• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$2.99 piece of plastic??

My friend, catmanNOdoo, nicked a landmine at togwotee this monday, and cracked the little ear tab of the chaincase cover. Looking under the sled, we noticed cat has put a PLASTIC cover over the bottom of the MAGNESIUM chaincase...is this something commonly done on new sleds? wouldn't a metal cover or skid plate suffice? too bad he cant get a skid plate from cat! and what about the front or rear skid plate what one will protect better? Oh btw the plastic cover for the chaincase is 2.99 retail..

2011-12-10_10-38-15_9961.jpg

2011-12-10_10-38-42_16.jpg

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I think its very common, very few off highway vehicles come with enough protection, you wouldn't like the price if they did :face-icon-small-con

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
After they are done all testing and have a production package, I don't think I can see the engineers from any brand saying, "Okay, let's send the test riders into a mine field."

They could offer a Rubicon package. But it would be backordered at this time of year anyway.
Who needs accessories in Dec.?

Last edited:
C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Seems to have worked as designed to me. Took the hit, is really light, protected the expensive chaincase and only cost $3.

What other realistic solution is there for a mass produced sled? If it really is that big an issue custom design a new part and sell it on the market and make millions. Not.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Maybe it's not in the safety manual delivered with the sled but you are not supposed to hit rocks! Short of a 1/4" plate of T6061 from arms to drive shaft, it's never totally safe out there.
I known a group of crazies that have early-late season IFS sleds set up just this way.

Sorry, but it makes me chuckle when I remember all the hits I've seen and done. that smooth white surface is deceiving.

In some of the areas I ride it feels like I known ever rock and stump personally LOL. It helps to start riding the areas you will go to with only a foot of snow.
Then you have a good idea of when it is safe to "pin-it".

G
Nov 30, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
These plastics won't take a beating...... Plastic also on the brake disk side.

Here is what was left of the plastic after a rock on the brake disk side and what I am making that is hopefully better. Another day to let the carbon fiber dry and then trimming the edges to fit.

P1050095.JPG P1050096.jpg P1050093.JPG

Premium Features