• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

($180x2/288miles=$1.25mile)

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
The dealer found the sled was out of parrelelism, there is a spec the motor is supposed to be slightly cocked to compensate for tcl flex.

Remember last year when i posted a topic about parrelelism? Nobody could tell me an answer. This is supposedly one of the first sleds checked from a dealer.

No dealer could check mine last year and even now that they supposidly found his out, i now know there is a spec, and am seeking any info i can about checking parrelelism it just seems so logical that this could be why dome have issues and some dont!

-Aksnopro

I

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
seems dumb that with a solid link there should be no worry about parrallism. of course that isnt the case. the tcl must flex.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The dealer found the sled was out of parrelelism, there is a spec the motor is supposed to be slightly cocked to compensate for tcl flex.

Remember last year when i posted a topic about parrelelism? Nobody could tell me an answer. This is supposedly one of the first sleds checked from a dealer.

No dealer could check mine last year and even now that they supposidly found his out, i now know there is a spec, and am seeking any info i can about checking parrelelism it just seems so logical that this could be why dome have issues and some dont!

-Aksnopro

There is no provision for adjusting parallelism on F4 chassis (that I know of). It has been removed from the set up manual for these models and the 2013 service manual specifies this procedure for sleds with gearcase only. I don't see how you can adjust it with the motor and jackshaft bolted together.

Woody

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Lets just think about this for a second, what is really different between these and the old? Look at a K.Kat for example it had a badly out of line engine and primary clutch assy! Did it work, yes? Was it really efficient being that badly cocked, NO! Now this has gone back to a chaincase once again, really nothing different there. Basically says clutches are junk! Could there be some pulling between engine and secondary, maybe but not to the extent of it's predecessor. Is there really alot of resistance in the skid to the track? Meaning did they change the angle of the front of the skid to where the drivers are located? If it is a straight angle still, when under a lot of load the track is changing angle abruptly at the leading edge of the rails! Is this causing high wear? High wear means high load and maybe the belt is taking the brunt of the blow? If there is no give in the system with a torque plate mounted in between then something has to give! High wear on clutches, belt or chain assy etc.... I feel if Cat made the front of the skid have a nice arced radius then many of these problems would go away! They are the only company that has this piss pore design. Either that or some have the track looser and are not loading the system as heavily under high throttle loads and are seeing cooler belt temps? I'll bet Polaris and Skidoo under full throttle climbing have way less resistance in track motion than Cat due to the radius design when the front suspension is fully extended downwards? Just some things I have been thinking about since this problem has not gone entirely away! Could the clutch angles be off that much, could be with outsourcing to an inadequate facility? Take it for what it is, the stock gearing is geared down lower than ever before (2.34 to 1) and now going lower with a 20 tooth top sprocket, what does Polaris run 2.1:1? The load has to be higher if the clutches are making up for the geardown and the belt is seeing it! Would someone please either fully clip a track, or take all the clips off and see how long a belt will last? Just some thoughts. Thanks, and hopefully Cat will do something about the belts, and there design? Mike

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
there is a spec

the dealer said it took him 4 times resetting the motor to get it right. as he would tighten them it would move it out of spec he had to tighten them in a pattern a tiny bit at a time. he said it took him half a day for what for something that should have taken an hour.

its the first chassis to have a spec from what i understand at this point.

the motor is supposed to be slightly cocked to calculate for tcl flex.

the big difference is now you have the secondary moving and changing angles too before you only had to worry about the primary moving. before you had multiple sheave angles to compensate and grab when motor was twisting, now you have matched sheave angles.

theirs a lot different, if it wasn't for the different sheave angles i would have bolted the jack shaft down and cut the TCL in half already!!

-Aksnopro

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
100 miles in the dutch hills yesterday.long hard pulls and not a spec of belt dust.trying the 086 belt and it works great.might only work with the team do to deflection.mds weights and team have been the answer for this HCR.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Comparing the old vs new just doesn't work.

Just look at the track and HP difference, the more power and harder pull from the track requires much tighter tolerances.

I haven't heard anyone comment on the fact the '13 has the same clutch part numbers yet AC tightened the tolerances because of the failed '12

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Comparing the old vs new just doesn't work.

Just look at the track and HP difference, the more power and harder pull from the track requires much tighter tolerances.

I haven't heard anyone comment on the fact the '13 has the same clutch part numbers yet AC tightened the tolerances because of the failed '12

running the 2.5 extreme and slp set up.before my changes i was loosing a belt every 60 or so miles.just posting my results.

Premium Features