• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'16 M8000 Ypipe and can?

N
Hey guys I was debating doing a full SLP pipe mainly for the weight loss but the added power is a nice bonus. Key part for me is that SLP remains quiet compared to other exhausts. I did some digging around and am curious if a Diamond S TI Quiet can plus a D&D ypipe would be beneficial? The can itself claims half the power the SLP does at half the cost, plus it does not need a fuel controller or clutch kit. As for the Ypipe I have been told the stock 800HO ypipe is fairly restrictive compared to other manufacturers. Thanks for any input, brand new to cats! Switched from the lovely ol etec :whistle:

R
I thought that the 800 Y pipe was restricted also. Until I took it off. I ordered a Jaws pipe, took off the factory Y pipe and I measured ID, OD inside all of the flanges and internally and the Jaws Y pipe was only around 1-2millimeters bigger, that's it.
So Cat definitely did its job on fixing the Y pipe. The older Y pipes were quite restricted.
If you buy a pipe kit, you will get the Y pipe in most cases. They will be a matched set.
Before I bought the Jaws Big Shark, I purchased the Bikeman Y pipe. Of course a person looks at their claims of power and a person jumps all over it. I was skeptical, they claim big ponies. After I installed it, by my seats of the pants dyno, it defiantely made more midrange power, absolutely. But I wanted more on the top end, so had to go to Jaws. Jaws makes the biggest ponies out there..I like the SLP stuff, they know what they are doing, but not enough ponies, but good quality.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
From everything I've seen, a fuel controller is needed with an aftermarket y-pipe. You can get away with a can and no fuel controller but with a y-pipe a controller is needed. Is this correct?

N
Pure ponies isn't my goal, mainly looking for the weight loss and to keep it relatively quiet because they are after getting worse in the last year for tickets. Any power gain is just a added bonus, loss would be a obvious negative. After digging around a bit more I think I am just going to go Diamond S Quiet can to start, then later clutching and maybe full pipe/fuel controller.

R
I didn't run any fuel module with the Y pipe...
I had bought a D&D Y pipe for my 900 mod I built before I went to twin pipes and horrible workmanship and welding. I had to grind and reweld to make it fit.
Then it split of course and went in the garbage..

Last edited:
N
I didn't run any fuel module with the Y pipe...
I had bought a D&D Y pipe for my 900 mod I built before I went to twin pipes and horrible workmanship and welding. I had to grind and reweld to make it fit.
Then it split of course and went in the garbage..

That sounds reassuring. Checking out Speedshop inc now, they work with BDX on the prolites so if anything they must have parts for the 800HO dialed in. Looks like there is a purpose built quiet can that's 12lbs off stock but 7.5lbs above the titanium. Decisions decisions.

M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
I ran a D&D Y pipe with a diamond S quit can and it worked great on a 2015 m8000 with NO fuel controller put on just over 500 miles with out a problem. I also put a set of rage cage reeds in from boyseen. I ride from 3500ft to 7500ft.

N
I ran a D&D Y pipe with a diamond S quit can and it worked great on a 2015 m8000 with NO fuel controller put on just over 500 miles with out a problem. I also put a set of rage cage reeds in from boyseen. I ride from 3500ft to 7500ft.

Did you notice much improvement from this setup? Did you run one without the other? I am going with the SSI TI can, probably going to wait and do full TI pipe down the road as well.

Premium Features