• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro O-Ring Head Spacer

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
I am so troubled with head lift at 20psi and bring pressure in the cooling system with mcx headspacer :(
I'm so tired of and changing the Cylinder head gasket over and over. :(
The compression ratio now is 8:5

Last edited:
C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
24PSI???

Tarzan is 24 PSI really required?? What application are you using it for, drag racing or mountain riding?? I am just curious, ..I can understand 24 for racing but for practical daily reliable riding, ..wow! Is this on your Big Engine??

To answer your question, I don't have first hand experience with the Powderlites O-ring head shim. Going back a few years, there were some guys trying to run 22 + psi on their Yammies, they had a Shop machine cut an o-ring groove into the block, then place O-rings into the grooves. Seems to me they had some success but also some related issues, perhaps they can add their input for you.

Makes for a lot of dynamic compression when spinning high rpm's with 20+ lbs of boost. Reducing your static ratio down to 8.5 should definitely help.

Noticeable around here these days, guys are reducing overall full load boost and opting for a higher static compression ratio for overall performance gains with a crisper throttle response.

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
Tarzan is 24 PSI really required?? What application are you using it for, drag racing or mountain riding?? I am just curious, ..I can understand 24 for racing but for practical daily reliable riding, ..wow! Is this on your Big Engine??

To answer your question, I don't have first hand experience with the Powderlites O-ring head shim. Going back a few years, there were some guys trying to run 22 + psi on their Yammies, they had a Shop machine cut an o-ring groove into the block, then place O-rings into the grooves. Seems to me they had some success but also some related issues, perhaps they can add their input for you.

Makes for a lot of dynamic compression when spinning high rpm's with 20+ lbs of boost. Reducing your static ratio down to 8.5 should definitely help.

Noticeable around here these days, guys are reducing overall full load boost and opting for a higher static compression ratio for overall performance gains with a crisper throttle response.
Yes it is for dragracing with my buildt engine :) In the mountains i run 16-18psi. But maybe 24psi is to much for my engine?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Maybe close deck your block and o ring it? That would be strong enough that you could raise your comp ratio again. After 20 psi the cylinders start to deflect and can oval out over time if consistently run that high

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

yah there was a few of us that did it & most failed within a 1000km but it was all because of the size of copper wire used for the ring was to big.mine has been perfect since we re-sized the wire but i never go over 18lbs & now run 15-16lbs most of the time,just to fast above that:face-icon-small-coo

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
yah there was a few of us that did it & most failed within a 1000km but it was all because of the size of copper wire used for the ring was to big.mine has been perfect since we re-sized the wire but i never go over 18lbs & now run 15-16lbs most of the time,just to fast above that:face-icon-small-coo

Has anyone tested high boost (over 25psi) with the resized copper wire?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Has anyone tested high boost (over 25psi) with the resized copper wire?

i dont think so but its possible i know me neil & render all had it done plus some of the guys at alpine motor sports in salmon arm .none of the guys i know ran that much boost.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
In your opinion is it still better than a gasket, got an apex motor that I wanna be able to crank up 30lbs for drags and the odd day on the mountain

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
What cylinders?

"Yes it is for drag racing with my buildt engine In the mountains i run 16-18psi. But maybe 24psi is to much for my engine?"

Tarzan

What cylinders does your big bore stroker engine have, bored out stock with nikasil plating? or did they install the Ductile Iron cylinders? I would suspect that the Ductile iron cylinders would be more capable of retaining their shape under big boost.

You could also check with Hurricane Performance, or GNS Enterprises to see what they recommend. They run 25 to 30 lbs boost on the race engines.

CR

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
In your opinion is it still better than a gasket, got an apex motor that I wanna be able to crank up 30lbs for drags and the odd day on the mountain

on a apex motor my guess is you would oval the cylinders pretty fast with that much boost,have seen them do it at allot less boost.like ron said only guys i know that run that kinda boost is hurricane performance,think they run steel sleeved cylinder.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
I run an fully built Hurricane Performance motor in my Nytro. My motor is ringed, I run carillos and the CP turbo pistons that Paul gave me. It also has some very aggressive head work done and upgraded valve springs. Originally in my 08 motor I had it steel sleeved but found it ran way to hot. I ordered an 2011 block and had Dave reassemble it. Never had a heat issue since that. I have run the sled up to 28 lbs. Last year I ran it at 22-24 lbs all day long on 112 fuel and never had an issue. If I remember correctly Dave said the head is tourqued to 80 lbs.

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
"Yes it is for drag racing with my buildt engine In the mountains i run 16-18psi. But maybe 24psi is to much for my engine?"

Tarzan

What cylinders does your big bore stroker engine have, bored out stock with nikasil plating? or did they install the Ductile Iron cylinders? I would suspect that the Ductile iron cylinders would be more capable of retaining their shape under big boost.

You could also check with Hurricane Performance, or GNS Enterprises to see what they recommend. They run 25 to 30 lbs boost on the race engines.

CR
?I havent a big bore engine,my friend have a stroker engine :) He have the stroker kit from Hurricane instaled :) My engine have Carrillo rods,low pistons,kibbelwhite stronger valve springs,head jobb and a Mcx chim. :)

Premium Features