• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 (geo mod & ported track update)

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
So far i have gone on two rides after doing the geo mod, and porting my 153" powerclaw track. I have to say they are both incredible modifications.
first off, GEO MOD- before doing this my rear float was 145 psi, which made the trail almost impossible to ride and the trenching could be much less. so with my buddies 2010 m8 as our comparison i started w/ 105 psi after the geo mod- we both weigh 200 lbs and our sag was exactly the same and the sleds were the same height pre and post sag. So absolutly nothing changed except i got to ride w/ 40 psi less. after riding with this i came back to the shop and lowered it to 95 psi, and the zero pro i have the spring nuts exactly half way up and down on the threads. No gas or bags and just myself 197 lbs had the best amount of sag. let me just say the trail was so nice today and it was beat to sh%$. switched w/ my buddy for a mile and he was blown away. then in the powder climbing my track was flat on the snow and transfered weight 100% better, i outclimbed him going higher and w/ about 5 mph more speed. (could of been cause i ported the track).
Huge thank you to GEO for this idea.

Track porting- only used a 1" hole and only drilled two holes side by side. after the day compared to my friends 10'm8 we figured i had 10lbs less of snow and ice throughout my skid. visually it was absolutly different w/ the amount of snow left behind. when lifting the track on my stand and just letting the track do its own thing, compared to my buddy my track would spin fast enough it was scary to stop it w/ your hand. we both have 2 1/2" of room on track tension and the same belt deflection. my buddies track will barely make it around one full time and will start and stop somewhat. mine gets started and then continues at about 7 mph. it moves fast.
anyway so far these two mods are great and just wanted to pass this info along to anybody else. i got pics of everything if anyone wants to see.
thanks

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great info, please keep us updated!

I too have my track ported but, very conservatively.

I too think I like the lower rear suspension pressures better than the bucking 140ish pressures recommended.

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
I also did the geo mod to my 08. Made a different machine out of it. gerberhard, theres nothing to buy, its simply a matter of drilling four holes. You just move the scissor stop, and the rear suspension mounting point. Its the same geometry as a holtz skid after the mod. I'd post a link to the thread if I could find it. i can explain how to do it to anyone who would like the figures/directions for the 08+ skids. I run my float at 85 psi, and have the exact sag that i did previously at 145psi. The skid transfers WAY better and rides WAY smoother..Thanks Geo!!

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Its my understanding that the pow claw doesn't like to be ported because it a single ply track. good luck.

"IT LOVES TO BE PORTED" its so much happier. Your right though there is alway a chance that it will blow apart. but i ride hard and i check my sled after every ride. both dealers told me to do it.?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i would be very greatfull if someone would finally post pics of the 09-10 rails with this mod done, and the EXACT measurements for both the upper and lower relocation. been waiting on someone to update this info for awhile. going on a trip tomorrow night, would be awesome to test with and without the mod back to back. any help appreciated. ski

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I raised my rear air pressure to 135psi to trench less. Will doing this mod and dropping the pressure offset each other enough to achieve the same result?

Aaron

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
i would be very greatfull if someone would finally post pics of the 09-10 rails with this mod done, and the EXACT measurements for both the upper and lower relocation. been waiting on someone to update this info for awhile. going on a trip tomorrow night, would be awesome to test with and without the mod back to back. any help appreciated. ski

ski doo. the upper drop bracket is the exact same as the other years 11.4 mm down from the bend and 11.4 from front edge. on the bottom of the rails you'll see from a post from geo because of the swiss cheese rails the stop location is down and forward a bit? that all the info i had so i made my own idea from that.
i'll be back in one hour w/ pictures and measurments. i also had to buy a part from ace hardware to add to the stops. i'll post this in an hour

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
So like geo says for either 08-10' Center of the hole is 11.4 mm from front edge of brackett
& 11.4 mm down from the bend on mount.

STOP ON RAILS- the 08' were 7.9 mm down
and 7.9 mm forward from inside edge of original hole. well this makes the new hole so close to the old hole is you ever want to switch it back the original hole will become very weak.
So my solution was to make the hole 10mm down from top of rail and 10mm forward from the edge of old hole. then i went to ace and bought two shaft collars inside dia= 5/8 and outside dia= 1 1/8" and placed them over the stops. once installed the stop rests up against the arms perfect. this is what i did because geo said the 09 & 10 stop was down and forward a bit. this allows me to move back to old hole (not that i ever will) if i want to and have all the strength still.

Very nice transfer and as plush a ride as the valveing allows. "geo"

GEO 1.jpg GEO 4.jpg GEO 2.jpg GEO 3.jpg

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Its my understanding that the pow claw doesn't like to be ported because it a single ply track. good luck.

I'm relatively anti porting, but the powerclaw, IF DONE INTELLIGENTLY (ask mblankenship about what happens when NOT!!) does very well ported. We've done a few of them with the bdx tool where the holes are behind where the snow builds when the track is spinning & had very good results with many miles on them.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm relatively anti porting, but the powerclaw, IF DONE INTELLIGENTLY (ask mblankenship about what happens when NOT!!) does very well ported. We've done a few of them with the bdx tool where the holes are behind where the snow builds when the track is spinning & had very good results with many miles on them.

Do you have a pic

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I hate to ask this but can anyone post pics that have been edited through paint shop (or the like) labeling the parts with names and exact distances? Just got the sled and am a bit nervous to drill into it without exact locations and 100% confidence.

Thanks

p.s. For a 2010 M8 153

Premium Features