,000 of inaccessible fires a year and billions of tons of pollution.

BIG SUR environmental nightmare and a ghost town for tourism.

So I ask where is the news article saying ... Get ready for more pollution ... The government designated wildernress areas are teaming up with lighting to create some really nasty pollution .... and it travels to the city by way of air !!! I guess the upside is humans are able to see the burned out ... devastated forest after the natural flames consume the untouched fire.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I think the biggest problem is the average joe thinks supporting Wilderness Areas is going to protect that area.
If everyone knew closing off an area would have a negative effect ESPECIALLY if that area is close to a town and they can't get in there to put out any fires they wouldn't be supporting it.
In MT we have specialized plates to contribute to certain orgs.
I see a lot of big SUV grocery getters with soccer moms driving them that have Wilderness Plates. I think most of them think there just helping protect the forests.
I wrote SAWS about possibly sending flyers out to anyone who has these plates and informing them more but they said it's a tougher thing to do then it sounds.
There's gotta be a way for the public to at least know all the facts in what they support cause I guarantee they don't.

Maybe we should buy some local air time on the radio or tv?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Maybe we should buy some local air time on the radio or tv?

Public access radio and TV should allow free time. I just hope there is a boiler plate program so all can do it.

Plus if congress has its way there will be "balanced" broadcast meaning equal time for both points of view.

Premium Features