• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which rev?

T
Jun 17, 2008
Cyle your a big fella , check what gearing is in it and get the helix number off the secondery and the spring color . this alone will help in getting you the best out of the sled for a guy your size .let me know and i can tell ya if your in the ball park or what to use instead .

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Cyle your a big fella , check what gearing is in it and get the helix number off the secondery and the spring color . this alone will help in getting you the best out of the sled for a guy your size .let me know and i can tell ya if your in the ball park or what to use instead .

That would be great. My last summit the clutching wasn't to good and yea it sure didn't get the full potential out of it. Heres a pic of the clutches, look purple to me?

My eyes hurt right now to much sorting of resistors.....sigh I hate school lol :(
9880dgb_20.jpeg

Last edited:
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Yep, I would replace the pistons.
Mine went at just over 3000 miles. The pistons looked like new with the machine marks on them a ride before. then the intake skirt went and the bottom end swallowed it... golf ball sized hole in the lower case.
In other words I had to install a brand new factory motor in it. and since I bought a new XP it is hasn't been ridden and is up for sale.

S
Dec 25, 2007
Seattle
the 07's are fine IF they have a new 08 engine in them which is the same engine in the Xp's whcih seem to be holding well...i blew my 07 800r at 500 miles but have put 1000 so far on my 08 engine...the issue was too tight of tolerances in the crank and no thermostat and they would cold seize...they loosened up the tolerance and now run great...but otherwise the 06 is the best because it has the good rings that dont flake out and the good HO motor...dependable, less HP than the 800r by like 10 or so..

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I'm curious why you haven't considered installing both a high rise seat and rider forward steering post on your King Kat? From what I've heard, the 900 Cat motors are very reliable. Ski-doo 800 motors don't have the best reputation for reliability and I'm saying that and I own a Ski-doo.

R

Reno Tom

Jun 16, 2009
06 rev I think is the best rev built.Dealer here can't sell the 1000 brand new for 3500.00

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well first of all, a forward steering post and a Boss seat would cost almost $1,000, and not yield near that in resale. I'm only spending $1,400 more to get this Rev. And that doesn't address a lot of the king cats problems. Like bulky feel, heavy, no reverse, carb, etc. I mean it was a great sled, and I would reccomend it to anyone needing something for the mountains on a small budget or learning to ride, but I want something funner to ride and that will leave me with more energy so I can ride even more. Part of the reason to was the King Cat had a lot of cosmedic problems. I was never to happy about the person I bought it from, I traveled a long ways and didn't get the whole scoop and ended up taking it because I drove so far, but the condition was a lot worse then the pictures and person lead me to believe. I just wanted to get rid of it.

And when I was doing many things on the Cat, I just didn't like the way a lot of it was setup compared to Doo. Flat out, I though a lot of the design was stupid. I know Rev's are a knightmare under the hood, but I know I will be much happier.

The Cat 900 is probably as good or better motor, but a lot more to a sled then that. I would have no problem with a Rev with a cat 900 in it....

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yep, I would replace the pistons.
Mine went at just over 3000 miles. The pistons looked like new with the machine marks on them a ride before. then the intake skirt went and the bottom end swallowed it... golf ball sized hole in the lower case.
In other words I had to install a brand new factory motor in it. and since I bought a new XP it is hasn't been ridden and is up for sale.

Dang, was hoping to not have to touch the motor, but I don't want to grenade it either. Do you think the rings should be replaced at the same time? They were suppose to be done not that long ago, but if i'm in there maybe a good idea dunno? I'm looking at probably $350 for pistons? Maybe I can work the price down a bit more to cover some of it.

Just how hard is replacing pistons? The most i've ever done to a engine is jet it, which sure isn't much.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Ok opinions, which sled? The engine of the 05 kinda scares me with that mileage So I phoned on a 07, 1300km, they will take $5,800. I know that is a complete steal. I am right in assuming that MOST 07's with engine problems had them before hitting this mileage? It seems like most were well under 1,000km if they were going to blow, or else went a while?

The 07 is pretty much stock, just has a can. Other then that, same sleds, 800, 151s. I think the 07 is a lot better deal for $800 more, as long as I don't have to worry about the engine. The guy also has documention of the dealer doing a full service, cleaning clutches, change belt, chaincase fluid, sparkplugs, clean carbs. Which is worth a bit to me, I mean I can do all that, but it takes some time.

Opinions?

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
800 or 1000

Weighing 290 i would assume the 800 is going to feel underpowered for you. i could be wrong but i have heard great things about the 1000 when a little time and effort is spent. just my .02. i myself at 200 would get the 1000.

K
I bought a 2004 Rev 800 last season and had all of the same concerns as you have right now. All the talk on here by guys who have had them blow up scared the crap out of me and I thought I did the wrong thing buying the sled. I took it to my mechanic and he said he hasn't heard of or experienced all these concerns that I told him I was hearing. He has one of the busiest sled and bike shops around here. I also went to bombardier and one of the guys there said he's been running nitrous on his 04 800 for the last 2 seasons and he has 4000 miles on his with no problems at all. Bottom line is every ride is going to have its problems and every rider will ride his sled differently. Somebody on here told me last year "quit worrying so much and just ride the Chit out of it"! Great advice.... I stopped thinking about all the potential problems(tried to anyway) and dam I love that sled. Thinking about it now...it is at about 2000 miles, OH Crap! What should I do? :eek:

I
Aug 28, 2008
cloquet,mn
im also surprised not more ppl voted for the 1000, if it has the updates (which it most likely will by now or it would of blown up) they are good sleds. and as far as being too heavy, im 6'0 and 205 and have no problem with it. i came off a 05 800 144 and the 1000 is way better. its heavier but the power is not even in the same league. i walked up hills the 800 couldnt make. plus because of the bad rep the 1000s get, you can pick them up dirt cheap. at your weight i would say the 800 is going to feel under powered

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I bought a 2004 Rev 800 last season and had all of the same concerns as you have right now. All the talk on here by guys who have had them blow up scared the crap out of me and I thought I did the wrong thing buying the sled. I took it to my mechanic and he said he hasn't heard of or experienced all these concerns that I told him I was hearing. He has one of the busiest sled and bike shops around here. I also went to bombardier and one of the guys there said he's been running nitrous on his 04 800 for the last 2 seasons and he has 4000 miles on his with no problems at all. Bottom line is every ride is going to have its problems and every rider will ride his sled differently. Somebody on here told me last year "quit worrying so much and just ride the Chit out of it"! Great advice.... I stopped thinking about all the potential problems(tried to anyway) and dam I love that sled. Thinking about it now...it is at about 2000 miles, OH Crap! What should I do? :eek:

Yea i'm leaning that way. I did lots of searching last night and it seems like maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of 07 engines had problems. I mean if you loose your bottom end at 4000 miles, how can you complain? I mean most of the ones that went seemed to be under 1000km. Some around 2000-2500km though.

My big concern is, i'm in school with a limited budget if I loose the motor, even on the first ride i'm done for the season, maybe next to. After 2 years I don't really care, I will have enough money to throw a engine in it. Just need 2 years or like 1500km or worry free riding, I hope :D

Buying the 07 this weekend, hoping for the best. It looks brand new.

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
im also surprised not more ppl voted for the 1000, if it has the updates (which it most likely will by now or it would of blown up) they are good sleds. and as far as being too heavy, im 6'0 and 205 and have no problem with it. i came off a 05 800 144 and the 1000 is way better. its heavier but the power is not even in the same league. i walked up hills the 800 couldnt make. plus because of the bad rep the 1000s get, you can pick them up dirt cheap. at your weight i would say the 800 is going to feel under powered

well looks like i may be "that guy" with a few different track length RT's. you can buy 1000's for as little as 3000!! there's a guy on doo talk (stiffler) who has a 144 track on his. it has to be an incredible boondocking sled! i guess if people shy away from them it is a great thing for the people that want them.:D

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I haven't completly wrote off a 1000. It's just not many for sale here, and they ain't cheap. The best a guy is willing to do for a 05 162" is $5,800 with about 900 miles. Any others are even more. I know the 1000's are worth quite a bit less, not going to pay more for one.

I think the perfect sled would be a 1000 162 or a 800 162. I will settle for a 800 151, but much perfer a 159 or 162. Not even looking at a 144", they might as well be called a short track. I really don't want to go back shorter, but ain't much around in my price range.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
the 07s are like playing russian roulette except the gun is fully loaded.

ive only seen a few that actually have respectable miles on them. if you find one with a good motor, clutching is a whole new story :(

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Randy at the old Doo dealer in Golden could make the 1000's go. Not sure whats going on, if someone else has bought the dealership or not.

the king cat rides like an applecart, even compared to a bagged out rev. ya they dont make quite the power but the chassis and 16 wide track makes up for it.

Pay now, or pay later. If you sled....your gonna pay! haha

Premium Features