• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X 850 Expert package Reviews

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Coming from the guy bleeding Polaris—all the same you peddle your propaganda they do theirs—- videos don’t mean poop to me - the only thing that matters is what I can do with my sled you with yours — if you like poo ride one I like doo and ride one done!

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
The Problem with AMDS review are any of there post on Instagram, the people that are giving the reviews are employees at the store and bleed skidoo. I Would like to see a expert sidehill the same line as a Polaris, and have it caught on video.

Yeah certainly, so if you read my first line of what is in parentheses you would see I covered this. They do have people who are not directly a part of the dealership on it giving feedback so that is a plus. However they are riding it and putting it in different words following riding it than we have heard and it sounds exciting.

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
No, you just described how you work!

When I purchased my 2017 summit g4 I happened to get a belt eater. My dealer couldn't help me so I turned to three of the skidoo ambassadors ,you being one of them and not one of you would help me try to figure out my problems with my sled. So when you say you speak unbiased about the product you support I call BULL****! They pay you to ride new stuff so to continue your sweet gig you guys are really never truthful about the actual problems that the machines have. Oh ya after spending a bunch of extra money to solve my belt eating issues I now have a sled that I love to ride and no thanks to the ski doo ambassadors input.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
When I purchased my 2017 summit g4 I happened to get a belt eater. My dealer couldn't help me so I turned to three of the skidoo ambassadors ,you being one of them and not one of you would help me try to figure out my problems with my sled. So when you say you speak unbiased about the product you support I call BULL****! They pay you to ride new stuff so to continue your sweet gig you guys are really never truthful about the actual problems that the machines have. Oh ya after spending a bunch of extra money to solve my belt eating issues I now have a sled that I love to ride and no thanks to the ski doo ambassadors input.

FYI your signature line says this:

Currently: So far the new doo is making me smile!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

I said I would not help you? Or did I say to open a case file? I did not produce the machine, I can only help you the best way I know how. If I know how to fix something then I would do that, however if they have not figured out the issue, which at that point they had not then how is it lying or not helping you? Fact is a lot of people said making a case file will do nothing, but what they found out later is that those with case files get the parts to fix the issue that had to be fixed by the engineers, which takes time as if they give you a fix that does not work then that would be very bad. If they can fix something easily like with the recent coolant hose clamp, it gets done fairly fast, with the clutching on some machines it took much longer, I never once said that there was no problem, I told you the % of machines that were seeing it and that if you had the issue it was a big issue that they were working on, I agree that anything longer than a day is going to seem too long, but as you can see the issues are resolved and you are enjoying your machine. So not sure that I lied to you, I understand that it is easy to take your frustrations out on me, and that is fine, but be honest in what your frustrated about. If I said to you that there is no issue and that you can't be having any issue and I said that to you then I would definitely be wrong and be lying and you would be correct. Send me the message that I said that to you and we can lay that to rest. If I told you what you can do and that did not satisfy you, then you can be angry at me but you can't say I lied to you. I am also the only one who captured the parts and the issues when they were released, at club when the fix was produced. Cheers dave

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
I asked you specifically about clutching and you said you couldn't help me for me to go to my dealer. Opening a case file was a joke because the wait for any answers was not going to happen for basically a whole year. I dont think you lie but you watch carefully what you say as to not bring you any heat from head office. The only guy to come out and say there was a heat issue was Rasmussen . I wouldn't want to spoil the terrific job you have I get it. You guys have to toe a tight line but when you say there are no problems and there are that's when you need to speak up and grow a pair. My rant is over I really enjoy my sled now and will in the future get another because it's a sport that I love and have enjoyed since I was 6. There will always be problems with these machines and those problems will 90% of the time will be sorted out by someone.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I asked you specifically about clutching and you said you couldn't help me for me to go to my dealer. Opening a case file was a joke because the wait for any answers was not going to happen for basically a whole year. I dont think you lie but you watch carefully what you say as to not bring you any heat from head office. The only guy to come out and say there was a heat issue was Rasmussen . I wouldn't want to spoil the terrific job you have I get it. You guys have to toe a tight line but when you say there are no problems and there are that's when you need to speak up and grow a pair. My rant is over I really enjoy my sled now and will in the future get another because it's a sport that I love and have enjoyed since I was 6. There will always be problems with these machines and those problems will 90% of the time will be sorted out by someone.

If I had told you that I could have helped your issue with clutching, i would have been lying, opening a case file was unfortunately all you could do at that point. A heat issue was not the problem which in hindsight is clear now. Heat is created by something and until that was sorted out it would never have been fixed. Ask any of the great clutching guru's on here and they admitted that a clutch kit or clutching would not fix the problem. Yes it sucks but usually issues, unless easy fixes, do not come out until the next model year, I said that once we knew and that is why it is so important to open a case file as it lets Ski-Doo know how many and what problems there are. I never said once that there were no problems, in fact I knew there were problems probably before you did, in a low percentage of machines, also never said the problem is no big deal, as if you have an issue it is a big deal, if you don't then it is not, I just told you the best thing to do at the time. What you don't see is what we say in meetings and the emails we send when we get issues from customers. The reason you don't see that is because I don't share those here where it would make zero difference, I share them with the people who can make a difference. Unfortunately I have no company line to tote, I just state the facts that I experience. If I don;t experience your issues then how can i possibly talk about them. I am glad your sled is working well and you are enjoying it, that is really all that matters and it is the goal Ski-Doo strives for with every machine sold. Happy Riding!

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is an orangey red or more similar to a brick. Not the red it looks like in the brochure or on internet. If you have seen the 19 or an 18 can am x3 was similar. It is fine but not what I would pay 200 more for.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Should be more reviews soon. Seems to be more demos and etc happening. Post them up if you have one or find any video reviews

J
Dec 20, 2012
Dillon, MT
expert

I have a buddy who has the figure and some riding abilities of a pro. He told me that I probably wouldn't like it. For one he knows I don't like to spend $$$ to buy and then spend a bunch more to mod! I'm 6ft 240lbs (buck naked) and I know that the majority of the riders I ride with are close to the same. I even started a channel (fatguyfriendly) I'm going to put a 165 on a 154 gen 4 and not have to worry about buy higher risers and replacing a seat that only fits half a cheek! Lets tell em to make a package for the majority of the paying customer instead of the package just for the Pro's.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I see nothing but improvements from 2017 to 2020...
Even the clutching is "better"...
2020 has the same clutching as the 19s so a little help in this area is still important for optimum performance...
GripnRip alignment still applies...

IMHO the 2020 SP/X are BNG (a few refinements is normal) the Expert is clearly where the time was spent and it shows:present:

stage 1 tune up for my sled-
Jaws/DP exhaust (180 hp/120 tq/10 lb weight savings)
SHR clutching
GnR alignment
GIVER!!-BJ

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I see nothing but improvements from 2017 to 2020...
Even the clutching is "better"...
2020 has the same clutching as the 19s so a little help in this area is still important for optimum performance...
GripnRip alignment still applies...

IMHO the 2020 SP/X are BNG (a few refinements is normal) the Expert is clearly where the time was spent and it shows:present:

stage 1 tune up for my sled-
Jaws/DP exhaust (180 hp/120 tq/10 lb weight savings)
SHR clutching
GnR alignment
GIVER!!-BJ

If that's the stage 1
face-icon-small-happy.gif
what is the stage 2?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Got out for my first ride on the expert today. So i thought I would resurrect this thread.

I have added Fox IQS (which deserves its own review, short review - it works and is not a gimmick)

don’t have the stock suspension, so can’t comment on it. Big things I noticed today, what ever they did to the spindle/ski rubber works and works well. I was really surprised and probably over riding the sled because i could not get it to wash out on side hills. Didn’t play on anything to steep today because of Avy danger in our area was considerable. I had dura-pros in my 2017 and it did not sidehill nearly as good as the expert. It just goes where ever you steer it. I have also locked out the T-motion and added a ZRP z-motion and let my limiter strap out one hole. Maybe have to unlock the T-motion and see if it performs the same.

Im 6’1 and imo the handle bar height was perfect. Will not be wanting a taller riser.

I had the removable snow flap on my 2017, but the expert short tunnel really does what they say and evacuates snow. We have pretty baseless conditions right now and that sled climbs out of holes and you have to almost try to get it stuck.

The handlebars- the flexible hand guards are nice and are not something I probably would have purchased, but that are a very nice addition. The smaller diameter grips, I’m not to sure yet. Maybe different gloves will make me like them more. I wore the new Klim gore-Tex inversion glove today which is very thin and probably just make you notice the smaller diameter more. The bend and width of the bar is good, no complaints.

All in all, this new expert sled is the real deal. I can’t wait for the next ride after it breaks in more and I get more use to it.

Please share your ride review on yours! Cheers

814536076f9d8cac301bf3ba8d9146e9.jpg
2b590cfea8aed9975b6eed7006422283.jpg

Update: just finished up my handlebar set up with Munster throttle, Munster kill switch, Skinz brake lever and ZRP reservoir guard. Ran this set up last few seasons and love it.

8fa714da57d717fbe351db2cc4de86bf.jpg

Last edited:

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Power vs the 17? Clutching good?

Ace

Sled had zero miles, so it wouldn't let it over rev, by the end of the day i was hitting 7900 consitantly. hard to compare my old sled, it had a belt drive and was clutched well. Yes the clutching seemed much better than what i remember on my 2017 when it was stock and new. The power felt great. i didn't talk about it in my last post, as i don't think its fair to compare the power of it when the sled is in break in mode. i thought it felt really strong though.

Premium Features