• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 venture, no start

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
ok, so ive noticed how quick n smart most of you guys are, heres another one for ya. my dad went out to the cabin for new years, in -10 to -25 weather. no problems until they went to leave and then after starting up and running for a few, it died and wouldnt start again. it turns over, but no fart. put some HEET in the tank and a half hour later, same thing. tarped it and put the mr. hater under to warm it up, got warm and totally dry...turn over, no fart.:face-icon-small-con i dont know if he saw any codes on the screen, and im not sure he checked any fuses. so him and the wife rode back on her 440 sport and left the tank to freeze. this is gunna be fun :face-icon-small-dis its suppose to be cold like that all week and i wont get the chance to get out there till this weekend at earliest to pull it back, any thoughts on this?

thanks

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
fuel pump or starter relay froze up. pour some hot water on the relays and it will go. thats only in emergecy though! yamaha has an updated relay.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
fuel pump or starter relay froze up. pour some hot water on the relays and it will go. thats only in emergecy though! yamaha has an updated relay.

im kinda dumd when it comes to proper names of things:face-icon-small-con, what exactly am i looking to pour the water on? i would almost think that the whole machine being dry would mean it shoulda been thawed out. but i wasnt out there, and my dads idea of "thawed n dry" is probly a lil different then mine, so i will be recheckin all options. but then again, if it dont get above 0* out, i dont think im pourin water on anything, but it would be nice to know if i had to do it. thanks.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
if the engine is cranking then its NOT your starter relay. If its just clicking and the engine is not cranking then indeed the starter relay is bad. I would not recommend pouring water on anything. Last time i checked pouring water on electrical components is a big no no.

I would get it in a warm garage overnight to let the heet do its job, rule out ice/water in the fuel system first

Last edited:
B
Dec 5, 2010
Dont pour water on anything! His fuel pump relay has frozen. There should be a code 43 on the dash while trying to crank and a small amber light on the dash. Is this a venture GT, RS or Lite? They are all located in a different place on different sleds so need more info to help. He basically needs to heat the relay to the point it will that itslef and work again. This will work in a pinch but a new relay is still needed.

Ask if he could hear the fuel pump turn on when he turned the key switch on.

Last edited:
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
you guys didnt read "only in emergency" kind of hard to put it in the shop to thaw when your stuck at a shack! this happened to me! last time i checked my sled gets wet under the hood and so does the electical components. thats why they make them water tight. just sayin!

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
so we got out there this weekend, put the key in, lights came on @ "dash", fuel pump kicked on, no codes on screen, turned key...nothing. didnt even click. left key "on", turned kill switch off and on, turned key... the damn thing fired right up! not sure what the deal was unless he was just looking for a weekend away from the wife. u know, the old leave the machine at the cabin so there is an excuse to go back out without her? so we let it run for a bit, all i can figure is the heet needed more time than he gave it. we had no problems until we got back to the house to unload. then no nothing. fuel pump kicks on, but nothing else. i took my rubber mallet and tapped all around the machine, tried the key, it fired right up. :face-icon-small-con, im guessing there must be some water getting in a connection and freezing somewhere. this will be fun. at least its home though.

and as far as the pouring water on stuff. my only concern about that was with it being hot water and if it was still -15 out there. i know that hot water will form a layer of ice faster than it will thaw anything out in those temps. and no im not really too worried about the water under the hood... it is a snow machine and really should be made for that.

thanks for the help guys.

Premium Features