• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Ski-doo" Steering

C

crossfire879

Oct 21, 2010
Alberta, Canada
I haven't ridden a new ski-doo and everyone says it has the best feeling steering. Canada sled parts has a post forward kit that "makes the proclimb steer like a ski-doo". I honestly don't have an issue with how my steering feels but its all I know. I have only had cats since 08. So is post-forward steering that much better and what does I feel like compared to the stock setup?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Checkout the threads on oft racing turcotte post and c3 post forward kits both of those are doo style steering list and those threads have several people with good feedback in them. In the past I have agreed with co that the doo steering isn't ideal for tech riding however after breaking my stock steering setup 3 different times last year I've decided this year to go to the simpler direct steering system and deal with the adjustment. Nobody that has made the conversion and given it an honest chance has regret it. I'll have this sled in some technical riding within the next month and report back. If the kit sucks I'll make
Sure people Know and if it's as good as People Say it is then it's going to be a heck of a winter.

One thing I will say right now is I don't care how tough you are if a sled is easier to steer at the end of the day you are going to be more energized and losing your buddies. Riding a poor handling sled just because in your head it's the best setup is stupid to me. I liked
How my Cat handled last year but I think it could've been better in the steering department so I look forward to giving this a try.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I love mine I'm going from 2 in forward to 3 in forward this year probably won't own another pro climb without a post forward kit.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
One thing I will say right now is I don't care how tough you are if a sled is easier to steer at the end of the day you are going to be more energized and losing your buddies. Riding a poor handling sled just because in your head it's the best setup is stupid to me. I liked
How my Cat handled last year but I think it could've been better in the steering department so I look forward to giving this a try.

And my test is the following..........

Me: here my skidoo riding friend, hop on my sled

(falls off sled on first turn from trying to wrench it over so hard)

Skidoo riding friend: hey what shocks are those, they're awesome

Me: (giggling) it ain't the shocks man

Still happens even with 2016 XM riders. If that changes with the G4, I'll be convinced.

I've ridden XMs. Still can't stand that crap. Countersteering matters. And they don't do it without some really weird hand and shoulder motions. Works fine for jumping, banging whoops and not much else IMO.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Checkout the threads on oft racing turcotte post and c3 post forward kits both of those are doo style steering list and those threads have several people with good feedback in them.

How do you relate these to a "doo style" post? They both move the post forward almost more vertical. The doo post is more like the cat horizontal post we used to find on the 2012 1100t and some flat land sleds.

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I personally despise the lay down style Ski Doo steering.

I find it takes leverage away when countersteering (which is all the time in powder)

I noticed the 850 Ski Doo steering a little flatter, but not as flat as the Arctic Cat and Polaris setup.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
How do you relate these to a "doo style" post? They both move the post forward almost more vertical. The doo post is more like the cat horizontal post we used to find on the 2012 1100t and some flat land sleds.

Yes they do move it forward but they also convert it to a doo style direct steering. Just less drastic than you would find on the doo.

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
I just installed the oft post and 1 in forward kit on my 13 hcr the kit is clean and easy to install i have a couple of pictures of it on my 13 hcr build thread also the sled does feel more natural and comfortable now all I need is snow to test it

I
Sep 23, 2016
Im going to make my own post forward kit..but I can say that I rode my buddies 16 free ride 137 and I hated how you had to steer to boondock with it to be honest...I probably only had about 30 minutes on it, but even then I wasn't comfy at all trying to go through any trees and getting close to anything. Way different..i hope my sled isn't like that lol

On a side note the suspension on that free ride is the best thing ive ever experienced in the bump department

Tyshu2

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2016
I did OFT Turcotte post forward block and love it. Fought the vertical steering on my 16 m8000. I'm 6'5" and over the engine post is just enough forward with OFT that the difference is amazing. My advice is go and ride and try it out. Everyone is different for what they are used to.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
any more updates on making this switch?

i spent a day on an xm, and right away noticed that it had no steering slop. it made me wonder if the tennis elbow i've developed over the course of the season might be due to my sloppy bars, and the fact that they feel too far back most of the time.

i found i could throw the doo around for the most part, but had trouble making it turn around if i was pointed down hill. not sure if this is my lack of riding time on the doo, a trait of the doo, or a trait of the laydown steering in general?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Been happy with it. Made it through an entire season and the steering is still as tight as the day I installed it. Once I got used to It i can definitely ride it in the techy just as well as I could ride a vertical post. I can jump back and forth to a stock cat and ride either just fine the difference isn't huge but it is better.

I always hated how doos handled and blamed the steering after spending a season on the cat with lay down post I feel the issues with ski doo are related to wider track, flex track, t motion, and torsion springs more than the steering.

I
Sep 23, 2016
I never ended up doing a post forward kit, just did some cfr bars and a xf 8000 over the engine post, I love it. My steering has some slop but I banged some trees this yr pretty good. Ill be replacing hiem joints next fall

Premium Features