• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 MC vs 2018 MC

H
Jan 8, 2013
Norway
Hi guys,
i have now a m8000 MC 2017 with rk tek 925, but wondering to buy a new sled for next year, so wondering how the year 18 MC is compared to year 17 MC?

Is it worth the money to buy a new one? big difference? :face-icon-small-coo

R
Feb 29, 2016
"worth the money" That is the big question. 17 comes with a long proven engine. This engine has been the single biggest reason to buy a Cat mtn sled since 2010 for sure. The 18 comes with a clone with a new fuel system. Should be fine but first year, you never know. 18 gets better body panels, better clutch, the new motor and gets narrowed running boards and dropped chain case across the M line-up.

I would like an 18 but I do not want to pay the $14k+ it takes today. I didn't sno check because Cat never clarified what was coming or not coming on the new MC. I see 17s for $10k and that is making me want to go for one.

You already have the 17 and obviously dumped a ton of cash into the project with the 925. I would let others ride the 18s for next season and see if the Cat durability is intact. I am having a bunch of first year issues with a 16 Axys and Doo is having issues with the 850s. It could bite Cat too...

That said, if the money was no issue I would ride a brand new sled every year, maybe two of them...

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
new or not

The 18 is a capable sled, I rode the ER for 2 days and liked it alot. It is easier to ride than my 16 ltd and at the end of the day I was not near as tired. I have not rode a 17 MC but would expect it to be very similar to the 18. The production models are to get light weight shafts, jack and drive, along with an LED light. 17 pounds lighter over all but only 12 lighter than your 17 MC. You could buy the shafts and light if weight is a concern. It will be a first year model and anything can happen, there has been no indication of issues but you never know. Personally if I was buying a sled for next season I would buy one without hesitation. Will it hang with your 925 not if its working right, if your happy with your 17 i would ride it one more year and see what 19 brings. AC has a financial backing now and will be moving forward as a company, I am sure there are many new things around the corner.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The big gains in my mind from a 2017 MC to a 2018 MC are the primary clutch, shock package, and the new body work. The panels are so much sleeker and easier to access on the new sleds. You already have the narrow running boards and dropped driveshaft so that isn't going to gain you much. If I had a 2017 MC I would put the new primary clutch on, have the shocks re-valved, and ride it for another year to make sure the new motor and fuel system has all the bugs worked out.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
All depends on your finances and how much $$ you're willing to lose to have the newest, latest and greatest. I've pretty much had a new sled every year for the last 10 years. Sledding is really the only thing I do other than work so I'm willing to throw $$ at it. I love sledding and working on the new stuff. Personally I'd keep the 925 and buy an 18' and pump gas turbo it. Have the best of both worlds in your trailer.

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
17 MC 925 with 18 primary

Madmax X2 that would be sweet.
I was in the same situation but, have the 16 LTD with a 925. Love the torque and engine never let me down (now in the swap meet). Bought the ER for the wife and was sold, this sled is just more maneuverable. The clutching and engine is amazing. BUT, if I had the 17 with the drop case and 925. I would keep it one more year and install the 18 primary.:juggle: I ordered a new MC. I’m going to try and keep it stock. An 18 with a big bore or turbo will be game changers.

Premium Features