• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New ford 7.3L Gas!

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Pretty cool new engine offering from ford for the super dutys, I have known about this engine for over a year and have patiently been waiting for its public release. This 445ci pushrod engine has a lot of potential. No power numbers released yet but they say it will be best in class power and a significant improvement over the 6.2.

powerstroke.jpg

Video talking about the new 7.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

New 2020 F-Series Super Duty improvements include new gas and diesel engines, an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission, chassis upgrades, exterior and interior design updates, and smart advanced technology that raises the bar again in towing, payload and connectivity.

All-new powertrains for improved performance and capability

An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 7.3-liter "445ci" pushrod V8 joins the standard 6.2-liter V8 in Super Duty’s gas engine stable. The Ford-designed and Ford-built third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel V8 is upgraded to deliver more power and torque. An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 10-speed heavy-duty TorqShift® automatic transmission is paired with the 7.3-liter V8 and third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8. Ford is the only manufacturer to design and build all of its heavy-duty engine and transmission combinations – ensuring the powertrain works seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations.

“With the addition of the 7.3-liter V8, upgrades to our 6.7-liter and the debut of an all-new 10-speed transmission, we are delivering the strongest, most capable Super Duty powertrain offerings yet,” said Mike Pruitt, Ford Super Duty chief engineer.

The 7.3-liter gas V8 engine delivers high performance in a compact package. Based on decades of commercial engine experience, this 7.3-liter is expected to be the most powerful gas V8 in its class – providing durability, ease of maintenance, and the towing and payload capability customers want. It uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable-valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads. Oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2FtNlfAbc2w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
And boost!!!! :)

Start watching that video at the 9min mark.. Compact narrower engine design, oil squirters under the pistons like the supercharged GT500s have, same high heat coatings the turbo engines use on piston/rings, same valves and seats as turbo engines,high flow heads, 4 bolt mains with 2 cross bolts.. This thing is beefy and is going to have extra room under the hood compared to the 6.2. I don't know if they will ever factory boost it but I think the aftermarket companys will have fun with this engine. It might be a popular crate engine as well because of its simplicity and size, that is why the chevy LS is a much more popular swap vs the huge ford DOHC modular engines. I for one am very happy to see ford building a single cam engine again.

Last edited:
C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
About time!

Ford hasn't had a good gas engine since the 460. I've bragged on the Ecoboost, but have since figured out it won't stand up to work, and is too hard/expensive to work on.

If had to buy now for work, we'd most likely buy Chevy pushrod.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
After having my DEF tank freeze for the second time this winter I am ready to move away from diesel. Kind of looking forward to this engine.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
After having my DEF tank freeze for the second time this winter I am ready to move away from diesel. Kind of looking forward to this engine.

What truck, and did the DEF heater fail, causing a CEL and throwing a code, and did the truck limp? Buddy's 6.7 heater failed in FL last year, truck didn't limp, but did throw a code.

DEF $ucks. Hope I can still get do a DEF delete after the GM warranty expires (keep the tank and plumbing, just fake it), but it looks less likely every year.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
What truck, and did the DEF heater fail, causing a CEL and throwing a code, and did the truck limp? Buddy's 6.7 heater failed in FL last year, truck didn't limp, but did throw a code.

DEF $ucks. Hope I can still get do a DEF delete after the GM warranty expires (keep the tank and plumbing, just fake it), but it looks less likely every year.

It is a Cummins 6.7, I did get the 150 miles to limp mode but it never went into limp mode. Both times the check engine light has went off the next day when it was time to take it to the dealer. My local dealer is unwilling to address the problem since it is not an active code when I am able to get the truck in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Maybe the dealer's not getting paid by Ram while in warranty to check non-active stored codes, that stinks. Try another dealer? Getting stranded with a limped truck on the open road due to a DEF malfunction is beyond PITA (EPA regs actually mandate the limp with the OEMs if regen can't happen due to DEF level or quality). We overpay for diesel trucks to get held hostage by the EPA while the big shots who make up this crap fly over us in private jets emitting more NOx than all the pickups ever made, all while they dump their frozen pee on our heads.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have always really liked the fact that Ford offered modern OHC engines in trucks. I have owned a 5.4 2v, 5.4 3V and have a 6.2 in my truck now. Every one of them has been a great engine. I do get the fewer moving parts argument for long term durability and ease of repair but why a freaking 10 speed auto then? I hate the current 10 speed in the light duty trucks, just way too busy shifting all the time. I think 6 speeds is perfect but I guess we are going away from that.

Great to see a big block gasser comeback though. I have no need for the expense of a diesel in a pick-up. Just the filters to service my buddies new Cummins cost over $400, the motor is almost a $10k hit up front, fuel costs more and the EPA ruined diesels for me over 10 years ago when they tried to make them as clean as a gasser.

Looking forward to POWER numbers!

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
I agree with everything said about the diesels. When they run, they truly are a fun. They are hardly practical anymore, even for business use let alone personal use. Hope this gasser is a hit!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What am I missing in the way of a reason that Ford isn't releasing power numbers? Are the other companies upgrading their gassers as well so they don't want to show their hand too soon? Or, are the numbers underwhelming on paper so they need people to drive them first to see if they like them?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I think it's the later - they know the numbers, and are trying to build excitement with durability, volumetric efficiency, fleet advantages, etc., and not let some mediocre hp/tq numbers cloud their story. Just more marketecture. All in good time. Market needs another good gasser. The new SRW non-commercial diesel pickup market has topped out or will soon, and they know it.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I believe that Ford has been pretty smart about not releasing the power numbers of the 7.3. Until they release those numbers there will be a ton of people speculating on what those numbers will be. You just can't buy advertising like that now days.
My speculation is that HP will be just under 450 and torque will be right around 500.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Saw this but I find it funny that Ford is taking a page out of GM's book here. Pushrod, big motor. Should be good for the consumer. GM has an all new 6.6 liter gas motor coming out this year. When you consider diesel is almost a $1 a gallon more and costs you about $9k more than a gas motor. Gas motors like these are going to be making a lot more sense for a lot of people.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Nice to see Ford FINALLY using under piston cooling jets. GM and others have been doing this for a long time. This should help with temps and definitely fuel economy. Worst design on the ecoboost was the failure to use this technology on them. Instead Ford increased fuel (DI onto the piston face) to cool them down.

Premium Features