• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow in air box

Sep 12, 2012
So I have a 03 pro-x 800. Every time I hit a drift snow gets in the air box then it will run like ****. All of my filters are good, and the seals between the carbs and the air box. I can't figure out how it's getting in there and it's very frustrating because everytime I have to take it apart and clean it. Any ideas? Also if I put some k&n filters on would I have to change jetting? Thanks eveyone.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Does the airbox have a seam in it? 2-piece boxes have been known to let in snow and belt dust. Neither of which you want in your engine. I use black gorilla tape to seal my airbox seam. Other tape would work, that is just what I had handy in a 1" width.

Also, how is the foam O-ring between the airbox and the hood? You could be missing it, or it is smashed down to the point it will not seal up. If you know someone with a clothes steamer you can fluff it back up pretty easily. Otherwise, stop by an upholstery shop and they could steam it real quick.

R

rmk4ever

Sep 18, 2009
Powder comes thru the headlight seam, most guys put weather stripping behind it (have to remove light) I always used gorilla tape on the outside seal. The space between the hood & light. Not sure how pwdr makes it to airbox, but without a doubt it does.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Yup comes in under the headlight my old sled I sprayed expanding foam under the light it looked like $#1+ but it did the trick.

Premium Features