• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 700 no tail light or brake light

11mudder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2016
Trying to figure out issue with no tail or brake light on a 03 700 rmk. All other lights work, including brake light on dash, bulb tests fine. I am seeing continuity between the brown and yellow at the connector under the seat and if I unplug the stator it goes away. Tested Yellow to Brown on stator and see .4 ohms, so that is out of range according to specs, so thinking possible issue there, but if that was the case wouldn't all lights be effected? Not seeing anything wiring wise yet going back to tail light, but need to dig more under the console. Thoughts on if it would be the stator or not since all lights but the back work? First time I have had a possible stator issue, so trying to make sure I am not replacing something that isn't the problem.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'm sure it wouldn't be stator related. Do you see continuity at the connector under the seat looking back to the tail light on the brown and yellow? Similarly on the brown to orange (brake light). It sounds like the brown wire may be open under the seat or at the tail light housing itself seeing as how neither brake or tail light work. Brown is the common ground for both lights.

Last edited:

11mudder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2016
Traced the wiring back from the plug under the seat and didn’t see any bare wires, connected bulb to the connector at the back of the seat and worked there. So looked at the pigtail from there to the light and still nothing bare. Ended up being inside of the small connector at the back of the seat. Took it apart and resoldered wires and all is good. Guess I should have worked back instead of forward to begin with! Figured since I saw continuity at the front plug that is was something forward of the tank, guess it was just the resistance in the stator.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Traced the wiring back from the plug under the seat and didn’t see any bare wires, connected bulb to the connector at the back of the seat and worked there. So looked at the pigtail from there to the light and still nothing bare. Ended up being inside of the small connector at the back of the seat. Took it apart and resoldered wires and all is good. Guess I should have worked back instead of forward to begin with! Figured since I saw continuity at the front plug that is was something forward of the tank, guess it was just the resistance in the stator.

Yes you were seeing the resistance of the lighting coil in the stator.

Premium Features