• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to improve hp and performance

S
Mar 9, 2019
I ride a 2018 Skidoo 850. I'm looking at upgrading some parts to make it have more response and more power. What do you guys recommend I do? I do not want to Turbo it

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I ride a 2018 Skidoo 850. I'm looking at upgrading some parks to make it have more response and more power. What do you guys recommend I do? I do not want to Turbo it

Try Yellowstone or Glacier, they are popular! :face-icon-small-hap

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
You didn't state which track length is on the sled, but can offer the following list:

Start with making sure the clutch surfaces are clean and the entire clutch surfaces are being used.

Is the engine reaching optimal RPM? Adjust with clutch clickers.

Run fresh 91 non ethanol fuel.

Install a smaller top sprocket in the drive case.

Check the track tension, if too tight it will rob power.

Additionally you may want to check the compression to verify the engine is within spec.

Beware of aftermarket cans, many actually cause a power loss.

Last edited:
T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
Power loss?

You didn't state which track length is on the sled, but can offer the following list:

Start with making sure the clutch surfaces are clean and the entire clutch surfaces are being used.

Is the engine reaching optimal RPM? Adjust with clutch clickers.

Run fresh 91 non ethanol fuel.

Install a smaller top sprocket in the drive case.

Check the track tension, if too tight it will rob power.

Additionally you may want to check the compression to verify the engine is within spec.

Beware of aftermarket cans, many actually cause a power loss.

What cans cause power loss? And do you have any more info on that

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
more response … clutch kit and gearing lower engagement and lower gearing more torque less speed between PTO and top end … so more refined throttle control.

More power with out turbo … lighten up the sled. Increase power to weight ratio.

L00se weight person gear sled.

Carbon helment
eVent clothing
Carbon boots
less gear

Sled remove foam , insulation …. titanium … titanium

Last edited:
G

gilmoreb

Nov 23, 2012
I wanted more power as well and similar response as stock but didnt want a turbo. I did a lot of research and went with a Trygstad 927 big bore kit on my 2018 850 165. It does not have the big end like a turbo but is a riot in the trees and in technical riding situations. Im very happy with it.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
I wanted more power as well and similar response as stock but didnt want a turbo. I did a lot of research and went with a Trygstad 927 big bore kit on my 2018 850 165. It does not have the big end like a turbo but is a riot in the trees and in technical riding situations. Im very happy with it.

More reliable too in my opinion anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Light weight and tuning would be my first response 850s are good power -- and yes I used to run superchargers and turbos up to 300 hp I do know power.

I also know that I can do 95% of anything that can be done with a sled better with a dialled 850 and stock power plant.

If you want real power get a sidewinder and crank up the boost nothing bets 4 stroke boosted power. But that is just a 1 trick pony.

It has been very quiet on the big bore end for the last 2 Years -- my guess is the 850 is the top end of the sweet spot for a twin after that you compromise to much

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
How much weight reduction is there when removing foam & felt? Any downside? Will removing the felt behind the secondary dampen the air flow around the clutches on the 19's with the new clutch cover & vent? How about the felt under the hood? Does it weigh anything or needed as a heat shield? I haven't noticed any water retention in the foam around the clutch area. Does it add up to any substantial weight loss if removed? Thanks.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
I really like my HPS muffler, ZRP Tailstander Weights...If you don't feel like doing the whole clutch kit this is a good option, you need a primary spring compression tool like the one offered by Goodwin Performance for easy adjustments without removing the primary clutch. I also added the SLP single pipe and it adds a little more. reduce drag.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Over on the other site , there’s lots of talk of big improvements with s Jaws pipe !!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
How much weight reduction is there when removing foam & felt? Any downside? Will removing the felt behind the secondary dampen the air flow around the clutches on the 19's with the new clutch cover & vent? How about the felt under the hood? Does it weigh anything or needed as a heat shield? I haven't noticed any water retention in the foam around the clutch area. Does it add up to any substantial weight loss if removed? Thanks.

I don't know where you ride and what conditions but that foam holds a ton of water. I ripped every single bit of it out of my 2 850s and it filled a 55 gallon garbage can. If you do some venting or a MtnTk blow hole you don't have to worry about the belt issue.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
SHR has many options proven on the hill...

Baseline-
SHR tip weight adj clutch kit
Gripnrip align
venting

step 1-
Jaws, BMP or dynoport exhaust for a bump of 10 hp and weight savings of 10-12 lbs
*SHR clutching can adapt to extra HP
SHR stage 1 X shock rebuild for control

step 2-
SHR921R BB
BB plus a pipe
*SHR clutch can adapt and FIX other BBs so they can at least beat a stocker :face-icon-small-coo

step 3-
BD/Silber turbo kits
*SHR clutching can adapt...sensing a pattern here??:face-icon-small-win

SHR has literally done every mod for the 850 and fixed many OTHERs...

You can bounce around blog pages and get opinions from guys who do not DOO this for a living OR call 1 shop and get straight answers from 3 seasons of testing and verifying what actually works-BJ

Last edited:
Premium Features