• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Greasemonkey,
I've been running non ethanol 91 with Lucas octane booster mixed in but found out I've got a new Sunoco 100 pump right by my house that I'll probably switch to. I've got access to cheap av gas I can try too so I'll probably do a little experimenting to see what I like. For as many times that I get to ride especially this year running high octane fuel is not a big deal, I also like the instant power from stock compression.

Chim,
If I were you I'd consider the koso x2 for boost, afr, and water temp that's what I'd be running if I didn't already have aem boost and afr gauges. The aem boost gauge I have is the digital version and I've had no problems with it if all you want is a boost gauge.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher didnt you just install a Koso gauge?

But Powderman im pretty sure that is out of my price range, I will probably just have to go with a straight forward small boost gauge.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I understand the budget thing, these things seem like endless money pits! Just look around on eBay there's quite a few deals to be had. I had a cheap $40 mechanical gauge at first and was not happy at all with it. It just bounced around and was not accurate switched to aem digital gauges and have no problems with them.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well I will have to see what I can come up with!

Well I had a very interesting thing happen today to my belt!

Looks like the belt split in half or delaminated. I heard a pop while riding but the sled kept going so I continued to the trailer and then found this.

2aqy9e2a.jpg

uva5a8yt.jpg

5anygumu.jpg

It's to bad, haha I had that belt for four years!

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Has happened to me in deep heavy snow, the belts just get too hot. At least yamaha belts are somewhat cheap compared to other brands!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
It's funny because I was on the trail home. Just going 50 or 60.

And I'll see if that deflector is alright!

Hmm maybe my turbo is gonna start eating belts, I hope not!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Mine are belts last year because my clutching wasn't right. My new clutching setup seems to be much better so I'm hoping I don't keep going through belts.

The purpose of that snow deflector was to help with water issues on your foot on that side. With your airframe running boards that isn't an issue so I would just take that thing off to be safe. Often it can look fine but when mine caused me troubles I was going over a log and the plastics pushed up from underneath and pushed the deflector into my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Ohh well if that is the case then I will see how hard it is to get rid of it. How many belts are you going through a year now?

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Ok thats not to bad at all. I am going to throw this up into a new thread just for better viewing and discussion point.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright well guess its time to just get some extra belts.

Well back to the turbo, one thing I wanted to point out from this last weeks ride was the fact about when climbing how easily the sled just pops up when want it to and how much fun I had just riding it on track while climbing up the powder that I found.

Now im sure for most of you this is old news, but for me it was just a blast. haha once again I love boost!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Question for everyone.

So yesterday when we were unloading sleds we have been battling a continuing problem since I turbo'd the sled.

The sled will just die at low RPM when trying to load it into or unload it from the trailer.

When we unloaded my sled two days ago, the sled died 5 times trying to get it to just crawl out of the trailer, only when you really give it throttle will it move out but then its just to uncontrollable so I just pull it out by hand.

This is the same when loading it, if i try and load it slow and nice it will just idle out and die.

If anyone can tell me if they have had this issue before that would be great!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Hey dude, I scanned this thread at first, but just went post for post and re-read the whole thing. I'm impressed.
Other than your dad leading on the thread without either of you mentioning he's your dad......(got obvious pretty quick ;) )

I'm very impressed. Absolutely no idea what you were doing and you tackled this. I have strong opinions about newbies riding mod sleds, but it seems like you are learning all you can. Good on ya! Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop ragging on ya....but I have a new found respect for you.

BTW - this thread took me like 2hrs to read! Little too detailed for me, but it's not my thread.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hey dude, I scanned this thread at first, but just went post for post and re-read the whole thing. I'm impressed.
Other than your dad leading on the thread without either of you mentioning he's your dad......(got obvious pretty quick ;) )

I'm very impressed. Absolutely no idea what you were doing and you tackled this. I have strong opinions about newbies riding mod sleds, but it seems like you are learning all you can. Good on ya! Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop ragging on ya....but I have a new found respect for you.

BTW - this thread took me like 2hrs to read! Little too detailed for me, but it's not my thread.

Never tried to make it a secret of any sort.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Never tried to make it a secret of any sort.

Never said you did. But it woulda made more sense to get it out of the way instead of scratching my head as to why you called on his behalf of parts and how you knew certain things. Like I said, leading the thread along.

Nothing wrong with it, but made sense once I put two and two together.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well I guess when people put the time and effort in the thread they will make it to the pot of gold that you have given them and all will be understood haha.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well another amazing day of riding in island park! Here's a few pictures for you! I now have an official sled monkey

e6ynunyt.jpg

yza5a4as.jpg

subadera.jpg

6yjazequ.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright, does anyone else have issues getting there sled to reverse controllably? I can't seem to get reverse without it just going nuclear when I'm pulling it out of the garage

Premium Features