• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many cat 800 (2010 to 2012 only please) motors have blown?

2010-2012 cat 800(only 800) engine failure rates

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I want to contrast to the poo forum thread/ poll about how many have blown. They're seeing a failure rate of 14% or so, and they think that's "normal".

I disagree, but I really wonder how many statistically HAVE blown.

No 1000's or 600's please, and nothing below 2010 (current motor only)
The pro poll is only 2011-2012 as it is (this is 2010-12), so I want to be apples to apples as much as possible.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think the poll should have a option if they failed in the first 100miles, I never saw one around here but I heard of some that had issues like air bubbles in oil line, sucking down rivets, etc.... stupid things that should be included but not really a reliability issue, more of a pre inspection issue.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
My 2010 M8 went down at 2000 miles. Cyl skirt broke, rod broke off piston and went through the case. Stock motor.

Mar 25, 2004
elkford
need a primary post as well. 1800mi blown primary here thank goodness for extended warranty.voted no major failure except for clutch, DD bearings and 1 motor mont

Last edited:
M
Mar 7, 2008
Two 2011 800 cc's and two 2004 900 cc's - no issues. Zero/nothing.
I think I'd like to put up 2-3 crated 800 cc's for future use (and before those engines are no longer made by Suzuki....sorry could not resist saying what many are thinking)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think the poll should have a option if they failed in the first 100miles, I never saw one around here but I heard of some that had issues like air bubbles in oil line, sucking down rivets, etc.... stupid things that should be included but not really a reliability issue, more of a pre inspection issue.

I agree, but poo has some oil line connection issues that are part of their issues, I wanted to make this as apples to apples, good, bad & ugly, same as the poo poll. I even copied the poll options verbatim instead of what I feel would be more indicative of issues.

Primaries are an issue... but not this issue, not what I'm looking for, same as belt issues... JUST wanting to compare the motor. I can swap a primary (not cheap, but I personally can) in about 15 min... a motor will sit at the dealer for at least a week, I could have a new primary tomorrow, guaranteed. Same with belts.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I want to contrast to the poo forum thread/ poll about how many have blown. They're seeing a failure rate of 14% or so, and they think that's "normal".

I disagree, but I really wonder how many statistically HAVE blown.

No 1000's or 600's please, and nothing below 2010 (current motor only)
The pro poll is only 2011-2012 as it is (this is 2010-12), so I want to be apples to apples as much as possible.

Who are they that think it's normal? All I hear from most everybody over there is that it is NOT normal and NOT OK. You are a poopy pot stirring mofo aren't you;) And the failure rate is a little above 16% on the engine poll as of late.

I am struggling to understand this poll... Isn't it universally known by everyone that the Suzuki 800 motor is the undisputed most awesomest 800 ever???

IT SHOULD BE!

I, like many others, vocally wish we had one in our PRO 800's

Now as for Belts, Diamond Drive Bearings, Clutches, Steering posts, etc... well that's another thread right.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Hey man... just trying to be fair in the comparison!

Got 2500 boosted miles on my 11 DD btw, haven't even OPENED it. (and been through 4 belts, and I had a weight go loose & stick a primary.)

I see a number of people in that thread saying "they're all the same... they all fail, and I actually have honestly been wondering how they really compare for a while. I think the poo is about 5-10x more likely to fail from what I see, but I really just want an honest comparison to see. Maybe I just see all us trail riding sallies here in co riding cats & that's why I don't see them blowing.

(CO 2.0 is the only person I actually know who has had one fail since 07, and that was a skirt, his I feel was beyond what I expect from piston life on the FIFO laydown motors, but I'm conservative about pistons)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
10 times less likely to fail...carry the one.... That would be a 1.6% fail rate...

5 times less likely to fail...add seven...divided by 4.........

3.2% fail rate....

and while I agree the Suzuki M8 motor is the best........Good luck with those numbers.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Wait, you need a seat? I have 3 in my shed! which one do you want to buy, I'll trade you for your Boosted motor...Apples to Apples, BOOSTED? REALLY?

C'mon man why didn't you start a poll for boosted Pro's vs boosted M8's:face-icon-small-sho

Lucky... Just buy Ab a Pro and you'll jump ship yourself within 2 years...

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Lucky... Just by Ab a Pro and you'll jump ship yourself within 2 years...

Haven't you noticed the trend of how I do things??? SHe gets the "upgrade" first, then once she likes it, and I know I like it, it's harder for her to say I can't have one.:face-icon-small-win

Next year she gets a "NEW" sled, the pro. I get the "old" sled (400 pregnant miles) and a turbo... then in 2 years, HOPEFULLY poo will have motors figured out, and cat will be making them in the states, so good time to leave cat!

I got's a plan yo....

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
If Poo doesn't have a more powerful and more reliable engine in 2 years, I'm going to be looking at John Deere's new supercharged 440.....:lever:

Premium Features