• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 174 sidekick clutching issue.

S
Mar 29, 2016
Auburn CA.
Working on the shops 174 turbo. 5lbs of boost. Ridding 6k-10k ft. Has BD recommended clutching. Almond spring and 68g weights. Problem is. It had like a stutter, or chatter per say at low speeds. (like a bad belt) And it kinda "snaps" (grabs hard) when it first engages. I called BD about it and they said my main spring was bad. It does have a little wear on it. But it's just so hard to Beleave that a brand new clutch set up with less than 200miles ruined a main spring. Any opinions? Should I order a new spring. Thoughts about going to to a little softer/harder main spring.

Also: Checked the rollers and weights. No issues.

1486169278086-1182374912.jpg 14861692990371971265681.jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I've heard others comment the spring is binding causing some inconsistent running issues.

Crazyj700

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2012
I don't think the spring is your problem. I've broke five springs in my primary clutch in the last 1600 miles. When they break I usually couldn't even tell. I found all of them broke without any symptoms other than down on peak rpm a little, and a little lazy on the bottom end. Sounds more like a belt deflection issue or wrong belt.

2017 axys side kick 163x3"

S
Mar 29, 2016
Auburn CA.
We put a new belt on tonight. Didn't see any burn marks but like the whole belt was glazed over. Thinking they didn't let the belt brake in. New belt and I ran it while it was lifted to watch the primary and see when/how it engaged. Should have done that to start for a comparison. Seems to be okay now with a belt. Have to see how it rides Sunday and decide If I want to play with the clutching or not.

Crazyj700

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2012
We put a new belt on tonight. Didn't see any burn marks but like the whole belt was glazed over. Thinking they didn't let the belt brake in. New belt and I ran it while it was lifted to watch the primary and see when/how it engaged. Should have done that to start for a comparison. Seems to be okay now with a belt. Have to see how it rides Sunday and decide If I want to play with the clutching or not.

Make sure the new belt deflection is set to spec

Premium Features