• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problem with DESS

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Currently have issues on a 2017 850 Summit X 165 in which the wiring harness was replaced under warranty due to not being secured properly under the engine causing it to wear against the chassis. Dealer installed a new wiring harness and now the sled will only run if the right headlight is disconnected, with both headlight connected the DESS is unable to read the tether because of some RF interference, disconnect the right headlight and the DESS works as intended. This is all under warranty and SKI-Doo is aware of the issue but does not have a fix.

Not having a way to bypass the DESS system if needed is a huge problem for anyone riding in the back county and could potentially be life threatening if your sled is unable to run and you are separated from your riding group.

Switched to Ski-Doo back in 2008 and have snow checked new sleds every two years since but if this DESS problem is not fixed real SOON the two 2017 850 Summit X 165 sleds we snow checked will be my last Ski-Doos.

IMHO.......the DESS system is overly complex and a pain in the ass that detracts from an otherwise great sled.

Last edited:

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Had the same problem with my two sleds. Told my dealer about it and they gave me what they call a ferrite to install on the main harness. It is just a small magnet type thing that clicks over the wiring harness. It prevents electrical frequencies from effecting the key. They had them in stock and they were free of charge from Skidoo. I noticed all the 19 sleds come with them from the factory.
Hope this helps...
And I also agree that the dess thing is a pain and not necessary.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Tell that to the people that have had their cheap ignition system bypassed and kissed their fun time goodbye .

Find yourself a dealer that values your purchases .

I appologize for even replying to this thread .

Premium Features