• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home made alpha skid, first ride

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So a couple weeks ago I had an idea pop into my brain about building an alpha skid out of the parts of my stock 17’ 153 cat skid. My family was all leaving on vacation for 10 days at the time, so I had plenty of free time. It really wasn’t too hard, but took a ton of time to get it right. The rails were placed so that there was a 1/4” space between the two slide rails, just like the alpha skid. There was a lot of cutting, grinding, measuring, trial fitting etc. About half way through the project I found out that this was how the alpha skid started. Some engineer in island park saw the skid on the ground 5 or 6 years ago and thought, “what if?”. I finally took it out today for the maiden voyage. All I can say is wow! We got 10-15” new snow over night. Had a 17’ axys and 17” doo 850 to compare. It really amazes me how effortless the single rail skid sidehills. With the axys and doo it really took a lot more effort to hold the sled on one ski. If my new 19’ alpha is better than my makeshift one, next season will be amazing!

DC2351B0-3057-4945-BAD9-963C40FF8AB9.jpg 7C366F36-C9A8-4A39-96EE-388838EB71B8.jpg 661A7691-1AC3-45C7-8678-FAD1B87D232B.jpg 3AE71435-1A70-4D52-82F4-3E1B7B80AED5.jpg A90712BB-E297-40E8-BCFC-A8A61CEB8EC0.jpg

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
2” squares cut out of the center of the track like the alpha track. Haven’t finished clipping the track yet, cuz the first batch of track clips I tried I didn’t like how they fit. Eight tooth cat drivers with each driver flipped around so the extroverts are in the center, just like the alpha drivers.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have been thinking about trying this also looks good thanks for posting. How much time you have invested in this?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Love the creativity. Nice job!

Probably a dumb question but would this work without the drive shaft mod and windows cut into the track? Un modified drive shaft and drivers would still grab track in originally designed spots so wouldn’t modifying drive shaft only be needed if u wanted to use alpha track? (Which is a badass looking track)

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Nice work

Awesome.
I was wondering if anyone would try this this spring before the snow melted.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Nice work, I bet we will see aftermarket companies offering kits to move the rails tight together for all brands.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
just cant be done because its patented, and alpha has special track... we must pay 3500 dollars:face-icon-small-win

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
This is interesting. The alpha has the boxed rail section. I wonder if a pair of rails like this will be sturdy enough sideways, or want to bend and lose the track?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Skid mod

Madmax
I've got a Timbersled skid here out of my 2012 M1100T.
It looks like it would be easier to mod a Timbersled or Kmod skid by the looks of it.
What do you think?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Excellent mod!
I have been thinking the same thing since it was introduced. Just add a few spacer bushings to ensure it is rigid like a latter. Does the rear arm come in contact with the skid when fully compressed? As for the clips I was thinking of alternating side to side in-between the 2 side/side ones on the paddles. I bet there was a-lot less snow packed in there!
Mike

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Skid

Madmax
I've got a Timbersled skid here out of my 2012 M1100T.
It looks like it would be easier to mod a Timbersled or Kmod skid by the looks of it.
What do you think?

After looking at a pic of the skid maybe it's not easier???
The following pic is the style of skid I've got here.
The front arm looks easy. The rear arm would take some work.

image.jpg

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
D1100T
The front arm is easy, the rear pogo stick a different story.
But can the rear skid bolts mount on the inside of the gussets? If so then you would have to build a strap assy. to lower the mounts inward and down. With this being said the back of the sled would be lifted considerably, can the upper mounts be raised in the tunnel to lower the difference? Just need to make sure it can pivot forward without binding on rail edges. I am sure someone else may have a better idea!
Mike

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Skid mod

D1100T
The front arm is easy, the rear pogo stick a different story.
But can the rear skid bolts mount on the inside of the gussets? If so then you would have to build a strap assy. to lower the mounts inward and down. With this being said the back of the sled would be lifted considerably, can the upper mounts be raised in the tunnel to lower the difference? Just need to make sure it can pivot forward without binding on rail edges. I am sure someone else may have a better idea!
Mike

I agree.
Racers edge has a rear arm that I think would work?
Heim joint would need to be locked/stiff.
I dont think you'd want any motion at the heim joint?

image.jpg

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
That would be the ticket! Just replace the bearing and you are set! Here is another thing I was thinking, would a 2.625 - 2.75" wheel fit inside of the 2 rails? Why not make it a roller blade design so friction is minimal at best! I bet with hyfax mods in that area it could be done. If the wheel set down a 1/16" you could angle the Hyfax slightly to make it really pivot? Just trim one edge of Hyfax to either allow the rails to be further apart to accommodate the wheels, or cut out the area surrounding the wheels? I would do at least 5 to 6 wheel full lg. starting from the tip back, maybe two at the front for stabilization for track coming off drivers. As for track maybe just sheet metal clips attached in a different manner than stamping holes/clipping? Mike

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
NEXT!!!!!!

Ok,, now that we are talking home grown innovation, let's move on to the chain case. Let's face it the new chassis will be more like a bike and that will just about end the wrong foot forward riding style.. Go back to the mid 70's and look at how the secondary clutch is mounted on a Cat or Doo I think all had an in board clutch. Now, make that chain case long like a Doo case then lift the engine up a little and center it in the chassis. Raise the running boards near the top of the tunnel build the tank in a modified Z shape move the bars forward more and you have what is coming..
I can draw pretty good and hope to put up a pic or two soon.
I thought of this design clear back when the Rev came out. I have limited fab skills but am going to turn an M1000 into this. This rear skid narrowing was one of the things I am going to do.....

Premium Features