• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GGB or HPS for summit 850?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I really want the HPS, but for $170 less you can pick up the GGB, which seems a lot of people are using. I know the Mountain can GGB is kind of loud, but I do like the sound.

I like the sound of the HPS on my old XP, and imagine it would be similar on the 850, not as loud as the GGB can.

HPS advertises a HP gain, I know many may not believe it but....I'm not sure I doubt it?

GGb advertises they test on a flow bench, just as HPS.

IS HPS worth the 400 bones vs 230 for the GGB?

Thanks

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I just put a Jaws "Race" on my 850. It is the middle quiet between "Rowdy" and "Trail". LOUDER THAN XXXX. Coming off after a two mile rip.
HPS seems to be the premium setup.
In 2016 I tried SSI (Loud and random bogs that almost sent me over the bars.) I then bought 3x GGB Trails for my 2016 rigs, they all worked well, no loss of power, no strange bogs. Rusted after a month, but cheap.
I am pulling the Jaws and running stock anchors, the sleds always seem to run best with them.
I can sell you the Jaws if you can deal with the noise? It is the $350 ceramic coated one. Can sell it much cheaper. ;)

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I prefer the HPS, their new coating looks new at the end of the season versus straight rust like so many others. They allow you to use the stock heat shield over the pipe to can transition if you would like. Definitely helps keep from melting plastic. Others alter the bend, making the use of the stock heat shield pretty hard.

I have friends that use the GGB super loud is putting it mildly.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
Strong vote for the HPS here also. Everything that is advertised is exactly true with my experience. 9lbs, not too loud, and maybe even a couple horse gain. I tested it on the same day with the same snow back to back on the same machine. Felt like a slight gain. Plus so many guys have problems with starting, idling, and burning out the heat sensor with other cans. I see it all the time, I'm a full time guide. Thunder Mountain Lodge

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
How’s the titanium Diamond S fit in the equation , ?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Don’t forget about the Dynoport big core barker. Definitely not as loud as the GGB mtn. Had the the HPS on my T3, it worked very well, not super loud.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Going with a jaws trail on mine, Have a GGB mountain still in the box if anyone is interested

Stimpy97c

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2014
I am using the Diamond S Ti can this year. Have a few hundred miles on it so far. No problems to note. I like the sound of it. It has a different tone I guess from how the Ti vibrates. It seems to be a lower more grumble like tone. Hard to explain in writing. I was also able to put the stock heat shield on the bend.

I have used the HPS in the past and ride with a couple 850's with them. I also like their sound and have experienced good performance. That would be my next option.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I have GGB on my ‘17 and HPS on my ‘19. HPS hands down. GGB fit and finish is decent but it’s stupid loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
HPS is great but can drone a bit around 6k. If you're deep enough that the exhaust port is covered you wont hear a thing. I only notice if I'm shooting up the road to Elk Lake Lodge for lunch. Trying to find a vid I have of my HPS in a turn pointing right at the camera.

EDIT: Short Clip of HPS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHPyREXWcmU

Last edited:
Premium Features