• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

($180x2/288miles=$1.25mile)

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
So does anyone know who is making these "out of spec" clutches? My understanding is that Team is making the secondary but no one can tell me who makes the primary.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i was looking at my secondary the other day on my '13 and noticed the stationary sheave was marked aug/12 and the moveable was sept /12. wonder if that was just cause of the bushing change or what was up with that.

B

BoxStock

Mar 25, 2008
Another thing to check is your rail tips. They are wearing fast and a friend of mine was blowing belts and it was the rails (tips gone) pressing into the track when in powder. By the time we caught the problem the track was bad. Dealer had two other 13's with tracks gone with low miles. I checked mine at 150 miles and tips were almost gone when I did my update. I think I will be moving mine to top back hole and adding rear bracket, might keep it from wheelieing on steep climbs too.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Another thing to check is your rail tips. They are wearing fast and a friend of mine was blowing belts and it was the rails (tips gone) pressing into the track when in powder. By the time we caught the problem the track was bad. Dealer had two other 13's with tracks gone with low miles. I checked mine at 150 miles and tips were almost gone when I did my update. I think I will be moving mine to top back hole and adding rear bracket, might keep it from wheelieing on steep climbs too.

Get a 2.25" powerclaw....won't wheelie so bad then. :face-icon-small-win

S

sledrider

Nov 26, 2007
Wherever the snow is
So far what I have learned.

I am paying too much for belts and will go after market.

I had already done/tried all of the cleaning and alignment tips.

I just installed the 20t (and SLP) Have not rode yet to see if the gearing will help.

Interesting topic on out of spec clutches. Wife has same Sled same set up no issues yet. I wll swap out secondary with her tonight to see if issues moves to her sled. (don't tell her:face-icon-small-win)

Hope I don't have to send clutches away to be balanced (or buy Team)

It is not the rail tips have had anti stabs on since day one,

Off topic reduce your rear shock pressure if you are having a wheeling problems

Last edited:
H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT

I just installed the 20t (and SLP) Have not rode yet to see if the gearing will help.

Interesting topic on out of spec clutches. Wife has same Sled same set up no issues yet. I wll swap out secondary with her to night to see if issues moves to her sled. (don't tell her:face-icon-small-win)

Hope I don't have to send clutches away to be balanced (or by Team)

What Eric does is more then balence the secondary he machines the faces of them as some were way out of wack!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Interesting topic on out of spec clutches. Wife has same Sled same set up no issues yet. I wll swap out secondary with her to night to see if issues moves to her sled. (don't tell her:face-icon-small-win)

Hope I don't have to send clutches away to be balanced (or by Team)

Other way around. Reduce center shock pressure, or increase rear shock pressure if you're standing up too much.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
i cut open a plastic gnc bottle, molded it will some heat, and made a cover for my disc brake so the mist dosen't fly off the disc onto the sec. it dropped my sec clutch temps by 40 deg

S
Nov 22, 2009
I have a 13 m8 153 le
First ride great lol.
Second ride I blew a chain At 60 miles. Top gear was way out.
3rd ride blew the stock belt. Belt wear said the driven has to go In. Clutch tool said I needed to add 90 tho shim.
Now at 156 miles an 3 belts blown.
2 belts tore and the other exploded. Allinment is perfect.
I'm at a loss for words. I cannot afford to ride my sled.
Im Seriously going to look at how I can return this pile to arctic cat.
My sled has to be a lemon.
What do I do?

Last edited:

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
I have a 13 m8 153 le
First ride great lol.
Second ride I blew a chain At 60 miles. Top gear was way out.
3rd ride blew the stock belt. Belt wear said the driven has to go In. Clutch tool said I needed to add 90 tho shim.
Now at 156 miles an 3 belts blown.
2 belts tore and the other exploded. Allinment is perfect.
I'm at a loss for words. I cannot afford to ride my sled.
Im Seriously going to look at how I can return this pile to arctic cat.
My sled has to be a lemon.
What do I do?

What do you mean by tore belt?

Is your sled stock?

Contact Arctic Cat and/or your dealer and get it resolved. Just make sure you take it to a dealer that knows what they are doing.

S
Nov 22, 2009
I broke a 084 in 30 miles. No wide open pulls. Just burpin the sled trying to break it in. I'm really pissed because only I know how easy I was being on it.
Also my motor and secondary wobble around in there something fierce.
I think the issue is movement.
This is my 3rd proclimb and sorry to say I'm done. Too many days have I say at the trailer with a pile of broken belts watching all my buddies ride. If I keep doin this it makes me a Complete idiot.
I no longer bleed green.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ur dealer should fix it for you man. If its motor mounts and brand new clutches it should be all warrenty. I've got over 1000 boosted miles on my 12 PC 8 and some retarded deep WOT days and I've only ever smoked one belt when the jack shaft nut came off. I got the new align bar and I'm curious to see where mine is cuz it has always had two spacers behind secondary. If its not the correct 1.45 or (what ever that new bar) is I'm still not gunna move it. Just want it to compare an post up on here for others.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
this sucks, snostruck is one of my riding buddys and he now knows how i felt last year.

im starting to think parallelism. could the points where the jackshaft are bolted to the chassis and the points where the motor bolts to the chassis be the issue?

a big square on the back of the primary then looking at it roughly at the jack shaft might tell a story?

my 12 HCR has new primary, mds weights, team secondary, new bearings on the jack shaft both sides, new case half's for the chain case new bearing on the drive shaft. new chain new sprockets. EVERYTHING is new on my sled from the motor to the drive shaft. 1000$ in clutching parts. im at right around 100 miles on this most resent belt, i made the mistake of thinking arctic cat might have fixed there secondary so i was running it, and seeing if i still have an issue well its still the hotter of the two clutches.. me and snostruck have bought 8 sleds between us in the last 4 years we ride every weekend. we watch as proclimbs right next to us make it several rides with half the issues, his last sled made had lots of issues but still went twice as far on a belt. i can not tell you how frustrating it is to here SORRY WE WONT WARRANTY THAT BELT, 180$ PLEASE.. KISS MY FN *** i WILL NOT PAY for another belt PERIOD. if my sled still has an issue (still not sure as we are having the worst snow year in a LONG time.) i will be calling cat corporate telling them my story and asking them how much they really value a customer that bleeds green.

he already brought it to two different dealers, they wont warranty belts for him.

last dealer pretty much de tuned him, by putting a 36 helix on there. but it still blew.

what is sad as we were talking we both agreed we would be content at 150 miles a belt.... but we cant even get that!!!!

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I ride with MTNVALLEYMOTORSPORTS, their setup is working.

The belt wears flatter than I've ever seen
I can't smell the belt ever.
the shift is smooth
the heat is way down.
The current sled has had many different ppl trying to blow the belt but most importantly those of us that ride the hardest havent blown it. i think the sled has over 500miles on the original belt with no venting.

IMO, changing the angle on the sheaves is the single most important part of it and then they used a softer secondary spring and lighter weights. I'm not sold on the regearing but everyone else seems to be, and it seems there is no change in top speed with the gearing they are using anyway.

S
Nov 22, 2009
Just dropped it at the shop again.
They have no clue what to do.
Pretty much told me to call arctic cat.
I don't want to throw money at the sled and hope it works.
I'm looking at it this way: It's broken and unless they have changed a part or found a problem I will not take it back.
I will spend money on lawyers befor I spend another cent on belts.
52k on sleds in 3 years is one thing. 800 in one weekend on belts is another.

Premium Features