• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'15 PC vs XM, Pro, and my '14 findings

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
This Year I bought a XM and Pro to compare to see what I wanted to do.

The XM is a great trail sled other than the sp shocks suck compared to the cat floats which isn't saying a lot but the difference is pretty big. Road it a few times, works great for what it is. the steering is twitchy, skis bite, your always flipping the bars around to keep it going where you want unless the snow conditions are 2' of fresh. but then again any sled feels great with those conditions. If there is no base, its a trencher where the pro and cat will jump on top. when there is a base, hooks hard. Its almost to flippy floppy. Great sled just wont do what I need for my riding style.

Pro, Still the best all around for my riding style. seriously needs a powerclaw though. The shocks and spring suck, to stiff for technical riding and bottom out on small quick hits (trail mainly) unless you make them so stiff its a brick. Makes the sled harder to get on edge and once it breaks over it wants to fall over. It holds steeper sidehills far better than the others with less effort. It flies through the air the best and most consistent of jumps, just don't land in a hole. Feels the lightest and most forgiving of the three stockers.
Its become the favorite of the 5 rookies I've been teaching to ride. The terrain dominator is a little better than the reg pro but I think some raptors a 2.6 powerclaw and good clutching this sled would be hard to beat.
Seriously needs a powder coated tunnel, WFT poo.

PC, Good everywhere but not the best everywhere. The panel out issues continue, lack of steering etc... for extreme backcountry just blows my mind. Again in 2' with a base its going to shine, with the track and power they are hard to beat but in any other condition the panel issue is a sure way to roll down a hill or get stuck.

My '14 , I didn't realize how good I had it until yesterday I rode a stock '15. I'm speechless (nearly, lol)
So for those of you that want something that will just flat kill the above with ease and take your riding level to another level this is what I have done and suggest in this order.

A lightweight can is a given, diamond S quite can is my preference.

1. Add steering and narrow the freaking boards and panels (even beginners notice the diff they just don't know whats different). That alone is a big step but still take effort.
(depending on your preference, I suggest lower bars)

2. Lightweight hood. Something about those 12lbs up hi is mind boggling how much different the sled responds, the shocks work better, the sled transitions on its side easily. I can't even explain it. These 4 mods and if you jump from a stock sled to this setup you will never ride stock again.

3. The other stuff I've done is optional on money and some comes on the '16 so your call.

3" PC with 8 tooth drivers
13 skid location
TKI belt drive Geared up to 2.42 ratio
make sure clutching works, secondary machined by MVMS from Cody, WY
911 clutch cover
MDS weights speedworx 122-310 h5 spring with 3 glide washers under it, depends on elevation.
No engine mods

If your ever around CO hit me up and I'll let you ride it, I'm still baffled after riding that '15 PC of the difference and how much harder it was to handle and how limited its capabilities where compared to this setup.

I think on all the new sleds its all about rider style no one is better than the other until it comes to that. I've had fun no matter which one I ride. I'll be updating to the '16 PC and add most of the same mods maybe a turbo, with the 3" I'm in need of a Kmod again, and also update to the new '16 pro. Will be fun comparing the 2.

3" side effects = easy u-turns

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

video.php

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
I see your running your skid In the 13 position. what can a person expect to see going from the 14 position

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I see by your post time that you were up and not sleeping again lol. What was your truck doing at Cat so early this AM?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Great information. Appreciate you sharing. Couldn't agree more with the XM comments...fine sled in untracked snow but very skittish in a lot of conditions. Each to his own I guess.

A couple questions if you care to answer - How much narrower did you end up with the new boards/sucked in panels? What lightweight hood did you go with?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
having nearly the same sleds as you, i agree with about everything stated....i made my 14 8000 lighter (48 lbs), didn't mess with steering or narrowing it up,
my own clutching, changed skiis, new driveline and bearings...after riding compared to poo and xm, preferred the cat overall...better shocks and an engine would have leaned me into the poo, if it had a track, but it's a good sled, the bad points outweigh the good however; you called the xm right on as far as good and bad points, haven't had a chance to ride a t-3 yet....i'd buy a 16 cat as first choice, especially with the additions for next year, but with my 14 modded the way it is, i'd have to start all over again, so i'll ride the 14 another year, besides, i didn't get nearly as many miles as i would have liked this year (snow)..:face-icon-small-sad

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
13 skid location, quicker to turn on its side, more flickable:face-icon-small-con (but slightly unpredictable vs the 14, I like it for what I do), a little more ski lift and a tiny bit more track on the ground.

Width stock 33" now under 30"

Looking forward to comparing the new Pro and Cat limited sleds :face-icon-small-hap

J

JDUB39

Dec 4, 2012
Broomfield, CO
Great write up!!

Thanks for the information. I have a 15' SP, going to be getting new running boards before the end of the season.

When you say lightweight hood, did you do a custom setup or buy a BDX...?

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
What are you doing for a gauge? Looks like something on top of your hood but it don't look like the Cat Gauge.

G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
WYO, you find a big improvement of the 2014M over your '12?

I still have a 2012 M800 with 38" front, 2" narrower plastic/B&M boards, and kmod/raptors, 2.5CE. Belt issues fixed. I like it but its heavy and still washes out a lot.

I'm perplexed to either get a 2016 Poo Pro or Proclimb LE or keep my 2012 and put it on a diet - Mountain Fit hood and a TKI drive. I have the WHOLE summer to torture myself. Ha.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The difference from the 12 to 14 is track, skid location, 38" front, clutches sucked on both my 12 ran like a champ just smoked belts the 14 couldn't hold rpm so that's a wash. Short cooler, powder coat. The cooler and powder coat are pretty big to me.

No matter what year cat it needs steering, narrowed etc... IMO

3" track is a must for me after having it but holy chit it can also make it harder to ride because in a sidehill you have to really be careful for it to wheelie and take you up hill. KMOD is a fix

Premium Features