• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good dedicated snow and ice tire for a diesel pickup?

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I have a 2015 diesel crew. I have 285/55R20 and need a set of tires. I figured it might be nice to try out a set of snow and ice rated tires for the winter and then go back to my regular A/T tires in the spring.

Just wondering if any of you have a particular brand that has worked well.

Studded tires would be great, but they are not legal to use here in MN no matter what time of year. Seems pretty silly, but Michigan has the same law.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've had great luck with Goodyear Duratracs. The only thing I don't like is how they fling **** all over the place (I live on a gravel road) and they're quite noisy when worn.

I got 55k miles out of my last set. They would have gone another summer but I didn't want to chance another winter. I'm running 295/65/18s.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Blizztech by Firestone.

I just threw on a set of Cooper ATW's. They are a cousin of the AT3's that I loved. I've run a couple sets, and have sold (recommended) to a bunch of my buddies. I can think of 7-10 sets out there that all have a pile of miles on 30k plus on them. A couple buddies are on their second set. I've gotten 50k+ on two sets and wasn't going to run the last ones 53k ish over the winter.

One complaint I had on AT3s were they were mediocre on ice. But I never got stuck in a place that I thought I shouldn't have. Mud or ice/snow. As I was talking through the process with the salesman about a new set he brought these up and I took them. I do think they are a smidgen louder than the AT3s right from the get go, but in 2k miles they've quieted down. Still a pretty nasty howl at 80+. Not alot out there to go on, but I don't need a dedicated tire snow tire, but I'm not going to turn down added traction.

Good Luck.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I've also been impressed with the Duratracs. By far the best tire I've run for deep snow and packed snow. Obviously a mud tire is a little better in deep snow and Blizzaks are better on ice, but the Duratracs are outstanding all around.

I had them siped as well. I bought the 275/65R20s, but they offer 285/60R20s as well.

I have about 25,000 miles on them on my 14 Cummins. Seem to be wearing well and I will get another winter out of them, but I don't think I can get 50k out of them. We will see I guess.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I've also been impressed with the Duratracs. By far the best tire I've run for deep snow and packed snow. Obviously a mud tire is a little better in deep snow and Blizzaks are better on ice, but the Duratracs are outstanding all around.

I had them siped as well. I bought the 275/65R20s, but they offer 285/60R20s as well.

I have about 25,000 miles on them on my 14 Cummins. Seem to be wearing well and I will get another winter out of them, but I don't think I can get 50k out of them. We will see I guess.

You'll be surprised - I thought the same thing when I had 25-30k on my truck (11 Dmax). Over 50k on them now - but I will swap them out in a few weeks so I have fresh tread for this winter. (mine are not siped)

I really like the Duratracs - I will continue to buy these tires for my truck.

TK

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I put general grabber Arctic LT tires on my f350 two winters ago, best thing I ever did. I also dropped down to a 1" narrower 17" wheel and did narrower tires but kept the overall diameter the same so speedometer is still accurate. They are load e rated, quieter than the duratracs I run in the summer and virtually unstoppable on ice/snow. I've got 20k on them and I should get an easy 10-15k more before half the tread is gone. Five trips out west from MN last year, two of them through some pretty bad conditions with zero issues.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Look at Bridgestone Revo 2's, also. Have run multiple sets hundreds of thousands of miles on a Duramax, no issues. Worth a look, depending on your wheel size. Blizzacks are great without being siped, but are size-limited.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Take most any good set of ATs or MTs like Duratracs, Cooper At3, Toyo mt at rt, etc and sipe,them all the way across and get 90% as good of traction as dedicated snows, better loose/deep snow traction and better treadwear on dry pavement.
My 2c.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I ran a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's here in Alaska and won't buy them again. They are way greasier than the Cooper Discoverer M+S (which is my go to tire, no studs needed), ended up needing 4 wheel drive at least twice as much as the Cooper Discoverer M+S. They just packed up with our wet coastal snow and were completely useless. I had better traction the Year I ran Goodyear Gatorbacks all winter (Corvette tires).
Only reason I got the AT3's was they were sold out of the M+S when I made it to the big city and needed tires.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've always been a fan of Toyo M/T because of the sloppy conditions I can get into here in Montana.

I had some A/Ts one time. ONE TIME. HATED THEM off the pavement when there was ANY moisture of any kind. It was then I decided to buy tire chains. I never felt the urge to buy tire chains until I had the A/Ts.
I suffered through that set and went back to M/T as soon as they wore out.

After about 4 sets of M/Ts, which I've been totally happy with, I'm going to try these new Toyo R/T.

It had them installed on Saturday. I immediately felt a nice difference driving on asphalt.
They are more like a mud tire, but they are a hybrid between mud terrain and an all terrain (highway tire).
I THINK R/T stands for Radial Terrain.
They come with a 45k mile warranty.
They LOOK like mud terrains, but on asphalt they still behave like a highway tire. Holy crap they are quiet!!!!!

My truck runs way more smooth and quiet this week.

Toyo R/T
Toyo-Tread-Open-Country-RT-Off-Road-7-21-14.jpg

Toyo M/T
images.ashx

Toyo A/T
TOYOCAT_27.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I will second the TOYO MT as well.
Been running them for years now.
In a bad winter I will have the Siped as well

20c26d123678144767661746a2591c30.jpg
05da9e43e9eef3d571ab2d48855b3c76.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I ran a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's here in Alaska and won't buy them again. They are way greasier than the Cooper Discoverer M+S (which is my go to tire, no studs needed), ended up needing 4 wheel drive at least twice as much as the Cooper Discoverer M+S. They just packed up with our wet coastal snow and were completely useless. I had better traction the Year I ran Goodyear Gatorbacks all winter (Corvette tires).
Only reason I got the AT3's was they were sold out of the M+S when I made it to the big city and needed tires.
I agree 100%. I currently have Cooper AT3's on my Super Duty. They are junk. Didn't even get 20,000 miles on them and the rear tires were cupped and in ruff shape. The stock tires before that went 70,000+ miles. Went back to the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do about it being that it wasn't a 1/2 ton.

Premium Features