• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 apex fuel pump relay/s? no start on cold days -20C ish

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys. I cant seem to find what I'm looking for. If there only 1 relay for the fuel pump system or what? , I havent personally had an issue with my sled except on those really cold mornings of about -18c and colder... It wont start! Starts up in my garage. load sled up. drive to parking lot and go to unload.. no go. I figured my fuel pump didnt like the cold so i'd pour my hot beverage on the fuel pump... dont help. then turning the key on off enough times it might get the pump going finally... So I'm pretty sure its a relay?.

I'm not sure which relay/s it is and At that... Can I get a bosch relay instead of going to the yamaha dealer and paying them a ton of money for something that chances are I could get at the automotive store? anybody got any part numbers? :tongue: Thanks!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Have you tried boosting it when it's cold out? My old Apex would turn over seemingly fast enough but wouldn't start when it got cold. It turned out the battery was able to crank the sled but it didn't have enough voltage to run the FI and crank the sled. New battery problem solved. This problem will show up if you have one of those cheap YTZ7s light weight copies like I did, replaced it with an Odesey.

M5

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
don't overlook the simple stuff.....put a new battery in it.

your symptoms all point to low voltage (bad battery). these batteries do not last 7 years like a car battery. i replace mine every 2 years

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
thanks for the info. so we got 2 all in on bad battery. you guys could very well be right... Batt is deff atleast 1-2 years old. I'll go check its charge right now as it sits.. I do find it interesting it would be enough to crank the sled but not enough to get the relay triggered for the fuel pump and such?

Could explain that cranking it a bit helps it warm the battery up from moving some current then it works after a bit...

however I went out for a ride yesterday. And I just checked my battery its been a full... atleast 30 hours since it last ran and battery is 12.72V which Isnt too bad?

Last edited:
thanks for the info. so we got 2 all in on bad battery. you guys could very well be right... Batt is deff atleast 1-2 years old. I'll go check its charge right now as it sits.. I do find it interesting it would be enough to crank the sled but not enough to get the relay triggered for the fuel pump and such?

Could explain that cranking it a bit helps it warm the battery up from moving some current then it works after a bit...

however I went out for a ride yesterday. And I just checked my battery its been a full... atleast 30 hours since it last ran and battery is 12.72V which Isnt too bad?
don't sound bad but i'm interested in what others have to say is that in the garage or outside ??

Last edited:
D
Nov 30, 2007
mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago, had to push it off my deck and tow it into the garage, about an hr later it was fine, but that would have sucked if i was out somewhere and not loaded on the truck!

Premium Features