• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stabbed track!

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
If I had any luck it would be of the bad variety!
Best snow of the year and I stabbed my 3 ride old camo extreme 2.5x162. I have 162 ice age rails the oem lightweight kit and was running the ice age anti stab kit as well. The right side anti stab wheel worked itself loose and I didn't know it, was sidehilling luckily fairly slow hit a bump in the snow then almost got thrown off. The sled never stopped so I thought I had hit a stump and I went to get back in the throttle and instant track ratchet. Made it down to the flat to find both rails in a u shape and my track torn on the side. Luckily it was able to make it off the mountain without being towed.

Make sure to check your anti stab wheels before each ride, mine were tight and locktighted 3 rides ago. Haven't gotten it apart yet so I'm hoping the shocks or chromoly arms aren't bent as well, as it sits well over $1,000 in parts plus hours of labor. I'm looking for a replacement track and wondered if the power claw 2.6 would fit or should I stick with a camo extreme? I've got avid drivers meant for the old style camo extreme and am wondering if there is another track option to fit the avids, or will I be trimming the outside nubs again?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I stabbed a track about 10 years ago and that was one of the most violent wrecks I've had on a sled! Sorry to heard about your bad luck.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Bolt backed out had blue loctite too. On the brighter side I ordered new rails as I bent one hitting a stump sidehilling (crappy Washington low snow year) but hadn't put them in as I was able to straighten it fairly well to get by for a ride, so I have those already. Just gotta decide on a new track and hopefully I can get the missing anti-stab wheel and I'll be back in business.

Has anyone tried fixing or had a torn track fixed? It seems a shame to throw out a basically brand new track with 1 torn window. I've been reading up on rubber glues while mostly meant for rubber belting might hold up.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That was pretty ugly. Good thing there was a splitting maul in the cabin. I had to use the splitting maul from that cabin to straighten out the front end on my rev so I could ride it out.

I don’t think u can save that track but it cant hurt to try, unless it comes apart while climbing a chute.
I luv the 2.6 powerclaw, hooks up great in all snow conditions.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Big hammer can fix a lot! I ordered a new track, my dealer gave me a good price on one. I'm going to send the other off for repair to carrol tech if the shipping isn't outrageous, quoted me a couple hundred to fix it good as new. I should be back riding this weekend, snows too good not to!

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
Sorry to hear!!

I was told to use Red Locktite when I put my rear skid together and I still had two bolts back out of one bar. I check it every ride now. I think its like a lift kit where you need to re-tourque after one use.

Duramax325

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2011
Minot N.D.
Why are u running a anti stab kit. Is it common to stab a track with out it. The only reason I ask is I just put on a brand new camo extreme and that would suck bad. Sorry about the luck I have the same kind. Lol

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
The 3.0" pitch tracks have the largest drive windows, all it takes is a sharp bump and it could deflect the track into the slide rail and possibly catch ripping your track and bending up your skid. If it catches while your moving fast I can't imagine it being good. I was barely going and it bent both rails in a u shape, bent one tip up, and tore up my track.
The anti stab is just a set of wheels to keep this from happening, cheap insurance if you ask me.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
even if you have 3/4 of the anti-stab kit on it you shouldnt be hitting things light that. how loose are you runing the track, also, did you radius the front of the rail and hyfax?

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
No, I didn't radius it didn't no I needed to. I thought that's what I bought the kit for. I'll be sure to this time though!
vebamahu.jpg

a5ede9y6.jpg

erytaby8.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
You should have taken pics up in the mountains. That rail was bent alot more than that.

Ridin da Yamacat

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
It still is, picture doesn't do it justice. Got all the parts, not looking forward to putting them on. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to re drill the skid mounts on the new rails.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, radiusing the front so it leaves about 1/8" around the anti-stab shaft is recommended purely for this sort of scenario. or if a track were to flex up even a little between the wheels, that forward angle is just asking for trouble. smooth backwards sweep is a happy safe track.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Why are u running a anti stab kit. Is it common to stab a track with out it. The only reason I ask is I just put on a brand new camo extreme and that would suck bad. Sorry about the luck I have the same kind. Lol

Even with a 3.0 pitch, it's not common to stab your track without an anti-stab. There are plenty of sleds out on the snow without them.

Bad luck does smack us all from time to time though!

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
I didn't know that not running rail "caps" was this common now. I stabbed a track about 20 years ago on my dads 84 srv, didn't enjoy that one bit. I feel for ya man, tracks are $$$ and drilling holes in shiney stuff sucks!

Looking at the pic of the front of the hyfax, you can see it's been talkin to ya. Kibbled that sharp edge off till she finally got a full bite

Last edited:
Premium Features