• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 HCR, is this a stator issue, or something more???

RyanD121

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2011
Grand Junction, CO
First day I had the sled out this year, we rode for about 30min, when I stopped on the trail to wait for my brother, my sled slowly sputtered out and died. I pulled the rope about 6 times or so, and it didn't act like it wanted to start at all, but then finally restarted and ran fine the rest of the day. The next time I rode, same thing, about 30 minutes in, I stopped to adjust my goggles and the sled sputtered down and died. The snow was pretty deep, often over the hood, but the rest of the day it ran fine. The next day was a different story. Same thing again, early into the ride the sled died, but ran good for about an hour, then it started running really bad, like it was missing, and I could only get about 5500 rpm out of it. I tried feathering the throttle to clear it up, but the rpm's kept dropping until it finally sputtered out and died. We took the hood off and looked for anything obvious, but didn't see anything. We put the hood back on and put some dielectric grease on the flat plug for the hood, and after that, it ran awesome for about 4 hours or so. On the way back to the truck, it did the same thing again, engine cutting out, not getting any rpm's, and slowly sputtered out and died. It did this 3 times. I started looking at it maybe being something wrong with the safety lanyard, so I disconnected it at the two-prong plug and it ran fine till I got back to the truck.

I got the sled home, and thinking it could possibly be an electrical problem, I took apart EVERY plug I could get my hands on and put dielectric grease on them and then reassembled. I had my bro take my sled up today, and he rode it around for about 20 minutes or so without any issue. While unloading the sled at my house, I noticed that one of the headlight bulbs is burnt out. It will work on high beam, but not on low. I went to fire the sled up about an hour after he dropped it off, and on the first pull on the rope, it backfired, then started on the second pull.

So here's where I'm at now. I have no clue what else to look for, and the whole time all of this has happened, it never once flashed a code. Could this be the stator going out, or should I be looking at something else? Thank you so much for any help, and sorry for the long post!

D
Oct 9, 2012
I have the same thing happening to my proclimb. It's at the dealer for the week. They are going to put a new wiring harness in it. I will let you know of this solves the problem.

RyanD121

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2011
Grand Junction, CO
I rode today after draining fuel, adding AC fuel de-icer to the fresh gas, and replacing spark plugs, and the sled ran like new, so I'm guessing I had some bad gas, but the plugs were pretty black also.

Premium Features