• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 MTX STOCK SHOCK ?

S
Oct 26, 2011
Hey guys just wonderin of what I should tighten the front springs on my sled or should I not tighten them at all help I am lost in this one?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
sledneck_67

You are going to give some more information on what exactly you are trying to accomplish with adjusting the shocks before anyone can give you advice. Is the front end too soft? Too stiff? does the sled feel like it is like riding on a marshmellow?

S
Oct 26, 2011
Well i am really just curious of what the benifits of tightening them are mine are currently not tightened at all they are jst at the top of the threads. Feels fine to me but i am ondering if tighten what would the pros be or the cons.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
sledneck_67
By tightening the springs you are giving the shock more pre-load for the compression stroke of the shock. this means that the overall ride will be stiffer but it will be able to handle larger bumps without bottoming the suspension or having the nose of the sled dive down as far. Since suspension set-up is more about personal preference and riding style then anything its tough for anyone to say what will work better for you. The stiffer the front shocks became the quicker it will react to your body movement on the sled.
I would find a small area that you ride in and ride around so you can feel how your sled reacts to the terrain. then tighten up the springs a little and ride around the same area again to see if the sled feels any better or reacts better to your body movements. It is a give and take thing. You may find that it works better in one area and worse in the others. I would just play around

S
Oct 26, 2011
Awesome thank you very much BHOLMLATE much appreciated. I am really new into exploring what my sled does if i tighten this or remove this. I will take what you have told me and try what works best for me

Premium Features