• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 Vector Mtn SE leaking oil but don't know why!

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I had some issues with my Vector three weeks ago with the rectifier. Have not been out to the garage for about a week and a half but this morning I went out and the oil that is supposed to be in my sled is now on the garage floor. I don't know where it is coming from. Appears to be from the oil tank side but it is not coming from the oil tank, the drain plug, or the filter. I see residue on the lower right side of the motor but nothing is there.

Is there something I am missing? The best I can tell is the lower hose off the oil tank runs into the lower right side of the motor and it is somewhere in this location.

I just don't get how I rode three weeks ago. Parked the trailer and a week and half later with no movement all the oil is on the floor.

If your sled was on it's side for any length of time the last time you rode you'll have oil slowly leaking out of your airbox. It might look like allot but it doesn't take much to look like trouble. So open your airbox and look for the white tell tale and clean if required. Also check your oil filter if you have replaced it with a non-Yamaha filter (they're longer and rub on the belly pan until a hole forms).
Good luck and hope this helps

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
A common issue is the oiltank, it cracks along the mounting plate, or @ the bottom hose fitting,
It problably leaks when the oil is hot, or when taken inside into where it's warm, cracks likes temperature changes,

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
The tank is still mostly full. Atleast still reading on the dipstick so it did not come from the oil tank. All from the motor. I am going to have to wait until this weekend to try and look into it deeper.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
Yes this is the same sled but why would it start leaking a week and a half after the incident. No visual damage anyway.

Thanks to all the input. Gives me a place to point my efforts on Saturday.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
Well I will see just how much is on the floor saturday. 3 quarts was a total guess as it is hard to tell when it is on the floor. But it does take up a spot under the trailer about 3ft by 4ft and then runs another 6 feet under my work bench. It has to be quite a bit.

Does anyone know how much oil is stored in the engine and how much is stored in the oil tank itself?

My thought process is to drain both seperately and then this will tell me if it is coming from the motor or the oil tank.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I lost about three quarts out of an engine once and the puddle was about fifteen feet across so I would say you are mire mike a quart or so. I think the motor itself holds half a quart.

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
Had a similar issue with my '07 and it was a crack in the 90* fitting on the bottom of the oil tank. It was a factory defect with the weld where they notched and bent the fitting, but I ended up having to buy one since Yamaha "has never had an issue with that fitting".:tsk:

On the bright side though, my oil tank is still attached to the frame...........for now..............

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
Thanks for all the input and advise. Tore the sled down a little today. Found the lower crankcase breather hose came disconnected. I would assume when I had the airbox pulled to the side to get to the battery after rectifier problems. Checked the motor and oil tank and didn't see anything out of the obvious as far as the tank goes or the 90 degree fitting.

The oil spot on the garage floor must have been diseaving. I don't know how much had leaked. Seemed like alot to me. My thought process is since it was about 1/2 quart low in the oil tank that it was not leaking since there was still oil in there. Along the same lines if I topped off the oil tank and started it, if the motor had leaked out that the oil tank would be sucked dry pumping it all in the motor. Topped off oil tank and let sled run. Stayed full therefore I assume the motor still had the oil that it origionally had in it.

Only time will tell after a test ride. Will let it sit this week and check for more oil spots.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
Does anyone know if the oil monitoring system shuts the motor down in low oil conditions or just gives a warning light?

I am afraid of ruining the motor with oil problems but if I keep a tight eye on it hopefully I can catch it if the fix was not the crank case breather hose.

I just can't beleive that ammount of oil would come out of a breather hose but who knows.

Just crossing my fingers.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
one other thing to check is the little drain bolt that is just off to the side of the filter under the motor if it comes loose it will seep oil there while sitting.most guys dont use it to change oil but its there to empty the bottom of the motor case of oil.

Premium Features