• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 apex no start, just a click

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hi guys I went riding all day. 0 issues. went to truck. shut it off and then fired it up, loaded er up and drove home. Now I go to fire it up and it makes a click with no start. hmm great eh!

I did have the battery and everything out and I had checked the connections at the time which appeared to be good... that was about a month ago now.

So not sure if its a starters done kind of click or if a bad connection can cause this. I figured to try turning the motor over by the clutch to see if it was just in a bad spot. but that never helped :face-icon-small-con

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
just seems so odd lol. I really would hate to be pulling that whole battery mess again. Its one thing after another LOL!:crazy:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Try turning it over with the primary, if it turns counter clockwise but NOT clockwise the starter is lock up, you will need to replace it.

I'm sorry but what will turn clock wise? Like if i was looking at the starter? although I dont think you can see it can you? looks like it gets bolted into the motor?

Sorry lol I'm new to these 4 strokes and learning more about them every day!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
thanks for the replies. its been a hectic weekend lol. SO basically heres where im at. Saturday night after seeing batt was at 12.4 V I put a charger on it. but mind you! 12.4V is about a 50% charge they say. SO saturday I put a charger on the batt. And left it until tonight. which It probably charged it in 8 hours lol not 60.

So I went to work on it and First thing I did was see If it would start. And It fired right up no issues. turn the key starter did its thing and almost instantly the motor fired (great motor :face-icon-small-coo)

SO this leaves me at. Is 12.4V too low? Or maybe I have a bad connection and the extra little voltage was enough (.4 of a volt?) to make it jump but probably not. 2nd thing I could think of is somehow water? But again I doubt it. and 3rd. Maybe a bad relay? Maybe It needed the extra little bit of power or current to get it to work properly. It might be old and getting sticky?

Afterall the sled is a 06 so Who knows on If those things have been replaced just yet :laser:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
It wasn't the battery IMO. You had moisture in one of the connections that dried out. Happened several times to my 2006 Apex mtn.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
It wasn't the battery IMO. You had moisture in one of the connections that dried out. Happened several times to my 2006 Apex mtn.

hmm good to know. then that leaves me with should I be concerned? last thing I or anybody needs is for this sled to not start on the hill side lol

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I never had problems on the hill once it was warm and running. The few times it happened was when it had been left outside at night after being ridden in deep snow the day before.

When it happened at the cabin I would have to run an extension cord out and use a hair dryer on the electronics and wiring. That worked every time for me. The sled would fire up and run fine the rest of the day.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've seen quite a few starter relays go bad over time. One of the terminals in there gets all corroded, it's hard to see without pulling the relay. I always carry a spare for both the Nytro and Nypex.

M5

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I've seen quite a few starter relays go bad over time. One of the terminals in there gets all corroded, it's hard to see without pulling the relay. I always carry a spare for both the Nytro and Nypex.

M5

X2. Just ordered one for an apex doing the same thing. corroded relay.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Is that relay on the frame down towards the nose of the sled? That is where mine was clicking and I aimed the dryer - guess I should have checked for corrosion too.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Is that relay on the frame down towards the nose of the sled? That is where mine was clicking and I aimed the dryer - guess I should have checked for corrosion too.

its on the side of your battery box on the apex,that is what i was talking about it has 2 fuses on it,on the nytro it sits just above the oil tank.for some dumb reason i could not remember the name of it the other day:crazy:,its the starter relay assembly.
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003c5d2f8700212fc8429fa/electrical-2

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Yep that is where I heard the click when my apex wouldn't start. Will have to watch for that on my nytro. Thanks!

M
Jan 14, 2004
As a bare minimum you should carry a short length of say 8 or 10 gauge wire so you can jump the relay out in the mountains if need be. I've done that before as well.

M5

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
There is also the Neanderthal method of using a screwdriver to jumper the two large terminals. That's what I had to do until I could get a relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Premium Features