• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Track Vibration

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Trying figure out if track vibrations are just the nature of the beast with a 3.5 pitch or if I have an issue. Anything over 35 mph on trail has a significant vibration in the footboards and a lot of track noise on my sled. I know it is not a trail sled but I do a bit of it to get to the backcountry. Is everyone else experiencing the same thing? I dont have any snow at home so I have to wait a while to test but I am wondering if I need to make an adjustment or just get used to it?

I did hit the driveshaft on my first ride from the truck on an ice mound at the parking lot but it was not hard and I was going slow. Could I have possibly bent the shaft?

Last edited:
K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Maybe lift rear up and do a quick visual with track spinning if there is any obvious wobble on the drivers. Might not see it but if vibs are that bad u could see it. Otherwise might have to take shaft out and throw a dial indicator on and see forsure. Maybe look for bent anti stab wheels or maybe nubs on rail tips need to wear a bit. Just some suggestions

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Maybe lift rear up and do a quick visual with track spinning if there is any obvious wobble on the drivers. Might not see it but if vibs are that bad u could see it. Otherwise might have to take shaft out and throw a dial indicator on and see forsure. Maybe look for bent anti stab wheels or maybe nubs on rail tips need to wear a bit. Just some suggestions

I will try that. Haven't had a chance to run it on a stand. Need to do that today.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Track

Tighter track= noisier, when they’re loose like 2–2.5” natural sag they’re quiet. As soon as we tightened them up to about an 1-2” of sag with about 20# pull on them they were louder. Super smooth loose but didn’t want the turbo to derail it!

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Tighter track= noisier, when they’re loose like 2–2.5” natural sag they’re quiet. As soon as we tightened them up to about an 1-2” of sag with about 20# pull on them they were louder. Super smooth loose but didn’t want the turbo to derail it!
Ride an AXYS.... track is rubber band tight and LOUD... I run it twice spec to reduce harshness.

How's this track performing? Really interested in this sled... Keeping a close eye on how it performs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
One of my riding buddies had said that the Alpha has some vibration when on the trail. He is coming from a 16 ltd with a 162x3. Probably normal. I don't feel anything weird when riding it in deep snow.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I noticed a lot of vibration and track noise my first ride out. Definitely nothing bent. New to the Alpha but I asked the other guys I were with on them and they said yes there is a lot of noise. So I think it is just the nature of the beast. I would still look it over but if everything looks good you should be good. I do know these tracks stretch a lot in the first couple rides so want to make sure you tighten after. w

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
rode couple miles down road to get into our riding area this weekend. was smooth as butter. actually noted in my head that it went down the road much smoother than expected. also ripped it pretty good on way back to test my rpms...ran good/smooth. was surprised.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
First 200 miles mine seemed fine - track per manual 2” with 20lbs.
It did stretch a bit, so retightened to 1 1/4” this time. See if I notice any noises ruining it a tad tighter.

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the info everyone. I think i will tighten my track and see how it is. I noticed some rubber marks on the underside of the cooler so it must be ballooning. I still have not had a chance to check the driveshaft as I am waiting on my shocks to get back. Will these new lightweight shafts bend easily or are they pretty stout?

J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
I think if you had something bent you'd notice more than vibration. Imo these tracks are loud. Between the air they move and the snow packing under them and how tight they should be. Much louder than my 2.6 was.

S
Oct 29, 2013
The Kootenays
Check the chain tensioner! I had the same problem after a big hit, nothing bent or broken but bad vib coming through the passenger side footwell.
Turns out the tensioner tightened as far as it would go leaving no movement in the chain.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Another issue is ice can buildup on the bare aluminum track shaft and throw it out of balance a little. Aluminum conducts heat better, the clutch/brake side of the shaft is open to the engine compartment, and warm air can get inside the shaft (especially after you've stopped for a while). Snow sticks and starts building up when you get going again. Swapped one of the aluminum shafts with 8T drivers into my older sled and had it out this weekend with a new 162 3" PC track. Running the track with 1" of sag from the rail in free-hang. Also running a TKI drive so no chain case. First part of the ride out on the trail was quiet and no abnormal vibrations. After getting out of the deep snow and back on the trail to the truck I had picked up a vibration in the floorboards. Wasn't bad enough that I had to stop, but annoyingly noticeable.

Premium Features