• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
OUCH!!

You're going to be an old pro at this. Don't worry though, when I put my TS front end on my sled I did the same kind of mistakes.

But, the good news is: My first install took almost a day to do, the third time I did it only took me 20 minutes. :face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am SOOO frikin angry right now.

This explains why I had such a HUGE problem getting the hoses routed to the thermostat and why the return hose to the tunnel radiator seemed do long.

This is just inexcusable newbie ignorance on my part.

The MPI Installation manual assumes there is a basic familiarity with the engine in general and didn't go into any real detail on this. I looked at the photos and did my best to make sense of it.

If I had taken the time to go back to PART 1 of this post, I would have looked at my own tear down photos and CLEARLY SEEN the missing hose that I failed to re-install.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I am SOOO frikin angry right now.

This explains why I had such a HUGE problem getting the hoses routed to the thermostat and why the return hose to the tunnel radiator seemed do long.

This is just inexcusable newbie ignorance on my part.

The MPI Installation manual assumes there is a basic familiarity with the engine in general and didn't go into any real detail on this. I looked at the photos and did my best to make sense of it.

If I had taken the time to go back to PART 1 of this post, I would have looked at my own tear down photos and CLEARLY SEEN the missing hose that I failed to re-install.

What hose wasn't hooked back up? Im confused. I installed MPI coolers. Im not running my radiator, but have no clue how the hoses run. Guess i probably will be starting over as well

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There are two hoses that come forward from the tunnel cooler.
And upper and a lower.

I connected the upper to the thermostat!
That was the hose that connects to the Radiator.
And a different hose that go across the back of the engine, connecting to the far side of the radiator, should have gone into that port on the thermostat.

I plumbed it so there would be NO radiator!
Just being ignorant

Now I am trying to see if there is ANY way to remove and reattach those hoses without actually unbolting the supercharger itself and removing everything I have installed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
These two photos show my error.

picture.php

I failed to replace this long hose, and instead connected the hose above to the thermostat in it's place

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Supercharger Gods have smiled on me!
I was able to force my big hands down in back of the supercharger and disconnect that hose and get it re-routed properly!!

BOO YAA BABY!!

LIFE IS GOOD once again.

Will need to make a quick trip to get a new piece of radiator hose in the AM, and I am back on track!!!

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I was able to force my big hands down in back of the supercharger and disconnect that hose and get it re-routed properly!!

BOO YAA BABY!!

LIFE IS GOOD once again.

Will need to make a quick trip to get a new piece of radiator hose in the AM, and I am back on track!!!

Nice! Will you have pic's of the fix.... Im a slow learner.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY

BOO YAA BABY!!

LIFE IS GOOD once again.

AWESOME!! Now get back to work. :face-icon-small-win

PICS, PICS, PICS

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So.
This photo is looking straight down on the supercharger and the thermostat housing that sits just below it and to the rear, its just beneath the little green wire.

The hose you see coming off of it is the CORRECT hose the goes up and across the engine to connect on the far side of the radiator.

Previously I had run the hose from the tunnel cooler to this port.

picture.php

picture.php

The long hose is the one I FAILED to re-install and only discovered a couple hours ago.

Notice the disconnected pipe in the bottom right corner.
Thats where the hose will come from that connects to the opposite side of the radiator. I trimmed that hose to fit better just the other day. Obviously there was NO need to trim that hose as it was not supposed to mate up with the thermostat to begin with. My new shorter hose doesn't reach the radiator, so I will buy a new hose tomorrow.

picture.php

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
No biggy, your more than half way there right,,,just think POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POWPOW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POWPOW POW POW POW POW POW POW POWPOW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POWPOW POW POW POW:face-icon-small-win:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky: Dont ask me who Becky is??? it just did that when I publish it, lol

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
So.
This photo is looking straight down on the supercharger and the thermostat housing that sits just below it and to the rear, its just beneath the little green wire.

The hose you see coming off of it is the CORRECT hose the goes up and across the engine to connect on the far side of the radiator.

Previously I had run the hose from the tunnel cooler to this port.

picture.php

picture.php

The long hose is the one I FAILED to re-install and only discovered a couple hours ago.

Notice the disconnected pipe in the bottom right corner.
Thats where the hose will come from that connects to the opposite side of the radiator. I trimmed that hose to fit better just the other day. Obviously there was NO need to trim that hose as it was not supposed to mate up with the thermostat to begin with. My new shorter hose doesn't reach the radiator, so I will buy a new hose tomorrow.

picture.php

Got it. Thanks Chris.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT

BOO YAA BABY!!

LIFE IS GOOD once again.

Did you need to remove the intercooler?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
NO!
I didn't have to remove anything but the fuel tank!

I am off to get a new "Radiator Return Hose" in a couple minutes.

Then I am BACK ON TRACK to getting this bad boy DONE!!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
103. Install the Brass Oil Vent Filter/Breather into the small 6mm vent hose on top of the valve cover (this hose originally connected to the air box). Zip tie into position onto the OEM fuel line as shown. See Figure 59.

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
104. Mount the Bypass / Blow-off valve to the Intercooler using the supplied O-ring and M6 socket head bolts. The valve’s large outlet points the right and the 2 small hose nipples point to the left.

105. Connect the lower port of the Bypass / Blow-off valve (brass nipple closest to the intercooler) to the 90 degree elbow on the LH side of the intercooler. The 3/16” rubber vacuum line will be about 6” long (Trim
extra hose coming from the 5 way throttle body tee you install earlier for this 6” line). Zip-tie both ends of the hose.

106. Connect the 3/16 rubber vacuum line between the throttle body Tee you installed earlier and the top port of the Bypass Valve. Use zip-ties. The hose should be ~18” long. See Figure 59B.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
107. Reinstall the seat and surrounding plastic.

I am skipping this step while I wait for a replacement hose to correct the mistake I made on plumbing the thermostat and the radiator. The new hose will arrive at the end of the week, and I will get this done then.

108. Locate the supercharger oil cooler. You will mount this to the front side of the radiator. The hoses will lead in and out on the Right Hand side of the radiator. Mount the oil cooler as low as possible and it must be centered. See Figure 60.

109. Use the long plastic cooler mounts to connect the oil cooler to the radiator. The head should be on the oil cooler side. It is important that the cooler be centered and PUSHED as low as possible so that the retaining clips do not interfere with the fan. Install the retaining washers on the backside. Pull the retainers tight and cut off the excess. BE SURE AND LEAVE 1 EXTRA RIDGE STICKING OUT OF THE RETAINER, or the retainer will slip. It is fine for the edge of the retainer to sit under the fan, but the post of the retainer MUST NOT hit the side of the fan. See Figures 61 & 62.

picture.php

picture.php

The oil cooler mounts with the special Zip Ties.
These are stronger/thicker than normal ties and have a large flat head on them
picture.php

If the head ends up in this position, the fan blade WILL spin freely.
picture.php

But if it ends up closer to this position, it will GRIND.
picture.php

When I tried to pass the Zip Tie through the pre-drilled holes in the oil cooler it wouldn't fit from either side.
picture.php

picture.php

Some minor drilling opened up both of the holes and allowed the Zip Ties to fit nicely.
picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features