• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guitars and Amps

Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
OK, my sis-in-law is getting my bro a guitar and amp for fathers day. He likes
metal, the late 80's-early 90's kind of stuff, his idols are Slash, Zakk Wylde... I told her to get him a Gibson flying V but I'm stumped on an amp. I was thinking the Marshall Haze. Any thoughs for a good amp?

B
Nov 26, 2007
budget?? SolidState, Tube, or Hybrid??

also - is he a new player or experienced?? does he play out or is he a bedroom player??

Last edited:
Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
Not sure on the solidState, tube, or hybrid. He''s good but just a garage player. He's not hitting the Whiskey-a-go-go on Saturday nights.

BTW- Budget??? $600-$700? I know some can go up to $3k or better.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure on the solidState, tube, or hybrid. He''s good but just a garage player. He's not hitting the Whiskey-a-go-go on Saturday nights.

BTW- Budget??? $600-$700? I know some can go up to $3k or better.

that budget will limit your options on Tube amps... especially on Marshalls... but another in that price range worth checkin out is the Fender Vintage Modified Deluxe... its a hybrid Tube/SolidState amp that has a ton of built in effects and packs a very nice 40W punch... which is enough to play small gigs in most venues... it produces phenomenal cleans but can get dirty with the best of 'em... if cash is a concern, seriously, look at the Marshall MG4 half stack, comes with a 4x12 cabinet and a 100w Solid State marshall head... i had one for a while but it was WAY to F-n loud for my basement and I'm more of a blues kinda guy so the tone didn't work for me like I wanted... but every now and then I'd dial that pig up and it was really nice... get 'em all day long at Guitar Center for ~$650... also, on the guitar, the Flying V gibby is nice but expensive, look at a Schecter, reasonable price and nice guitars...

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
that budget will limit your options on Tube amps... especially on Marshalls... but another in that price range worth checkin out is the Fender Vintage Modified Deluxe... its a hybrid Tube/SolidState amp that has a ton of built in effects and packs a very nice 40W punch... which is enough to play small gigs in most venues... it produces phenomenal cleans but can get dirty with the best of 'em... if cash is a concern, seriously, look at the Marshall MG4 half stack, comes with a 4x12 cabinet and a 100w Solid State marshall head... i had one for a while but it was WAY to F-n loud for my basement and I'm more of a blues kinda guy so the tone didn't work for me like I wanted... but every now and then I'd dial that pig up and it was really nice... get 'em all day long at Guitar Center for ~$650... also, on the guitar, the Flying V gibby is nice but expensive, look at a Schecter, reasonable price and nice guitars...

I have a Peavey Predator which was in it's day the cheapest US built strat copy out there. I also have a Schecter which was alot of guitar for the money. We'd all love a Paul Reed Smith but who has the cash. THe "V" is a cool guitar for the look but I can't hold onto it like I can the standard guitar shape.
My amp is a Peavery Studio Chorus 210 which was a cheaper amp in it's day. THe one thing I bought which makes me want to play more was a Korg Effects Processor. THey are lots of fun and make playing a little more interesting. Most amps have some built in effects but you can't beat a separate processor.

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
my bro is big into guitars. he spends just as much I do on sleds for his guitar hobby, but he is very good at it and enjoys it so i cant really give him crap about buying a 5,000 dollar guitar when I blow that on sled real quick. at least his stuff goes up in value a little bit.. I would go solid state for an ampilfire unless he is super serious. to get best performance out of a tube you have to retube it every so often and its kindy pricey. solid states are usually less money as well. My brother runs the top end marshall 1/2 stack with a tube amp, (the big ones you see at concerts) and plays it when he needs to go loud. it has been a very good amp. he also has a smaller peavy amp that plays loud enough to bother the neibhors, but it cost about an 1/16 of what the marshall was. He has several guitars. His nicer guitars are gibsons. he really likes those. He has had a few fenders. He said the low end fenders are good beginner/intermediate player but they wont hold out to years and years of use, he wore his out in about 7 years. The high end fenders are very nice though.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
A good source for amp parts, and electronic parts for guitars:

I buy parts for old electronics, and old radio's that I fix up for people from this outfit and have been a customer for many years w/no problems.
Antique Electronic Supply... but don't let the company name fool you.
http://tubesandmore.com/

If you are looking for tubes for any amp, this is a good source.

I work on vintage Hammond B-3 Organs w/Leslie speakers, and the power amp is much like a guitar amp, using 6550 or KT88 tubes as finals.

You can find a wealth of misc parts for amps, speakers, and guitars here.
I had a woman ask me one time if I could fix her husbands old Fender "apple flyer", as a surprise for him.
Had a hard time not guffawing in her face with that line. Yeah, I fixed it. Guitar stuff is easy to work on, but if a power transformer, or output transformer (tube amps) is cooked $$$ can get ugly.

Hope this helps someone.:beer;

Back in the early 60's (I was in my early 20's ;) ) when the electric guitar garage rock band thing was just getting going, I worked an after-hours job at a music store. Kids would try to use any kind of amp or speaker from something like a church P.A. system, and would bring in speakers and amps that had litterally been on fire from over use :eek: :cool: :p repaired. $100.00 transformers even that many years ago. LOL.

Last edited:
G

Gimpster

I have a Peavey Predator which was in it's day the cheapest US built strat copy out there. I also have a Schecter which was alot of guitar for the money. We'd all love a Paul Reed Smith but who has the cash. THe "V" is a cool guitar for the look but I can't hold onto it like I can the standard guitar shape.
My amp is a Peavery Studio Chorus 210 which was a cheaper amp in it's day. THe one thing I bought which makes me want to play more was a Korg Effects Processor. THey are lots of fun and make playing a little more interesting. Most amps have some built in effects but you can't beat a separate processor.

I keep my Ibanez Roadstar II at my shop and make noise out of an old Peavey Decade amp

FOF.jpg

----- Gimpster -----

Premium Features