• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which rev?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well I sold my King Cat, and now it's time to look for a new sled. I am really leaning towards a Rev, as after riding one last year briefly, they had a really nice stance even stock for me. My problem is, I don't know if i'm better off with a 800 or 1000?

I've had a 2003 ZX 800 151" and a 2004 King Cat with a 16x162 on it. I loved the power the king cat had, and the nice long track. The ZX was ok, but the extra power and track of the king was sure nice and I don't want to go back to any less. I know the rev 800 doesn't got the power the king cat had and wondering if it will feel like less of a sled? The king was pretty much stock. I just hated how low the seat was, and ape hanger handle bars so uncomfortable to ride.

The rev I rode was a 07 600 144 and just on the trail when the kitty broke down. I really liked the forward and up seat stance, and the stock bars were a decent height sitting or standing.

There is just not much out there in a 1000 162". Most seem to be 800 151". Basicly, I can get a 06 1000 162 with 900 miles, or a 07 800 151 with 600 miles for near same price, the 800 is a few hundred more. Both got a few mods but nothing much.

I am 6'4" 290lbs. I had no problem pulling the heavy king around, it was pretty tiring after a long day though.

Which do you think would be better for me? I am not big on highmarking, just like playing in the deep and a bit of climbing, but every ride I do more stuff.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Buy nthe 800. The 1000's suck.I have had them all and the 800 is way more fun. The 1000 would have been decent if it weighed what ski-doo said it was supposed to. I had an 05 1000 and it was the biggest piece of shoot I ever had. My 06 800 will eat their lunch. I did have one buddy who had the 1000 and it was the only one I ever seen run. He struggled with it in the tight stuff. I had to use the nos to beat him.
I would bet that my t-nytro is lighter than the 1000 ski-doo.
If you get a 07 800, get one that has a new motor in it. Mine blew up. I had a buddy that bought a used one with about 200 miles on it and it blew up after the warranty ran out since the sled sat around for a year without getting rode. The 07 is awesome if you don't have crank problems, but most people did. or will.

J

jcwatty

Mar 10, 2009
Richland,WA
Go with the 800 rev for sure!! The 1000 is heavy and bulky. There were some issues with the 07 tho, first year for the 800R. Not quite sure what the issues were but look into it.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I have an ZX summit and a Rev summit both 800s and the rev is waaaaaay better then the ZX. Floats better(even with shorter track) handles better, rides mougles better, carves easer. I'd look into an 06 X if I was you. If you want more power you can allways do a BB.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Wow i'm suprised not anyone said the 1000. I know they seemed to be finicky but when I rode with someone who had one last year they liked it, although I never did get a chance to try it out.

Guess I will just look for a 800, not many 1000's around anyways. Just hoping I can find a 159" or 162". I know the 07 motors are terrible because most ads say new motor and they don't have much for miles.

Next question, I really don't have the coin for a 07, or don't want to spend that much really if I don't have to. How many miles is to much for a stock motor? There is quite a few 04-06's with like 1500-2000 miles that I wouldn't mind having. I'm guessing if the compression is still good maybe just needs a top end refresh and good for quite a while more?

The only thing is i'm leaning towards an 07 because they are priced so much better. $1,000 more for a 07 with 700 miles over a 05 with like 2,000 miles.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well i'm pretty sure I found my new sled :D

05 Rev 800 151" 2100 miles, for $5000. Has Boyesen reeds, aftermarket head (still haven't found out what kind, but not a big deal), hyperlite secondary, MBRP can, running board stiffeners, riser, simmons skis, Rings replaced 2 years ago.

My only question is, how can I tell they did infact change the rings? I am not to familiar with engines. Also, for an aftermarket head the only thing I might need to do is mix a bit of race gas for precaution correct? And what kind of compression should I except? Like 130-140? Not sure if the head should change it?

I know basicly what to look for, but not to much as far as the engine and clutches go except for checking the compression, and the engagement RPM.

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
compression should be up around 150 on both holes

check for cracked reed boots

Guys run 14-1 compression on 91 octane in the hills. I wouldn't though.

First time you get into the Rev's seems like about 2000miles. top end, check the primary clutch bushings, give the chain a once over, theres one small suspension link in the rear that seems to wear as well.

I've got an 06 159 with a big bore for sale if interested.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
compression should be up around 150 on both holes

check for cracked reed boots

Guys run 14-1 compression on 91 octane in the hills. I wouldn't though.

First time you get into the Rev's seems like about 2000miles. top end, check the primary clutch bushings, give the chain a once over, theres one small suspension link in the rear that seems to wear as well.

I've got an 06 159 with a big bore for sale if interested.

I actually would much preferr a 159, but how much are you looking for? I am really hoping to stay around $5,000, it's already over my sled budget. But might be able to go a bit more.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
7k for mine.

Honeslty though the 05 is a good sled. pull one plug wire off and it will still be better than a king cat!

you cant run much past 2000 miles with out a top end though. i know lots of buddies that tried...

the ring locator pin tends to dissapear around then, ring goes for a walk and snags a port = game over.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
7k for mine.

Honeslty though the 05 is a good sled. pull one plug wire off and it will still be better than a king cat!

you cant run much past 2000 miles with out a top end though. i know lots of buddies that tried...

the ring locator pin tends to dissapear around then, ring goes for a walk and snags a port = game over.

Yea, out of my price range sadly. Honestly, for climbing I loved the king cat, it pulled HARD, I will be suprised if this rev will pull as hard. But I won't miss the low seat, no reverse, bulky feel, and the weight. It was a good sled, and cheap, but I know I will like the rev a lot more.

Well the seller said he changed the rings two years ago, and checked the crank and pistons and said they looked good. Now i'm not one to take just their word for it without some form of paperwork and/or physical evidence.

But if this was done should it be good for a while yet? I'm just really hoping to get two years with little money into maintaince. It will probably see 3 mountain trips a year and about 3 local rides, so maybe 800 miles in two years, if that. I know about chains all to well, had to tow my kitty out because of it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well I got the scoop on the head. It's a RKT, the seller says you normally jet down to 380 from 400 but only went to 390 to be on the safe side? Does this sound right?

Also about octane, is 93 or 94 safe? Can't remember, but where I always fill up has that. Is that high enough or should I be mixing a bit of race gas?

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
sounds like a good deal. i paid 5gs for the 04 last spring with only a few extras.

the 06 has 3000miles with 50shot of nos nothing touch. pushing the limits so the top end is goin under the knife

Well i'm pretty sure I found my new sled :D

05 Rev 800 151" 2100 miles, for $5000. Has Boyesen reeds, aftermarket head (still haven't found out what kind, but not a big deal), hyperlite secondary, MBRP can, running board stiffeners, riser, simmons skis, Rings replaced 2 years ago.

My only question is, how can I tell they did infact change the rings? I am not to familiar with engines. Also, for an aftermarket head the only thing I might need to do is mix a bit of race gas for precaution correct? And what kind of compression should I except? Like 130-140? Not sure if the head should change it?

I know basicly what to look for, but not to much as far as the engine and clutches go except for checking the compression, and the engagement RPM.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
sounds like a good deal. i paid 5gs for the 04 last spring with only a few extras.

the 06 has 3000miles with 50shot of nos nothing touch. pushing the limits so the top end is goin under the knife

Yea it is a good deal, he was asking $5,800 and that isn't all that bad of a price. Easily $1,000-$1,500 cheaper then last year for the exact same sled. But then again, people are only asking $6,800 for 07's with 800 miles. I am just scared of a 07, my buddy has one, like 400 miles on it and the engine is having big problems. It didn't like towing my kitty only took it like 2 miles on a groomed trail, and the rev wouldn't run, almost had to tow it out to....

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
Well I got the scoop on the head. It's a RKT, the seller says you normally jet down to 380 from 400 but only went to 390 to be on the safe side? Does this sound right?

Also about octane, is 93 or 94 safe? Can't remember, but where I always fill up has that. Is that high enough or should I be mixing a bit of race gas?

You may have to check the compresion and were you are going to ride with the rk head....I have one and at 3800 feet cold mine is 180ish per side....I ride mostly at 10000ish and run strait 91 and got almost 3000 on my motor tell the crank left...its in 07 :mad:

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
You may have to check the compresion and were you are going to ride with the rk head....I have one and at 3800 feet cold mine is 180ish per side....I ride mostly at 10000ish and run strait 91 and got almost 3000 on my motor tell the crank left...its in 07 :mad:

shouldn't you be checking on my car right now!!!!

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
shouldn't you be checking on my car right now!!!!

Thats when I hit the gym...i will check no worrys....well other then its most likly not finished...lol So the wife going to let you get into a new sled?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Yea I don't think I will pull any of the mods off, I want the extra bit of power as I know I am already going down in that point from my old sled. So i'm guessing I should be looking for near 180 then? I'm not quite that high elavation, but I can't see it varying to much. I think the main thing is that the cylinders are close, then it's probably normal?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
checking pistons is fine, but it doesnt guarantee anything. all my buddies with 05's and down that ran them past 2500miles or so lunched a motor. lots of other guys on here too.

Premium Features