• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats the Best aftermarket ski for a G4

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I was not crazy about the DS3. Tried the Mohawk, Grippers, and DS2s. Liked the DS2s the best of the bunch. Go figure.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The new Slydog Attack skis looks decent.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
8" sly dog powder hounds if you like to stay on top -- love mine.

They carve great when in the narrow position with the rear skid set up correct.

Both me and my wife run this setup. I have a shim bellow the rubber to hold the ski more level in a carve. I also run the Zbroz spindle with Elka shocks --- just think of the new expert frond end set up -- I had that 2 years ago:face-icon-small-hap

A ski that floats keeps the frond end out of harms way and helps maintain momentum by not submarining. People that rave abut the grippers forget that they have more flotation, this is even better.
Also trenching -- one part is the skid and track the next clutching and Skis. The stock ski with powder wings settles deep into the snow anytime you are in soft stuff and stop it points the tips to the sky at a steep angle acting like a snow break -- try to get that moving without trenching . 8" skis with shimmed rubbers that hold them flat and slide forward and up help the sled to get up and moving without the track trenching down. Just a few little things about setup that gets missed a lot.

V
Oct 26, 2016
I was originally looking at swapping out my DS3's because I did not like they way they performed. I waited until I finished my other upgrades first and I am glad I did. Now after putting on Elka Stage 4 shocks and the torsion spring delete kit along with Durapro dampeners I now like them a lot more. After all the work I did and the tuning of the setup these work much better on trail and in the deep powder. I think getting the sled set up correctly for your the rider and the riding style is the most important thing to do before swapping parts. I cannot tell you how much of a difference this made for me other than it was a huge difference. Like night and day. The sled works WAAAY better than the stock setup. Also I let the limiter strap out one hole from stock.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
What's the best aftermarket ski for the G4 850 free ride? I hear a lot of people saying the Gripper ski is the way to go
That depends on the snow & how you ride. For the road & flotation, nothing beats simmons, but they push a little in wet snow & are terrible sidehilling on firmed up snow. I loved the grippers on my cat and I have a set for the skidoo, but haven't tried them yet. I don't have any issues with the stock 19 skis so far. They seem to work pretty good.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Those of you running the DS3, are you running them with or without the extra tips? People running the tips have seen benefits removing the added floatation tips even in deep powder.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Those of you running the DS3, are you running them with or without the extra tips? People running the tips have seen benefits removing the added floatation tips even in deep powder.

yeah i still have my tips in the bag havnt had a reason to put them on even in deep snow.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I think he just worded it confusing. He's not saying there is added flotation from removing them.

I'm going to try removing the tips and running durapro's next year. I can see where the tips start to plow, then the ski tips up, then they want to point uphill.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I think he just worded it confusing. He's not saying there is added flotation from removing them.

I'm going to try removing the tips and running durapro's next year. I can see where the tips start to plow, then the ski tips up, then they want to point uphill.

Correct, this and the fact that the tips start to hook the snow and pull the sled around. Many times I've been sidehilling and the tip will hook, sled takes off up the hill and backend washes out. Or get caught riding in someones track and you start to dolphin back and forth, with the tips removed this action is reduced.
Try it what have you got to lose, cheaper than buying a new pair of skis.

Premium Features