• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 apex, get rid of the jack shaft tapered bearing

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hi guys, I was thinking to get rid of that tapered bearing on the jackshaft. I really dont see any need for it other than to become a hassle. Theres a local bearing place called wajax aka kaman. i was thinking to see about getting a direct fit bearing over the shaft with out that stupid tapered thing and the nut.... does that seem like a good idea or not? sled has a 310 mcx kit on it

the bearing cant go anywhere if i did that, you got the snap ring to hold it in place and its held in place on the other end by a nut and tightened in through the chaincase side. The only thing i could think of is maybe the tapered idea is to help "hold" the shaft also in place from being able to move in or out? but again i think the chaincase side when its tightened in takes up that role anyways?

What do you guys figure?

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Sounds like more of a hassle to change than leave be? Why do you wanna change it. It obviously came like that from the factory for a reason

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds like more of a hassle to change than leave be? Why do you wanna change it. It obviously came like that from the factory for a reason

its a hassle, as it is factory marks up their bearings big time, 12$ bearing costs 60$ locally from the yami vs the bearing place that sells the same bearing. problem is, is they cant get the bearing i need because it was specially made for yamaha only.

so anyways it came like that to probably be a hassle and or to help hold the shaft a bit from side to side movement.

I just picked up a replacement bearing to replace the tapered one with one that directly fits on the shaft. if i never sand paper'd it smooth then it would be a tight fit. but i did so it slides on it lol. So i'm told use some good old green loc-tite and it wont move at all once it settles. itll have a firm grip

So im doing this because its cheaper. simpler. and saves time. because that darn lock ring to try and put on sure is not easy nor fun.... probably have to remove a bellow or 2, and not to mention as most people are saying yami probably did it on purpose. alot of manufacturers do that stuff so you have to buy from them.... but this 1 bearing? fairly odd but ah well!

Premium Features