• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Choose a track for me: 2012 RMK Assault 155 w/chaincase

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I got the chance to ride a new Axys 155 this season, and although I felt my 2012, with 36" arms, was a significantly better handling sled, I was blown away with how much better that 2.6 series 6 track hooks up. So, in sticking with my "Never let your equipment hold you back" motto, I gotta get a new track.

I searched, but the forums are scattered with confusing information. Tell me what I should get for a track AND what modifications will be required. This is for a 2012 Pro, with chaincase, and I'd like to keep the total cost below $2k. For deep powder Wyoming snow.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The series 6 is also direct bolt in with stock 2.86 pitch drivers, fits with a chaincase, same as the 9104. Optimal clearance, probably not, but with a front cooler, there is less ice buildup, and you probably have as much or more clearance as a2.4 on a 15 or older pro without a front cooler.

CE is fully clipped, heavier, likely more durable, maybe a lot. 2.6 said to be better in the pow, CE better in harder snow.

hontri

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Installed 2.6 series 6 in 14 Pro. Direct bolt in. Lined front of tunnel with 1/16" uhmw plastic. No snow build up. Track has much better hook than stock track.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Oh sweet! Sounds like it's gonna be the Series 6. Reg2view, have you put one in a chaincase Pro? My RMK Assault doesn't have the bulkhead cooler. It's the same as a 2012 Pro for cooling.

I assume the only real difference in the tunnel, between the chaincase and belt drive, is the chaincase bump. So, it's a non-issue with 8 tooth stock drivers, correct?

hontri, did you ever run your sled without the UHMW to see what kind of a difference it made? I like your idea.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Camoplast 9104M

2.5in lug, direct bolt in.

I love mine, have had it on the last 2 sleds.

I would go with this track. Best track ever. It will fit with stock 8 tooth drivers and not require a chaincase housing modification. The 2.6 (Polaris Axys track) will require the 7 tooth drivers not to mention the premature wear issue going on with the 2.6's.

If I went to 7 tooth drivers and chaincase mod, then I would go with the Camo X3. It will kill the 2.6.

Check with Curt at Fastrax for the chaincase housing mod which will be required for 7 tooth drivers.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Reg2view, have you put one in a chaincase Pro?

I haven't, but I've looked at one with stock 8t 2.86 drivers, stock chaincase, and front cooler. Clearance was ok, still better than a stock pro without a cooler after ice buildup (I have both a pro without and a rmk with front cooler, I've seen the difference side by side on the snow). Owner said no rub with spec'ed track tension, but I didn't ride it. No chaincase mod with the stock 8t drivers. As DD said, if you go 7t, you must mod the case. What hontri did was nice for any pro, with any track without a cooler. Pick the track for where and how you like to ride.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I would go with this track. Best track ever. It will fit with stock 8 tooth drivers and not require a chaincase housing modification. The 2.6 (Polaris Axys track) will require the 7 tooth drivers not to mention the premature wear issue going on with the 2.6's.

If I went to 7 tooth drivers and chaincase mod, then I would go with the Camo X3. It will kill the 2.6.

Check with Curt at Fastrax for the chaincase housing mod which will be required for 7 tooth drivers.

Good point. I looked into the wear issue of the 2.6 and it doesn't look good. I have a clip tool and could fully clip the track, but it doesn't make sense to take a risk with a $1200 track, when i could buy one that's intended to fit my sled for less than $700.

So, it's probably going to be the CE 2.5, but very tempted to go for an X3. I just need to convince myself that an extra .5" and at least $500 is worth it. I don't have a turbo, yet...

What do y'all recommend between a CE 2.5 and X3? Is the X3 really that much better on a non-turbo sled? I ride in Alpine, WY and am a boondocker, not a point and shoot type of rider.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
There's another if you're not aware if it - CE 9174M. It's a 3" pitch 2.5, fully clipped, no saw teeth. The lug design is what the poo 2.6 is based on - or the CE 3.0 with 2.5 lugs. Some have liked it better than the 9104 in soft snow. Driver change to 7t and chaincase mod still required. FWIW.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Good to know, thanks, but if I'm changing drivers, I might as well go with an X3. The saw tooth design is definitely a mark against the CE 2.5 for me. My sled sees very little hard pack.

I think I may have just answered my own question...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good to know, thanks, but if I'm changing drivers, I might as well go with an X3. The saw tooth design is definitely a mark against the CE 2.5 for me. My sled sees very little hard pack.

I think I may have just answered my own question...

Yes you did...Go with the X3, Powerclaw 7 tooth drivers from Robbie at Avid, Ice Age (not Wahl Bros) anti-stab, and Fastrax chaincase housing mod. The difference in performance will keep you out of the dealership wanting a new Axys/Gen-4 for a couple of years.

If you are running stock Walker's, then get them revalved and serviced.

No comparison to a 2.5.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yes you did...Go with the X3, Powerclaw 7 tooth drivers from Robbie at Avid, Ice Age (not Wahl Bros) anti-stab, and Fastrax chaincase housing mod. The difference in performance will keep you out of the dealership wanting a new Axys/Gen-4 for a couple of years.

If you are running stock Walker's, then get them revalved and serviced.

No comparison to a 2.5.
Yep, definitely going with the X3. Was planning on getting the center port avid drivers to avoid having to add anti-stab. Is there an advantage to the Powerclaw drivers?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Yep, definitely going with the X3. Was planning on getting the center port avid drivers to avoid having to add anti-stab. Is there an advantage to the Powerclaw drivers?

Yeah there is...you don't have to chip ice or take a leak on the center driver when excessive ice builds up on that useless center driver and your track starts ratcheting.

I have a pic of a rider taking a leak on his center driver. He is now ordering Powerclaw drivers.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
There's another if you're not aware if it - CE 9174M. It's a 3" pitch 2.5, fully clipped, no saw teeth. The lug design is what the poo 2.6 is based on - or the CE 3.0 with 2.5 lugs. Some have liked it better than the 9104 in soft snow. Driver change to 7t and chaincase mod still required. FWIW.

I have the 9174m on my 13 pro and I love it 7 tooth 3 pitch drivers are required but it's worth it in my opinion two seasons on it not one torn lug and I don't see any sacrifice in deep powder track works very well

Premium Features