• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mountain sled on the trail

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I thought all the Ski Doos were trail sleds? How else do you explain that sit and ride steering post angle...

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Most mountain sleds are pretty good down the trail. Keep in mind though most don’t buy a mountain sled for trail, get to bothered if the handling is not quite up to par with a trail sled. Most only care how it performs in the conditions it was designed for.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you want the best of both world I'm guessing a freeride. Then I guess you have to decide whether it's a 154 or 165. I would have the front set at 36 if it was mine. Again, you have to decide what your emphasis is more towards on trail or off. The freeride is a good compromise with the better shocks and the doo rides better than the rest on the trail. The freeride also has the taller seat and a full length snow flap. If it was me I would get the expert because all I care about is off trail and it will do just fine on the trail.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
What are your trails like? I ride with a couple 165" Summits X's that regularly travel 60+ miles into the back country towing fuel sleds. Why ride where everyone else does? They don't complain one bit on the trails and are all smiles in the mountains. I do the same with my 163" XM Summit.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Any Ski-doo

Can only speak for Ski-doo, cause that's all I ride and have been riding long tracks on WI trails for 20 yrs. Currently on a 174, which works great for here or West and really like the longer skid for rougher trails (actually spans the bumps better). Usually the trails getting into back country out West are rougher than normal trails, cause they don't get groomed and that's where I feel longer really shines. Width is more of an issue for high speed cornering, but that can be mastered by slowing down when needed.
Guess I feel, longer is better cause it gives you the best chance of conquering anything you come too.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
If you get a freeride sprung and valved for your weight it wont embarrass itself on the trail, at least when it's straight, no longtracks like turning =)

Someone mentioned steering post angle, Yes the Doo is a lot nicer to trailride than the Polaris due to the post angle without suffering much, (at all), in the fluff because of it.
(The last 9 seasons I've spent 4 on long track XPs, then 4 on Polaris ProRide RMK and am now on a G4 Lynx so I would say I have some experience with both types)

Premium Features